PDA

View Full Version : Montana Brand / Rocky Mountain Twist Brad Point Bits? (and other tools from them)

Joshua Murphy
03-09-2021, 3:25 PM
First thread here. Been shopping for brad point bits and grateful for opinions on this site. I looked around and found a couple of old brad point bit threads from 2018 at the newest (https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?264522-BRad-point-bits). That was a great thread, but the "best set" discussion centered around a $269 drill bit set. I paid $150 for my old radial arm drill press including the maybe $50 for a new switch and chuck. (Lotta elbow grease and oil, though). I'm not sure I'm ready to spend that when I drill about half my holes with a bit brace anyway.

I'm interested in knowing if any new "best set"s are out there, but also curious if anyone here has tried out this USA-made brand I just found, Montana Brand Tools (I think the manufacturer is Rocky Mountain Twist, or else the Montana Brand is a dba for marketing purposes). Have you used their stuff? Does it hold up?

I was intrigued by the fact that they hold a patent on their X29 brad point bits (https://www.montanabrandtools.com/collections/x29-bradpoint-drill-bits), and their testing videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOAuyTj71N4) show the bits drilling clean holes at crazy speeds. And the bits are like $5 a piece. They only make 6 sizes, but they are sizes I often need, so I took a chance and ordered a kit that contains: one 6-piece set of black oxide finished brad point bits, two retractable-center plug cutters, and a combination pilot drill/driver. Here's a brief first-impressions review of what I received:

Haven't put it all through the paces yet, but I'm so impressed with what I just unboxed that I wanted to share.

The bits are SHARP. They feel and (more importantly) roll dead straight. Even the flutes feel like they could cut my fingers.
Plug cutters seem fine; I wanted some self centering ones to use in my hand drill, and so I got them in this kit. I'll need to test them out.
The combination drill and driver is super-impressive. I didn't even think I needed this,but I am genuinely excited about it. Feels pretty high quality, but time will tell.

This is one of those "drill/countersink, flip, drive" sets you see at Rockler and other places, but significantly better design, IMO.

The driver bit and the drill are held into the reversible armature with BOTH grub screws and a strong magnet. Same size grub screw holds on the countersink. This makes it impossible (or at least really difficult) to drop and lose a bit while loosening the grub screw for a changeover. It also takes all the wobble out of the driver bit (at least at that one point of contact) because it slips into a magnetic holder and then gets cranked down. Solid.
The Driver Housing that the reversible armature goes into (the part that attaches to your impact driver) features a spring-loaded ball bearing to hold in the armature and THAT is backed up with a snap-to-lock collar. Impressive. The Rockler one definitely doesn't have that.
The first thing I noticed was they included a tube full of replacement pilot drill bits and even an extra grub screw. Classy move.
Then I couldn't find the &$*$( hex key anywhere. How do you design something this nice and not include a place to keep the hex key? I take it all apart, looking for hidden chambers in the tool box. No luck. Finally, I dig through the trash for the package and read the instructions on the box. The HEX KEY IS BUILT IN (PRESS FIT) TO THE BOTTOM OF THE DRIVER HOUSING. So the whole driver housing can be used as a screwdriver to tighten and loosen ANY grub screw on the reversible armature. That should also keep me from cranking down too hard on the set screws with an Allen key.

Okay, so that's first impressions. A real in-use review will have to wait a week or two probably. Please comment if you've used their stuff and have opinions.

Thanks, all

Stephen Rosenthal
03-09-2021, 4:18 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Joshua, and nice write-up. Haven’t used that brand but I’ve heard of them. This is what I have plus I added a few other sizes as needed. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/power-tool-accessories/drill-bits/42247-hss-lipped-imperial-brad-point-drills?item=07J0107

They are extremely, almost dangerously sharp and very true.

Marc Fenneuff
03-09-2021, 4:44 PM
Menards carries the Montana brand in my local store and I've picked up a couple individual bits. They look promising

Richard Coers
03-09-2021, 4:49 PM
I much prefer the cutter geometry on the Lee Valley bits, and they are also made in America bits. The Lee Valley geometry is more like a knife, and the Montana is more like a scraper.

Joshua Murphy
03-09-2021, 4:55 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Joshua, and nice write-up. Haven’t used that brand but I’ve heard of them. This is what I have plus I added a few other sizes as needed. https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/power-tool-accessories/drill-bits/42247-hss-lipped-imperial-brad-point-drills?item=07J0107

They are extremely, almost dangerously sharp and very true.

Thanks, Stephen. Those LV bits look great, but also very pricey at about $10 each. I may decide that's worth it at some point (or to just buy them in specific sizes as needed). I'm sure that price is a function of quality, but it feels prohibitive when I look at their big set.

So maybe I should reset my ask: what's the "best bang for the buck" set of brad points? If you want bits that cut clean holes, are true, stay sharp, and cut without a lot of undue friction, how cheap can you go?

I've been using twist bits and forstner bits up to now in my drill press, so this is new territory for me. I have a bunch of tricks to tame chip out on a twist bit, and it's only recently occurred to me I should just move away from those for wood altogether. Thanks, all

Joshua Murphy
03-09-2021, 4:57 PM
I almost forgot to add: the Montana Brand (MB) bits have flats on three sides to prevent slipping in a chuck. I'm impressed with all their design work every time I notice a feature. I really hope the bits are quality steel.

Joshua Murphy
03-09-2021, 5:01 PM
I much prefer the cutter geometry on the Lee Valley bits, and they are also made in America bits. The Lee Valley geometry is more like a knife, and the Montana is more like a scraper.
Thanks!

That's the first time I've heard someone compare these favorable to LV. That's good news. I'm still skeptical they will retain their claimed cutting speed for a very long time, but I'm not going to intentionally burn out a set trying to prove a point. I'll need to come up with a hardwood drilling task in the next day or two so I can get a better feel for these bits. I will try to reply back here with pictures and impressions when I have some.

Joshua Murphy
03-10-2021, 1:58 PM
Been busy with other things, but I took literally 5 minutes to play with the new bits. I can confirm the half inch bit at 700 RPM can drill about 5/4" into a scrap of hardwood in 5 seconds or less without pushing hard. Not sure what the wood species is. Maybe honey locust? It's industrial salvage from an old steel tube works.

Holes are pretty clean, but not perfect in this piece of wood. Way faster than my forstners, and cleaner AND faster than my twist bits. Chips cleared exceptionally well, with almost nothing left in the hole and no backing the drill out mid-operation to clear chips. I only cut until the pilot poked out, so I could evaluate chip clearance.

Will revisit with different speeds and with some other bits and different wood. Here's some screen shots from the crappy handheld video I took.