PDA

View Full Version : I've had enough whipping from y'all....

Bob Noles
01-07-2006, 2:27 PM
.......so I finally made it out to the shop this morning and turned my first pens. Chose rosewood for starters and turned 5 of them before I knew it. I know pens are common old hat to you old timers, but for us newbies, it is still a thrilling moment when that first pen comes together and we get to come running over here and post a picture of our efforts.

Here are a couple of pictures for your (turning) critique if you care to guide me toward improvement. Tell Andy to go easy on me or I'll have to send him one of these as punishment :eek:

Now for some bowls.... this has been too easy so far :p

Dennis Peacock
01-07-2006, 2:34 PM
There ya go Bob!!!!!!!!!!! Very Nice and GLAD to see ya spinning that lathe of yours now. Congrats and pat yourself on the back for a job well done.!!:D

Keith Nielsen
01-07-2006, 2:57 PM
GREAT JOB bob!!!!
Its alway nice to make you buttons pop when you say I did it my self.

Keep it up
Keith

Ken Fitzgerald
01-07-2006, 3:26 PM
Nice first pens Bob! Maybe that'll keep Andy busy and off my back!

Ernie Nyvall
01-07-2006, 3:29 PM
Nice work there Bob. Way to go!!

Ernie

Keith Burns
01-07-2006, 3:31 PM
We all knew you could do it Bob !!:) :) They look great to me:) :)

Bob Noles
01-07-2006, 4:05 PM

Sorry Ken..... There appears to be only one "Tick" left. You are doomed too :eek:

Andy Hoyt
01-07-2006, 4:19 PM

Not a chance in he)) , or Idaho!

Bob - Yeeeeeeeee Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! You done did it, boy. I be proud of ya.

Chris Barton
01-07-2006, 4:54 PM
Great job BOB!!! There is nothing like your first pen(s)! Trust me on this and take #1 and set it aside, do not give it away...

Corey Hallagan
01-07-2006, 5:01 PM
Hey Bob!! Nice job. Is that the first time you chucked something up and touched a chisel to it? Great looking pen, and I love the rosewood!
You know what, I am really going to look stupid if when I finally post my first pen and it looks like it wouldn't even make a good paint stir!! :eek:

Corey
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

John Hart
01-07-2006, 5:17 PM
...You know what, I am really going to look stupid if when I finally post my first pen and it looks like it wouldn't even make a good paint stir!!

Nah! No way! It's a walk in the park Corey.

Way to go Bob!!! Yep...like Chris said...Don't give it away! :) :)

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2006, 5:20 PM
Bob great job my friend. Looks beautiful. That one you want to keep. My first one will never go anywhere.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-07-2006, 5:25 PM
My eyes aren't what they used to be, but the second picture looks like a Perfect fit. I couldn't say that with my second one. Good Job.

Bruce

BTW.................Think again, KEN! We're STILL gunning for you.

Keith Christopher
01-07-2006, 5:31 PM
I LOVE turnining PENS ! Nice job ! I never get tired of it !

John Miliunas
01-07-2006, 5:32 PM
Awright Bob!!!! Way to go! We knew you had it in 'ya!:D Beautiful job and, as the others say, keep that first puppy! Then, when you do your first, what you consider to be "Super", take some poly to it before assembly, stick it in your shirt pocket and use it...Daily!!! :) Great reminder of the fun you have doing it and a great selling tool, to boot!:D

Ken, can't recall exactly where I've heard this before, but: Tic, toc, tic, toc, tic, toc......:D :D :cool:

Bob Noles
01-07-2006, 7:16 PM
Thanks for all the kind words y'all. It was kind of a big event for me today to finally turn something worthwhile. Oh, I've been practicing on scrap and getting used to the lathe and tools and the overall feel for how it all plays together and learning to sharpen, just sort of preparing for the real thing a little. From all your comments, I guess the practice must have paid off.

Really wanted to post the pictures to prove that I did not get a lathe to sit in the shop and look pretty. I really will be turning and learning.

I do want to take a minute and thank each and every one of you that have brought me this far in turning. You have advised, coaxed, poked, supported, guided, recommended, and even slaped me when I needed it. I appreciate what everyone at SMC has done for me and had it not been for y'all, these pens and these pictures would not have existed.

Now..... on to some bigger round things :eek:

John Hart
01-07-2006, 8:04 PM
I appreciate what everyone at SMC has done for me and had it not been for y'all, these pens and these pictures would not have existed....

Me too Bob. SMC did it to me too! :D Congratulations again! You done it right.

Michael Stafford
01-07-2006, 8:12 PM
I still find pens fun to turn. Your first pens are far better than my first ones. Glad you are enjoying yourself. That is what it is all about!:D

Dick Parr
01-07-2006, 8:16 PM
Very nice Bob, the pen looks great.

Travis Stinson
01-07-2006, 8:17 PM
Way to go Bob!:D
It's all downhill from here.......:eek: ;)

Jim Ketron
01-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Yep off to a nice start!
Keep on turning!