PDA

View Full Version : Uneven Color on Plane Handle

John Serna
03-08-2021, 6:17 PM
Hey guys.

I'm fairly new to woodworking. I refinished the handle on an old early 1900s plane that I came into. After completing it, I notice some lines in the rosewood that are much lighter. I'm wondering what I did wrong. I sanded it down prior to finishing it. Wondering now if I didn't get all the old finish off?

To my eye there are distinct light lines around the base of it, and overall I'm not loving the finish (boiled linseed oil).

https://imgur.com/a/9qwuR2j

Thanks!

Jim Becker
03-08-2021, 7:21 PM
They certainly look fine to me, John. Wood has variable color and character and your refinish may have reinforced that.

Frederick Skelly
03-08-2021, 7:38 PM
John,
I think it looks fine. You didnt do anything wrong - the grain just looks that way.
Now put that plane to work!
Fred

John Serna
03-08-2021, 8:53 PM
Thanks, all.

What I see are lighter lines at the curves (almost like I sanded through a layer of finish?)...notably at the bottom of the handle. I know that's a thing, but I haven't finished many pieces, so I wasn't sure if it was that issue or just wood variation.

roger wiegand
03-09-2021, 7:30 AM
Looks like completely normal, natural variation in the wood to me. You could probably spend a couple days with dyes and Q-tips to get it to match up if it really bugs you, but I certainly wouldn't.

John Serna
03-09-2021, 10:52 AM
Thanks, guys! I'll let it be. I let it sit with boiled linseed oil overnight, and it looks better today. I think a thin coat of shellac will help it, too, so I'll add that once dry.