PDA

View Full Version : Started out as ...

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
01-07-2006, 3:01 PM
probably what was going to be the prettiest spalted bowl/hollow form/work of art seen in these parts since I don't know when ... then ... oops. I grabbed this off the top of the woodpile, just to have something to play with this morning. I knew the wood was getting pretty punky, but thought I might be okay. Slowed the Mini down to 500, screwed it to the faceplate and roughed it out. Not bad at all. Okay, lets turn a tenon and put it in the chuck. The first bad sign was when the tenon broke off after roughing the bottom and balancing the blank again. Jammed it against the chuck, brought up the tailstock and turned another tenon. So far, so good. Chucked it up and balanced it again ... cool! Sped the Mini up to 1500 and started hollowing out the bowl and getting beautiful long shavings. Got into it nicely with my scraper, getting a great transition between the sides and the bottom, and thought "let's stop here". But .. no-o-o-o-o ... had to get "just a little thinner". NOT! Got a nice BOOM, a smack on the faceshield and ... some firewood. Not a faceshield saleman, but sure do recommend them. Thanks for looking ... and have fun. On to the next project.

Chris Barton
01-07-2006, 5:01 PM
Sorry Ron, but that looks like some of my work! I have had a spate of bad luck on my past few turnings with the same kind of thing happening. I too, wear a full face shield and would never operate my big lathe, big Robland combo, or Jet EVSmini without one. Mine came from the borg with a polycarbonate shield which has saved me from injury on at least 6 occasions. Best of luck with the next one.

Andy Hoyt
01-07-2006, 5:10 PM
.... But .. no-o-o-o-o ... had to get "just a little thinner". ......
Yup. Looks like a lot of my stuff too; and for the same reason.

That mini look nice and messy,too. Just the way it should be.

John Hart
01-07-2006, 5:21 PM
That's...uh...A LOT of shrapnel Ron!!! That BOOM just makes ya wanna take a break don't it? It's a shame though...Ya just gotta get back on the horse.:)

John Miliunas
01-07-2006, 5:26 PM
Ha, ha! Ahhhhh yes. Been there, done that and I'm actually thinking about getting the T-shirt!:rolleyes: Glad you're OK, Ron! Yup, as they say in the Old Country: Feces occurs!:D :cool:

Dennis Peacock
01-07-2006, 5:36 PM
Ron,

Been there and done that more times than I care to count. Glad you're ok and now you got some nice fancey firewood. Grab ya another chunk-o-wood and start again. Sorry this one didn't turn out like you had hoped.

Jim Becker
01-07-2006, 6:26 PM
Oh, I hate when that happens...no matter who is turning! (But especially when it's me)

Curt Fuller
01-07-2006, 6:50 PM
For a long time I thought that was what you called a segmented bowl. That's too bad, it was going to be a pretty one.

Bob Noles
01-07-2006, 7:28 PM
That looks a little scarey to a newbie :eek: :eek: :eek:

I would say thanks for sharing..... BUT ugh :( :(

Chris Lee
01-09-2006, 7:40 AM
Been There and I have the dent in my garage door to prove it.:eek: Had a tenon crack when turning a little box and the little bugger shot right over my shoulder into the door. Reminded me why I wear a faceshield.

Good luck on the next one.

Chris