PDA

View Full Version : Epilog vs. Pinnacle

Bob Kline
01-07-2006, 3:19 PM
I'm a brand new laser wannabee trying to decide what machine I need. Most of my internet searching leads me to believe that I would be well served by either an Epilog Mini or a Pinnacle M Series. I assume I need a minimum of 25 watts based on comments I've read here. I would prefer to keep it under $10,000 if possible. I will be engraving mostly hard wood, need to cut up to 1/4 inch and would like to be able to do 3D photos and other relief type work. I currently engrave with a Roland rotary and, based on that history, expect to do about 200 small jobs per month such as engraving a name plate for an office desk. I will be working from my basement in a town home development. Does either of the machines mentioned have better features for my application? Or is there another that I haven't heard of? This seems like a very helpful forum. Thanks in advance.

Pete Simmons
01-07-2006, 3:37 PM
I had this thread some time ago

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15448

BTW - I am very happy with my Epilog Mini-18 35 Watt.

J Porter
01-07-2006, 4:48 PM
I'll not get into the choice of brands (I'm very satisfied with a Pinnacle M but wish I had more than 25 watts), but I will comment about your location.
As you describe your home, you best make plans for a good outside vent which should exhaust above roof level. You should also hope your neighbors don't mind the smell of burning wood. And if you chose to do desktop nameplates in Rowmark (or some similar plastic or acrylic) the odor of burning plastic won't be very neighborly. You'll also need to carefully consider where to place a blower to get the necessary volume at a comfortable sound level.
~Joe

Lee DeRaud
01-07-2006, 4:48 PM
At that price point, the ULS Versalaser VL200 deserves a look:
25W, 12"x16", does 1/4" wood very nicely.

Pete Simmons
01-07-2006, 5:13 PM
It has been mentioned before but 3D engraving should not be a factor in your decision. I do not think you will find many users of any 3D feature.

Joe Pelonio
01-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Before buying a 25 watt machine have a demo and make sure it does a satisfactory job cutting 1/4" wood, some may not, especially hard woods like oak. As J Porter said, many of us even in industrial complexes have had problems with neighbors and smells from our lasers. Even wood, which I find pleasant not unlike a campfire, can cause neighbors to call the fire department. The smell of Rowark, acrylic and other plastics can also cause a visit from the Fire Depatment from fear of toxic fumes. If your homeowner's Association gets involved they could shut you down, or at the least require that you get a filter system that could cost nearly as much as the laser.

Ed Lang
01-08-2006, 8:05 AM
Brand is of course up to you but I will also add that power and size of table is what you need to look close at as well as support.

I went with Universal Laser Systems and bought the M300 which has a 24" X 12" table. This machine can go up to 50W laser. I bought the 50W from the start and am gald I did.

My wife and I took samples of the wood we would be using to our demo and asked to see it cut. Nothing special, just cut out a square. I felt that this little demo did more for me than any of the fancy stuff the sales reps like to show. This was closer to my shop use than the fancy stuff.

Now just like I said above, watch out for wattage and table size. This is exactly what Keith told me when I talked to him. I got the wattage but I should have gotten a larger table! I see a larger unit one day.

I did see the ULS VersaLaser and started to get one! I elected to go with the next step up.

Goodluck and make sure the reps demo to you with your material.