PDA

View Full Version : Small Cross Cut Sled - Versatile and Precise with 5-cut method

Steven Woodward
03-13-2021, 9:38 AM
I made a standard size crosscut sled but found that I was often cutting smaller pieces that would be better suited to a smaller lighter sled.

Some features implemented on the small sled:

Fence was aligned using five cut method, with a sacrificial fence.
Bessey clamp to hold small pieces that would be unsafe to hold by hand.
Clamp slides in a T-track that is secured to base with epoxy
Fence is designed so that accessories can be swapped between the sleds

https://youtu.be/9lZR3cWe23E

Andrew DiLorenzo
03-13-2021, 9:50 AM
I like it.

glenn bradley
03-13-2021, 10:01 AM
Nice looking sled Steven. I too mostly use my standard size sled. A large and small sled make things nicer when those tasks are at hand. I also have one specific to bevel cuts for small boxes. I find them so helpful I have even struggled with storing them despite tight quarters. The benefit outweighs the inconvenience by quite a bit.

Mike Walsh
03-13-2021, 10:06 AM
nice sled and great video

Frank Necaise
03-13-2021, 10:46 AM
Nice sled. Excellent job on the video.

Bill Carey
03-13-2021, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the post Steven - great idea and nice work on the vid.

Warren Lake
03-13-2021, 11:51 AM
only had one sled and it was large. from baltic birch so the sled could cross cut a 4 x 8. Made out of 1/2" baltic with hard maple front and rear. Not lightweight but no issue either, making a living was the focus.

Is that blade sharp? looks like you are cutting and not doing a full cut. Unless it was a big saw and blade not sure you might not get some deflection in the blade doing your four cuts that way, dont see an offcut. All we ever did was square the back fence with a good square and it worked fine. Biggest thing was runner play then you just hold it to one side.

Bryce Andersen
03-13-2021, 12:38 PM
Great video, I'm a subscriber now. Any chance at a link to your clamp that you used or the shims that you used?