PDA

View Full Version : Disston backsaw

Matt Williamson
03-11-2021, 10:53 AM
I picked up this backsaw and am interested in a little more information. It looks like it may be from the 1850s or so. The photo doesn't look like it, but the plate is pretty smooth and it seems to be in pretty good shape. It cuts well enough, both rip and crosscut, and I intend for it to be a user. It is missing one screw. It is 14 teeth per inch filing. http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/medv2.html

My questions:

Anything I need to know about these old saws? (I have been hesitant to do too much for cosmetic reasons since it is so old.)

It seems to be filed strangely and I am a bit nervous to refile it as it is very old and I am relatively inexperienced. Is the filing a different sort than a traditional rip filing?

Is there anywhere that I can replace the nut that is missing without changing the screw. I like the brass screw that is there now.

Thanks,
Matt

Tom M King
03-11-2021, 1:05 PM
Just filed by someone who didn't know what they were doing, or had poor eyesight. Otherwise, it looks a lot like most of my users. Sorry, no help on the other questions.

Jim Koepke
03-11-2021, 2:56 PM
Hi Matt and Welcome to the Creek.

+1 on
filed by someone who didn't know what they were doing

Hopefully Pete Taran will chime in. He is the resident saw expert and the person behind > http://www.vintagesaws.com <.

Finding replacements for old split saw nuts may be a challenge. Some have reported making their own. Make sure the threads on the bolt are not messed up.

The early split nut saw bolts were easy to break due to the post being soldered to the head.

Your profile doesn't list your location. If you are in an area with antique shops, junk shops and used tools shops you may be able to network with the folks in those stores to help you out.

You will be amazed at how many great deals can come your way just by starting up a conversation.

jtk

Phil Mueller
03-11-2021, 7:27 PM
If it were my saw, I’d go to Pete’s site and pay a few bucks for a professional appraisal and an estimate to restore. It appears to be a decent vintage saw worth restoring. I’ve had Pete restore a backsaw for me and it is now a joy to use.

Matt Williamson
03-12-2021, 8:06 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will contact Pete. It's a cool saw and it makes sense to have it set up correctly.