PDA

View Full Version : A few rounds with Mike Tyson.

Michael Weber
03-11-2021, 11:34 AM
That’s how I felt after an Impacted and infected upper right wisdom tooth was removed yesterday. My wife told me the nurse kept telling her what a difficult extraction it was. I believe it. I’m guessing they had to use some kind of sledge hammer. Evidently the tooth was in a difficult position. The surgeon did mention the tooth wasn’t located in the mouth earlier when he evaluated the X-rays. Sure do hope the 3 left remain stable. My heart bypass wasn’t as traumatic. Short term anyway. Much better today and grateful for medical advances.

Lisa Starr
03-11-2021, 11:55 AM
I get it! When my wisdom teeth were to be removed the dentist took one look at the x-rays and said in the hospital under general anesthesia! The following day, I had finger print bruises on both my cheeks where they had been prying trying to get them out.

Roger Feeley
03-11-2021, 2:15 PM
I feel for you. All my wisdom teeth are long gone. For one of them, the oral surgeon offered me a general or a local. I took the local which was a very bad idea. The roots were wrapped around the mandibular nerve so the surgeon had to carefully bust them up and take them out in pieces. It took 4 1/2 hours. I have no idea how many times they injected the local stuff. I should have taken the gas.

Anesthesiologists are my hero. After I had a knee replaced, range of motion wasn't coming back so they did a 'manipulation' which is where they basically yank my leg back and forth to break up some scar tissue. They had the IV in and I saw the tray and it had this giant sized syringe with a needle I swore was 1/8" in diameter. I said, "That's to wash something?" The nurse replied, "Nope, all that is going into you. And we have this system to apply electricity to the needle so we can see your leg jerk and know that we are near a major nerve." I was just about to kind of freak out when the anesthesiologist slipped something into the IV. Basically, I said, "Far out, man" and that's pretty much the last I remember of that. They described the anesthetic as something that doesn't really do much for the pain but messes up my ability to form short term memory. So, in any given millisecond, it's just dawning on my that this really hurts.

Dave Cav
03-11-2021, 2:35 PM
A couple of my wisdom teeth had to be taken out with a hammer and chisel, too. I'm glad I got it done by a civilian dentist before I left for basic training.

Michael Weber
03-11-2021, 2:49 PM
Wow! Sounds like I got off easy in comparison. Originally scheduled for a local the surgeon took one look at the X-ray and noped that idea. I was pretty well out of it, though I was aware of them moving my head around for some reason.

Jim Becker
03-11-2021, 4:57 PM
My the Ibuprofen gods ease your pain... sheesh ...I'm sure that was no fun!

Bruce Wrenn
03-11-2021, 8:50 PM
Had all mine done in dentist's office. Basically painless. Now that your tooth is out, I'm sure it relieved the pressure in your wallet also.

John Goodin
03-11-2021, 10:15 PM
Michael, I have felt your pain — same issue and same location. I also have a hazy memory of the oral surgeon standing over me with his feet on the chair trying to get the tooth out.

Mel Fulks
03-11-2021, 10:40 PM
Looks like a new Dental Forum! I need it. Old dentist retired. Said he was gonna find someone really good to buy the practice. Went to new
Doc , a lady Doc. She did the enamel cleaning without wearing gloves ! Anybody experienced that ? Internet says it exists. I say it
should not. Never seen it before and I will see Haley’s Comet before I see another gloveless dentist !

Bill Dufour
03-16-2021, 10:33 PM
Did your ear fall off? you did say a round with Mike Tyson. Fee like Van Gough maybe.
BIll D.

Rob Luter
03-17-2021, 5:47 AM
I had a tooth like that. They wanted to do a local and I insisted on a general. It took them an hour to get it all out. I asked to see it when I woke up. There was no piece left larger than a grain of rice.

Jason Roehl
03-17-2021, 6:44 AM
I had two of my remaining three wisdom teeth removed about 4 years ago, both on the same side. The lower was a simple extraction, but the upper was impacted (I was 42-ish at the time). I had it done on a Wednesday, took the rest of the week off, then had a 3-day weekend (MLK Jr. Day). I stopped taking the Vicodin on Sunday so that there wouldn’t be any in my system when I went back to work. By Thursday, I was getting pretty tired of the pulsing pain and pressure at the former site of the upper wisdom tooth and in my sinuses on that side. Instead of just a couple Advil at a time, I took four. That knocked down the pain and swelling, never to return.

The procedure was done under sedation. When they had me counting backwards, I thought I’d try to see if I could beat the stuff. I started at 10, and I remember getting to 7. I do recall the sensation of some pretty vigorous yanking and tugging on my mouth briefly, and they had to use three units of sedation total, only two of which the insurance covered (at 50% like the rest of the procedure—I paid the full third dose). But, when I came to, I was fully alert, unlike others in my family when they were sedated (much to my and my wife’s amusement).

Thomas L Carpenter
03-17-2021, 8:35 AM
Had my first wisdom tooth extracted while at Navy boot camp at Great Lakes. Needless to say nobody is getting near the three I have left.

Michael Weber
03-17-2021, 12:39 PM
Had my first wisdom tooth extracted while at Navy boot camp at Great Lakes. Needless to say nobody is getting near the three I have left.
That’s exactly how I’m feeling a week later. I’m 74 so with any luck :eek:;). Thought I was about healed on Sunday but on Monday the discomfort increased which I thought strange. If it’s not at least better by Friday I’ll call.