PDA

View Full Version : Green Wood

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2006, 5:27 PM
I got a call today from a friend. He told me he had some Elm wood and wanted to know if I wanted a piece for turning. I told him yes. So I got a couple of logs about 18" in diameter and 22 inches long. I followed Bill's directions he gave on his DVD. So one log will give me four 9 1/2" bowl blanks. Now I don't have anchor seal but I painted them with Latex paint. Do I put more than one heavy coat one or just one? Should I keep them in the shop which is heated at about 66 to 68 deg. or should I store them in my unheated shed? Thanks.

Dennis Peacock
01-07-2006, 5:41 PM
Bernie,

Paint you 2 coats on the endgrain and put them in the unheated shed. This will allow you to store them longer. The best solution is to rough them out as soon as you can, put them in the alcohol bath, wrap them and let them dry until you are GOOD and READY for the final turning.

I've had the best luck with turning while wet, soaking, wrapping and then storing the dried, roughed out bowls in a pile in the shop. I've got some that have been setting ready for final turning now for about 1 year with no signs of damage. Just my 2¢ worth and experiences with this.

Cecil Arnold
01-07-2006, 5:42 PM
Bernie, I would put at least another coat of latex on and put them in the shed. The real question is: why don't you turn those puppies?

Well Dennis posted while I was writing, hut he's right. It's a bunch easier to turn green. I've got blanks that are not quiet as old as Dennis and they are all still good.

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2006, 6:12 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Cecil by the time I got done with my clock service calls today and then he called I just had time to cut them up. I also don't have my chuck yet (PSI takes forever) so didn't want to start anything yet. Will probably give one or two a go next weekend since it is a long one for me and I have to be out of town Sunday thru Wednesday.