PDA

View Full Version : Tri Fuel Generator question - little long winded

Mike Tempel
01-07-2006, 3:59 PM
I am interested in getting a generator before the next hurricane season and am currently looking into getting one that is tri fuel - meaning it will run on natural gas, propane, or gasoline with the flip of a switch. I do not relish the thought of having to store all the gas cans I would need to keep a generator running for an extended period of time so I am looking towards one that will also run on natural gas. I have a tee on the gas line feeding my pool heater (3/4" tee coming off a 1 1/2" supply line under ~2psig). I am interested in a portable since a stationary model may not make it through a hurricane - I could take the portable with me when we evacuate (aka - flee) and then have it to use when we get back. The chances of me losing natural gas supply is fairly slim for any period of time so I don't think this will be a huge concern. I will have about 20 or 25 gallons of gas in cans ready when we run away so most if not all of it should be available when we return. 20 or 25 gallons should last a few days of limited use and I don't imagine gas stations will be open with no power so I am planning on using the nat gas as its supply. I understand that using a portable generator on nat gas loses about 20-25% of its rated capacity so I am looking into getting at least a 7500watt continuous rated generator. I have seen those at Northern Tool and have found a company out of WV that sells the conversion kits that just bolt on.
Does anyone have any experience or advice they could give me concerning this? I may put on a transfer switch on the house breaker box to run the kitchen appliances (fridge and freezer) and the master bedroom (small TV, fan, couple of lights, and maybe a small room AC) but this may be done sometime later. For the time being I am planning on running a few extension cords to supply the needs. I figure it is best to get ready now and on my way out of or back into town I will stop and get a small room AC since they will be easier to get than will a generator. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
I know I asked this question before but I just found out about the conversion kits and was hoping to save some money. I don't like the idea of 3200 bucks for the Northern big dog and I wonder if the smaller Northern for 2000 bucks (both with Honda engines) is something I would like to do. I found a Generac with all the accessories I would need for 1150 and it is a 7500 continuous/13500 surge rated capacity. It has a Generac engine on it.
Thanks, Mike