PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 45 needed a little work

steven c newman
03-10-2021, 10:24 PM
While in the process of resetting this plane a few times, became obvious that a few things needed redone...

trouble getting thumbscrews to move, without a pair of pliers....2 were replaced..
Happened to have these two slotted bolts...much easier to tighten or loosen with a screwdriver....
These other two thumbscrews? Can't replace them, just yet....pulled them both out, cleaned and oiled the threads, seemed to help out a bit...

had an issue with the #12 cutter....was a hair undersized...0.249" Got out another about the same width..
The #12 is the shiny one..the other merely has a "T" stamped on it....it measures in at 0.251"....hmm...the reason for the issues, was that when I tried to clean up a groove with the new cutter in my router plane, the new Veritas 1/4"cutter didn't fit into the groove made by a "1/4" cutter.....measured the Veritas....0.252"....ok....oil stone to the sides of the Veritas...and try again..
This time in a groove plough by the "T" cutter....so, apparently they are both at 0.251"?

New cutter also needed sharpened....bevel was NOT flat, nor the back...got that fixed, the Veritas stoned down a bit ( got rid of a chipped spot in it's edge ) ready to go to work...anyone want a pair of Stanley thumbscrews....or should I just hang onto them...:rolleyes: