PDA

View Full Version : SC4e

Roy Cameron
03-06-2021, 11:31 AM
Hi, am looking at selling my k3 winner and a purchasing a SC4e. Can anyone who has one tell me the footprint. McFaddens(Canadian distributor) website says 188 long which seems short. Also if anyone has pictures of the out rigger and flip stops.
Thanks

Erik Loza
03-06-2021, 1:30 PM
Hi, am looking at selling my k3 winner and a purchasing a SC4e. Can anyone who has one tell me the footprint. McFaddens(Canadian distributor) website says 188 long which seems short. Also if anyone has pictures of the out rigger and flip stops.
Thanks

I sold a fair number of SC4E’s back in my Italian days. Nice machines, I’m sure you’ll be happy with one. Not sure how it is in Canada but here in the US, we offered then in two configurations: 5.5’ sliding table and 8.5’ sliding table. There were some weird in-between sizes that we didn’t bring into the US. Yours might be one of those because that length sounds like neither. I remember the Italians being notorious for using old or outdated photos in the product literature. Your rep ought to be able to get you the layout diagram and current photos. Hope this helps,

Erik

Roy Cameron
03-06-2021, 1:59 PM
I sold a fair number of SC4E’s back in my Italian days. Nice machines, I’m sure you’ll be happy with one. Not sure how it is in Canada but here in the US, we offered then in two configurations: 5.5’ sliding table and 8.5’ sliding table. There were some weird in-between sizes that we didn’t bring into the US. Yours might be one of those because that length sounds like neither. I remember the Italians being notorious for using old or outdated photos in the product literature. Your rep ought to be able to get you the layout diagram and current photos. Hope this helps,

Erik

Hi Erik, it will have the 8.5 slider, I see you are with Felder now. I am really torn between a f700p with 2500mm slider and the sc4e. My other concern with the Minimax is the 5/8 arbor vs the 30mm arbor with pins on my Hammer, could I expect more blade deflection with the smaller arbor. I also have an ME20 in my shop for the last 6 years which has been a good machine.

Erik Loza
03-06-2021, 2:08 PM
Hi Erik, it will have the 8.5 slider, I see you are with Felder now. I am really torn between a f700p with 2500mm slider and the sc4e. My other concern with the Minimax is the 5/8 arbor vs the 30mm arbor with pins on my Hammer, could I expect more blade deflection with the smaller arbor. I also have an ME20 in my shop for the last 6 years which has been a good machine.

Roy, a Felder K500S or more accurately, a Hammer K4 Perform, would be more apples-to-apples to what you are looking at. K700P is a whole different level. As far as blade arbor, I never had any complaints about the 5/8” size but obviously, you would be able to use your existing blades if you stayed Austrian.

Erik

Roy Cameron
03-06-2021, 3:07 PM
Roy, a Felder K500S or more accurately, a Hammer K4 Perform, would be more apples-to-apples to what you are looking at. K700P is a whole different level. As far as blade arbor, I never had any complaints about the 5/8” size but obviously, you would be able to use your existing blades if you stayed Austrian.

Erik

Erik, my concern with the K700p is that the 2500mm slider will not be long enough to do a dust cut on a sheet of melamine 97 inches long. my other concerns with the k700p is the xroll table bearings, and the longevity and maintenance vs standard ball bearings in other sliders and the eazy glide tilt, same concerns. The Minimax's are also much better priced here. then a k500p or a k700p with 2500mm sliders.
Roy

Erik Loza
03-06-2021, 3:20 PM
Erik, my concern with the K700p is that the 2500mm slider will not be long enough to do a dust cut on a sheet of melamine 97 inches long. my other concerns with the k700p is the xroll table bearings, and the longevity and maintenance vs standard ball bearings in other sliders and the eazy glide tilt, same concerns. The Minimax's are also much better priced here. then a k500p or a k700p with 2500mm sliders.
Roy

Roy, if you want to rip sheets with the slider, then the K700P is indeed too small. Your options in the 1-phase category would be (in order of cost):

-Hammer K4 Perform (10’ slider)
-Felder K500S (9’ slider)
-Felder K700S (9’ slider)

As far as sliding table bearing systems go, if you are concerned about that, the K4 has a ball-bearing system like your current machine (as well as the SC4E). I’ve heard people (mostly competing sales reps, LOL) say the X-roll system used on the Felders can clog, etc. I have literally never seen or heard of this happening in the real world and we sell a bizillion X-roll sliders every year. So, in theory, I guess? In reality, we haven’t seen it. Hope this helps.

Erik

Roy Cameron
03-06-2021, 3:46 PM
Thank you Erik for your all your help, so just to confirm, the k700p with a 2500mm slider claims length of cut is 98.5 inch's wont cut a 97 inch long sheet? My shop is very tight for space that is why I am looking at Felder with a 2500mm slider or the Minimax's with 2600mm slider.

Erik Loza
03-06-2021, 6:00 PM
Thank you Erik for your all your help, so just to confirm, the k700p with a 2500mm slider claims length of cut is 98.5 inch's wont cut a 97 inch long sheet? My shop is very tight for space that is why I am looking at Felder with a 2500mm slider or the Minimax's with 2600mm slider.

Technically, “yes”, you could rip a 98” sheet on the 2500mm slider but there is no room for the crosscut fence, clamp, etc., so I always suggest 2800mm as the minimum for anyone planning to do lots of sheet goods on one of our machines. Also, I hear that your shop is tight on space but we are talking about less than 16” in overall working space between a 2500mm slider and a 2800mm slider. Not that I’m saying your concern isn’t valid but I’m pretty sure that if a 2800mm machine magically appeared in front of your shop, you’d find a way to make it fit. ;)

Erik

Roy Cameron
03-06-2021, 7:58 PM
Technically, “yes”, you could rip a 98” sheet on the 2500mm slider but there is no room for the crosscut fence, clamp, etc., so I always suggest 2800mm as the minimum for anyone planning to do lots of sheet goods on one of our machines. Also, I hear that your shop is tight on space but we are talking about less than 16” in overall working space between a 2500mm slider and a 2800mm slider. Not that I’m saying your concern isn’t valid but I’m pretty sure that if a 2800mm machine magically appeared in front of your shop, you’d find a way to make it fit. ;)

Erik

Ok, Thank you for all your time today
Roy