PDA

View Full Version : Balboa House progress with doors installed

Mark Singer
01-07-2006, 7:19 PM
I haven't post much on the home since we were roughing in plumbing, stereo, fire sprinklers , electrical etc. Now that is complete and the gyp board is hung. I set the doors and jambs in place...had to do a little planning and shimming of the openings...but I manged to get very good consistent fits...these are mil-core jambs so there is no casing and no chance to cheat later...

Bob Winkler
01-07-2006, 7:21 PM
Nice doors Mark. Without casing, how do you finish the edges of the drywall?

Bob

Mark Singer
01-07-2006, 7:22 PM
Here are a few more pictures

Mark Singer
01-07-2006, 7:24 PM
Nice doors Mark. Without casing, how do you finish the edges of the drywall?

Bob

The metal mil core tucks into the sawcut ...very clean modern look

Peter Pedisich
01-07-2006, 7:26 PM
Mark,

Awesome work, I like the glass and proportions a lot.

My only hope of having a view like that is if this global warming thing really picks up!:D

Pete

Don Baer
01-07-2006, 7:27 PM
Very very nice work Mark.

Mark Singer
01-07-2006, 7:33 PM
A lot of the wood on the deck is scafolding and some supports that I used to hold melamine to keep the water out....it comes down and the view gets even better...I turned down a decent offer on the home already....its not on the market...I don't want a potential homeowner making my life miserable this early in the game:(

Keith Cope
01-07-2006, 7:55 PM
Looks like it's coming along nicely! I really enjoy seeing the progress and appreciate you sharing your work as you do! Maybe I can see it firsthand one day soon.

Jamie Buxton
01-07-2006, 7:56 PM
The metal mil core tucks into the sawcut ...very clean modern look

More explanation, please. What's "mil core"?

John Miliunas
01-07-2006, 8:00 PM
Ahhhhhhh....Man, that view is to die for! Absolutely, positively, one of the most bestest experiences of my life! I'm so glad I got to see that site up close and personal! :) Those doors look wonderful in there, but then again, I already knew they would! The arched beams, open views, superlative quality and design throughout. Looks wonderful, Mark. :) Hmmmm...Maybe in my next lifetime!!!:D :cool: (Hey, a guy can dream, right?:) )

Richard Wolf
01-07-2006, 8:09 PM
Very nice Mark. Is that a soap stone fireplace in the background?

Richard

Mark Singer
01-07-2006, 8:13 PM
Very nice Mark. Is that a soap stone fireplace in the background?

Richard

It will have a Venitian Smooth plaster face and a copper sourround...a Plasma TV goes above.

Jim Becker
01-07-2006, 8:20 PM
They look marvy, Mark!! And that arched ceiling in the large space is going to be wonderful...

What a view!!

Mark Singer
01-07-2006, 8:22 PM
Here is a jamb detail....

Kent Parker
01-07-2006, 8:40 PM
Hello Mark,

Love the curved glue lams! Being a boat builder it always warms my heart to see some curves utilized, especially big ones:)

So the metal "mil core" looks to be a piece of angled metal. Is it coated in some manner for a "finished" look or to prevent corrosion? How is it fastened. Mitered corners? I really like the simplicity of this detail.

Cheers,

Kent

Mark Singer
01-08-2006, 1:33 AM
Kent,
It is a drywall molding ...nailed through the Gyp Bd. and plastered over with topping...sanded and the edge of the metal is painted...it is all pre galvinized so no rust

Karl Laustrup
01-08-2006, 8:12 AM
...I turned down a decent offer on the home already....its not on the market...I don't want a potential homeowner making my life miserable this early in the game:(

LOL Mark. I can understand your decision here. Besides, I would think the house would be worth even more once completed. Or did I miss some pix along the way?

I doubt very many buyers will even understand some of the extra's you are putting into this home, such as the doors, which are beautiful by the way. :)

Are there pix of the outside of the house since the foundation work was started? Those are the last I recall of the lot. I would like to see the outside now as compared to the foundation shots.

Beautiful work on the doors and overall design of the home Mark.

Karl