PDA

View Full Version : Spline jig

George Yetka
03-12-2021, 10:46 AM
I am in need of a spline jig for picture frames. I like the style that rides over the fence, as I dont need anything huge taking up room. I was wondering since I have Jessem rollers on my table saw fence and was wondering if I wrapped over the fence and left enough room so I clear them will this thing hold true or would contact on top of the fence be better

Alex Zeller
03-12-2021, 1:04 PM
I had to do something not exactly what you are doing but close. I made a couple small jewelry boxes that had compound curves on the outside. I decided to experiment with making the splines 1/4" thick with rounded bottoms. To make the groove I used a 1/4" half round router bit. But it didn't go deep enough. So I did it in two passes. The outside of the boxes were still flat at the time. I just used two pieces of wood cut at a 45 and screwed to 1/4" plywood. I tried sandwiching it between the fence and another board. But because it was two passes the groove didn't come out perfect. But it wasn't until I made the curves that it really showed up.

So I basically did exactly what you're talking about. I made a sled that fit over the fence with boards screwed to it to hold the box at the right angle. I used a flat bottom saw blade to make the grooves. The board on the blade side of the fence went all the way to the table while the one on the opposite side didn't. I ripped a piece (1 1/2" thick hardwood) that was ever so slightly smaller than the thickness of the fence to connect them. It was too tight so I kept adding layers of masking tape to make it wider until it was tight but able to be slid without too much force. It worked great. My fence on my PM66 goes slightly down hill as you move away from the clamping side so the sled didn't sit tight to the top of the fence. I think as long as the piece connecting the two vertical pieces is stout enough you'll be fine. I used plywood but I think the next time I do it I'm going to try MDF. It should slide better on the fence.

With the frame clamped in place and it fitting snugly on the fence all I needed to do was keep downward pressure on the sled as I made the cut. I found that I would set it up on the fence with the box clamped then walk to the back of the saw and pull it to me. My hands were above the fence on the opposite side of the plywood to the saw blade with my body even further away from the blade. So it felt very safe.

George Yetka
03-12-2021, 8:09 PM
I was thinking after building the frame jig and frames today maybe I will make one for my router instead.. my fence has a bunch of t track ,I may look for something that will smoothly run in that

Doug Garson
03-12-2021, 10:40 PM
Why not just make one for your table saw that runs in the mitre slot?

Mel Fulks
03-12-2021, 10:55 PM
I won't try to change your mind, but most expensive ones from frame shops are not splined. They are glued and then clamped in something
like those old Stanley frame clamps and nailed .