PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw kickback to the forehead

Zachary Hoyt
03-10-2021, 11:28 AM
I had a very odd thing happen in the shop last night. It was a learning experience, and no lasting harm seems to have been done. I am posting this in case it may prevent the same thing from happening to someone else. I was starting to resaw a 1/8" layer off a roughly 15" long, up to 6" wide piece of curly ash, about 3/4" thick. It was not a regularly shaped piece. I had cut the live edges off, but the sides were not straight, and both were a bit convex. It always makes me nervous to start a cut on the bandsaw where the leading edge is not in contact with the table, so I made sure the guide was set low enough so that the back end of the wood could not be flipped up and bring my hands into the blade.

I had just begun to cut when something happened, as far as I can tell the blade caught and pulled the front end of the wood down and it spun into the air and hit my right between the eyebrows, just where that ridge of bone sticks out over the eyes and nose. It also bent down the center of the 3" dia. x1/16" thick aluminum throat plate I made for the bandsaw, so it hit hard. I got a bump about the shape of an Oreo cookie on my forehead, which came up within a minute or two but had mostly receded by this morning. I also have a triangular red patch there containing 3 or 4 parallel scratches. So far ibuprofen for the swelling and aloe for the scratches seem to be helping, and no serious damage seems to have been done. I have what I hope will be a temporary mark of Cain sort of thing, but that's okay. I am very lucky that the wood didn't hit me in the eye or the mouth. I will not cut anything this way again. When I resaw I will make the bottom side flat or concave first, even if it isn't the best wood utilization.

Alex Zeller
03-10-2021, 11:39 AM
One of the few things that can go wrong is when you don't have support under the wood. I watched a friend try to cut the bottom of a round bowl blank to smooth it up. Before I could say something the blade caught it and turned it into a spinning wheel that flew across the shop floor. Nothing was hurt but nobody likes it when you loose control of a piece of wood. Luckily you didn't get hurt.

Frank Pratt
03-10-2021, 11:44 AM
Ouch! That must have made your eyes water. Glad your OK. We can all use regular reminders to consider the actions & reactions that will occur when performing any woodworking operation. One woodworker posted a youtube of him cutting a cookie off of a short log. Just into the cut the blade grabbed & sent the log into a high RPM spin. It was very quick & very violent. The blade was ruined & I thing the upper guide arm may have been damaged, but he was not seriously injured.

Paul F Franklin
03-10-2021, 12:22 PM
Glad your injuries were not too serious. Thanks for the reminder that even though the bandsaw is consider "safer" than many other tools, bad stuff can happen, and happen quickly.

Doug Garson
03-10-2021, 12:29 PM
Yes the downward force of the blade can push the unsupported end of a piece down and the other end goes up. One way to prevent this is hot melt glue a piece of scrap wood or plywood with a straight edge on the bottom to the side of the workpiece so there is continuous support. Glad your injuries are not serious.

Frederick Skelly
03-10-2021, 1:33 PM
I'm glad you didnt get hurt more seriously. Thanks for the reminder.

Ron Citerone
03-10-2021, 2:08 PM
Thanks for passing that on. Glad you are OK!

Mike Henderson
03-10-2021, 2:22 PM
Glad you're okay. Sam Maloof used to do some crazy things on a bandsaw but he managed to keep control. I watched him one time and cringed.

Mike

Mel Fulks
03-10-2021, 2:43 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Henderson;3106154]Glad you're okay. Sam Maloof used to do some crazy things on a bandsaw but he managed to keep control. I watched him one time and cringed.

Here’s an old note on that very subject: When you want to see Maloof saw ....stand Aloof ,or even far

glenn bradley
03-10-2021, 3:49 PM
Also glad you are OK. Sam did always say "never do this" . . . :). I lost a throat plate when cutting some material that was not resting flat on the table. Bandsaws are great for ripping irregular stuff but, obviously there is a limit and it sounds like you found it. My throat plate also took one for the team and was destroyed. This is why I cringe whenever someone makes the arguably incorrect statement that bandsaws are "safe" compared to those nasty old tablesaws. ;-)

Justin Rapp
03-10-2021, 3:50 PM
accidents happen. I got a kickback from my tablesaw a few days ago. I was cross-cutting a piece of wood that was 3/4 x 5/8 and 20ish inches long. I was cutting about 8 inches off and was lazy and didn't but my miter gauge on and just did by hand holding the longer side - fingers way clear of the blade. Well I must have twisted the wood a bit and the blade caught it and tossed it right into my other hand. What a sting that was.

next time - just use the miter saw....

Matthew Hills
03-10-2021, 4:17 PM
[QUOTE=Mike Henderson;3106154]Glad you're okay. Sam Maloof used to do some crazy things on a bandsaw but he managed to keep control. I watched him one time and cringed.

Here’s an old note on that very subject: When you want to see Maloof saw ....stand Aloof ,or even far

From his taunton video: "I recommend you *do not* use the bandsaw the way I'm using it"