PDA

View Full Version : Jessem Clear Cut TS Stock Guides for rabbet cut

Forrest Gon
03-10-2021, 10:45 PM
Anyone here has experience using the Jessem Clear Cut TS Stock Guides for rabbet cut?

The guide should be able to hold the piece firmly down to the table, but at the same time, the "arms" will be on the left side of the blade and pushing the wood to the fence, will that be an issue?

Matthew Hills
03-11-2021, 1:44 AM
How are you cutting the rabbett?

If you are making the 2 cuts to release the waste piece, I'd consider using an L-fence (https://www.finewoodworking.com/project-guides/shop-projects/versatile-tablesaw-l-fence) so that the offcut doesn't get pinched between blade and fence. Or you can set up your cut to release the waste on the left side of the blade.

If you are just wasting the material with a dado blade, I don't think the jessem guides would make much difference.
Also, I'm not sure how much downward pressure they maintain (this can sometimes be a problem with dado cuts)

Matt

Eric Arnsdorff
03-11-2021, 10:30 PM
I have the Jessem Stock Guides and I'm very happy with them. I have used them to cut rabbets and dados where the guides were extended beyond the blade and they worked fine. I haven't done it a lot.

I will add that I can see the safety concern of doing this as it is pushing the wood toward the blade. It would be wiser to turn it around to cut the grooves. I have a 52" fence and could have done it with the stock reversed. I did it to keep the stock down and tight to the fence but it would be smarter to have used my push blocks to hold it down with the guides keeping it tight against the fence.