PDA

View Full Version : Crazy beetle question

Sean Foley_CT
03-10-2021, 12:09 PM
Hey all, been lurking for a while, first time poster. Had 3 ash trees and one cherry tree cut down in the backyard recently and I saved a couple small 8-12” diameter logs. Planned on making a couple wood mallets as that’s all I could think of to use green wood for and I’m a beginner.
The ash trees were dead, caused by emerald ash borers I believe. We were told they were dying about 10 years ago. Bark and limbs were falling off for a long time and I could see the signature S grooves under the bark from beetles. The cherry tree was looking rough so idk if it had borers also.

So here’s my question. Are emerald ash borers a danger to wood in the house? I have the logs about 6 feet from the back of the house on a tarp and removed all the bark. There’s no exposed wood on the back of house as everything is vinyl siding, aluminum trim, and cinderblock kneewall under siding. I briefly brought the logs inside garage which has some exposed framing to coat the ends in glue to slow the checking already starting. I do see one tiny hole in one of the stumps probably from a beetle. Is it bad idea even messing with these logs, should I just dispose of them?

Dave Seng
03-10-2021, 1:36 PM
Are Emerald Ash Borers a danger to the wood in the house?

In a word - No. That's not to say that other insects (ants or termites) might decide that the dead wood is attractive and decide to take up residence and tuck in for a good meal or nesting. But, as long as you keep the logs piled away from the house, you should be reasonably safe.