PDA

View Full Version : Better to light a single candle...

roger wiegand
03-10-2021, 1:44 PM
So, many of us with Rikon grinders have bemoaned the lousy light it provides. I've tried rigging up a couple of alternatives myself. A couple days ago while messing with it I realized that it wasn't a built-in permanent LED, but rather a screw-in light bulb. Well, we have choices in light bulbs!

It took a little fussing to get the right thing, but Amazon provided and I now have a light that is probably 20 times brighter! You need to look for a E14 base (common in Europe), bigger than a US candelabra base, 12V LED bulb. I bought these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078JJSTCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but many others will work.

I had to bend the outer ring contact in the socket out just slightly to make contact, the base is just slightly taller than on the original and the contact is deep in the socket.

Let there be light!

Steve Eure
03-10-2021, 4:21 PM
Thanks for the heads up and the link Roger. Will have to look into this. Your right about the factory light also. Can't frigure out why Rikon, with all the moaning about the poor lighting, would not address this. Thanks again.

Dave Mount
03-10-2021, 6:15 PM
Great tip, thanks!

roger wiegand
03-10-2021, 6:59 PM
Thanks for the heads up and the link Roger. Will have to look into this. Your right about the factory light also. Can't frigure out why Rikon, with all the moaning about the poor lighting, would not address this. Thanks again.

The factory light is a 0.36 watt LED, basically a nightlight bulb. 4-6 watt replacements seem readily available.

John K Jordan
03-11-2021, 8:44 AM
Thanks, I ordered some. I thought their light was just a cruel joke.

Robert Hayward
03-11-2021, 4:05 PM
I realize replacing a light bulb is quicker and cheaper than my solution. I made a small bracket using a slice of angle iron. Then bought a sewing machine gooseneck lamp on Ebay. Wired the lamp into the grinder switch so the light comes on with the grinder. The lamp I bought uses a standard light bulb up to I think it is 75 watts.