PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder vise

Jim Ritter
03-10-2021, 5:26 PM
I’ve always liked the idea of a shoulder vise, and could see that it could be very useful but when it came time to build a bench I just didn’t think I would use it as much as a leg vise. My bench is on the small side about 5’ long and about 22” wide. I have two leg vises, one on each side. Back in the ‘80’s in FineWoodworking magazine someone adapted one to his bench utilizing dog holes. I had a good leg vise so this is what I made. I just clamp it in the leg vise when I need it when not in use it stand up on the floor at the end of the bench. The bevel on the inner filler piece is the same angle as the slope at the top of the leg vise so I just place it on top of the vise and tighten. It is strong enough for the work I need it for.
I still need to clean it up and round off some edges but since there are a couple threads on vises I thought I’d share in the state it’s in.
Jim

William Fretwell
03-10-2021, 5:44 PM
You can call it your Moxon shoulder! A little oil on that thread I think, especially near salt water. Nothing rusts on the Great Lakes; I jest.

Jim Ritter
03-10-2021, 5:48 PM
Yes it could use a little oil or wax. I have a real hard time in my barn with temperatures swings and condensation. By next winter I’ll have a climate controlled space for the bench and most of the tools.
Jim

Andrew Seemann
03-10-2021, 6:14 PM
Very nice. I do like shoulder vises. Mine gets a lot of use.

Phil Mueller
03-10-2021, 6:16 PM
Jim, that’s a really great idea. I’m not sure I‘d use a shoulder vise as much as an end vise, but the concept of building a clamp that clamps into an existing vise is food for thought. Thank you for sharing.

Jim Ritter
03-10-2021, 6:21 PM
Not my idea in general, but glad to share. Mostly I didn’t want that shoulder sticking out from the bench all the time, so this works great.
Jim

Phil Mueller
03-10-2021, 6:24 PM
I hear you. Sticking out all the time has been my concern every time I see one. Again, great solution.

Tom Bussey
03-12-2021, 6:02 PM
What a neat idea. I will have to ponder it for a while. Thanks for sharing.