PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the SCM S540P?

Naaman Freifeld
03-06-2021, 12:32 PM
I have been wanting a MM20 forever and finally have a S540P on the way but just realized it was now a ACM vs the Centauro that the MM20 and S500P were. Anyone have one of the new SCMs? Hope I didn’t make a $5500 mistake. 😬

Tom Trees
03-06-2021, 12:54 PM
SCM/Centauro are the heaviest duty of Italian saws, then there are the lighter ACM machines and a few others.
At 295kg's, I don't think you will find much heavier of a saw of that size, many of the other Italian 600's weigh in at less than that.
Congrats on your purchase, and good luck with your machine :)

Tom

Naaman Freifeld
03-06-2021, 12:59 PM
SCM/Centauro are the heaviest duty of Italian saws, then there are the lighter ACM machines and a few others.
At 295kg's, I don't think you will find much heavier of a saw of that size, many of the other Italian 600's weigh in at less than that.
Congrats on your purchase, and good luck with your machine :)

Tom

Except that it is a ACM not a Centauto now. They now weight in at 250kg.

Erik Loza
03-06-2021, 1:19 PM
I have been wanting a MM20 forever and finally have a S540P on the way but just realized it was now a ACM vs the Centauro that the MM20 and S500P were. Anyone have one of the new SCMs? Hope I didn’t make a $5500 mistake. 😬

Well, the only Italian saw anyone in the US can buy currently is an ACM, so it’s not like you have any choices. If you wanted a Centauro, don’t know what to say. If you want a nice bandsaw, I’m sure you’ll be happy with an ACM.

Erik

Naaman Freifeld
03-06-2021, 1:22 PM
Well, the only Italian saw anyone in the US can buy currently is an ACM, so itÂ’s not like you have any choices. If you wanted a Centauro, donÂ’t know what to say. If you want a nice bandsaw, IÂ’m sure youÂ’ll be happy with an ACM.

Erik
Any insight why?

Erik Loza
03-06-2021, 1:31 PM
Any insight why?

Why, in regards to what?

Erik

Tom Trees
03-06-2021, 1:32 PM
The ACM machines are made in Noveralla, and the SCM is in Rimini, the SCM have a heavier build frame though.
I believe the SP series in Europe has been Minimax across the pond, but seems like the newer generation of machines were introduced
for your market, and that extra resaw height to match the wheel size is being introduced for the UK and Irish market, and wherever else.
Over here it seems like it might cause confusion with some older SCM/Centauro's with lesser resaw capacity might still be offered.
I don't know if they would be that common in the USA though.
Would this be what you are referring to regarding weight?

Tom

Naaman Freifeld
03-06-2021, 1:34 PM
Why, in regards to what?

Erik

Why SCM would have changed to ACM for the US market.

Erik Loza
03-06-2021, 1:42 PM
Why SCM would have changed to ACM for the US market.

No idea. I sold my last Minimax bandsaw in 2016.

Erik

Mick Simon
03-07-2021, 3:02 PM
I was told that the owner of Centauro passed away about a year or so ago and that his sons now run the business. SCM was running into more QC issues than when the old man was in charge. They made the decision to switch to ACM rather than take the risk unhappy customers.

Erik Loza
03-08-2021, 9:20 AM
I was told that the owner of Centauro passed away about a year or so ago and that his sons now run the business. SCM was running into more QC issues than when the old man was in charge. They made the decision to switch to ACM rather than take the risk unhappy customers.

WOW: You learn something new every day.

Erik

Peter Kelly
03-08-2021, 9:32 AM
Well, the only Italian saw anyone in the US can buy currently is an ACM, so it’s not like you have any choices.https://www.scmgroup.com/en_US/scmwood/products/joinery-machines.c884/band-saws.895/minimax-s-45n.675

:)

Erik Loza
03-08-2021, 9:52 AM
https://www.scmgroup.com/en_US/scmwood/products/joinery-machines.c884/band-saws.895/minimax-s-45n.675

:)

Aha! Yes, you are right. Except that I don't think anyone who wants a Centauro or ACM is going for an S45N. :D

Erik

John TenEyck
03-08-2021, 10:05 AM
Except that it is a ACM not a Centauto now. They now weight in at 250kg.

My 17" Grizzly weighs 70 lbs more than that and does not have solid wheels. Finite Element Analysis can often shave off substantial mass w/o losing stiffness. Maybe that's how they got the weight reduction. Same with vibration dampening, but mass is almost never a bad thing in that regard for something that's stationary.

John

Naaman Freifeld
03-10-2021, 6:10 AM
Exactly what SCM told me of why they switched.

Tom Trees
03-10-2021, 12:59 PM
Am I correct in assuming that the tables and trunnion are still from SCM?
I haven't seen any over on this side of the pond labelled ACM which has the deep slotted table and rack and pinion trunnion.
Is there difference in the tensioning system?

Hard to keep up with these things
Tom

Josh Stevens
08-29-2021, 8:21 AM
Hi,
I was wondering if you ended up getting this bandsaw?
I've been looking around online and I can't find anyone reviewing them, it would be great to hear your opinion if you bought yours!
All the best
Josh