PDA

View Full Version : Possibly relocating to New Orleans area, need info

Chris Gregory
01-07-2006, 1:06 PM
Afternoon all,

I am looking into relocating to the New Orleans area and I will be looking to rent ideally a commercial space with accomodations, a house with a 2 car garage, or two separate spaces in order of preference. Anybody out there who could point me in the right direction?

Cheers,
Chris

Dennis Peacock
01-07-2006, 2:40 PM
Above or below the water line? :p :rolleyes: :D

Cecil Arnold
01-07-2006, 5:35 PM
I'm glad you said it Dennis, 'cause if a Texas had it might bring on a war. Hope you can learn to suck the heads (on crawfish) and get off to red beans and dirty rice Chris, and if you don't like spicy food you may have to bring your own care package. Seriously, I think you will find the prices and wages are lower than NJ, and you may be able to find a deal as a bunch of people seem to have found work/homes away from the Big Easy. If you're looking at real estate on line look in the Meterey (I know that's not spelled right) area. I think that was high and dry during the storm.

Chris Gregory
01-07-2006, 7:49 PM
I'm glad you said it Dennis, 'cause if a Texas had it might bring on a war. Hope you can learn to suck the heads (on crawfish) and get off to red beans and dirty rice Chris, and if you don't like spicy food you may have to bring your own care package. Seriously, I think you will find the prices and wages are lower than NJ, and you may be able to find a deal as a bunch of people seem to have found work/homes away from the Big Easy. If you're looking at real estate on line look in the Meterey (I know that's not spelled right) area. I think that was high and dry during the storm.

Thanks Cecil I love Cajun food, what I have found out already is that prices for rentals are unrealistic at the moment for obvious reasons-the landlords are cashing in on the situation. I'm not in a mad hurry I'm thinking of heading down there sometime in February for a look around. Point well taken on looking for high ground.

John Shuk
01-08-2006, 8:27 PM
Chris,
I'm down here working. Metarie is in pretty decent shape and I'm just finishing up work in Kenner which did quite well with no levee breaks and little flooding. Mostly wind damage. The neighborhood I'm working is Woodlake. There are some houses here for sale generally about $400k for good size homes and if they back up to the levee they are usually $700 plus. Backing up to the levee is pretty desirable though. I have to say that in the past I've always thought Jersey drivers were the worst. They have you guys beat big time down here! I think using a turn signal is against the law here! lol. I have to say that the weather this time of year down is a big improvement over my home in NY. Good Luck.
John

Cecil Arnold
01-09-2006, 12:08 AM
John & Chris, re: turn signals--you never let the enemy know your intentions, and yes, bubba does own the road. One other piece of advice; there is a roomer that people of the northern persuasion honk their horns a lot in traffic. DON"T Do THIS, the gun rack in the back of the pick up is functional, bubba will shoot you.

Carl Eyman
01-09-2006, 10:05 AM
A recent story in the Times-Picayune compared real estate prices pre and post Katrina in various areas of town. As expected flood prone areas dropped in value while non-flood area increased. One item of interest to me was that houses which are raised carry a much lower flood insurance premium than those that are not - even though they may be raised to a point that is not above the flood line. Raised houses apparently have water drain out of them quickly so damage is limited. Hope you do make the move. If there is anything I can research for you, don't be afraid to ask.

Chris Gregory
01-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks to all of you guys for your answers though I am surprised that a New Yorker would even dare to say anything about Jersey drivers :D, so what do I do change my name to Bubba and get a gun rack?;)

Carl I will definitely be contacting you at the moment I am looking at renting thanks for the offer.

Rob Bourgeois
01-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Thanks to all of you guys for your answers though I am surprised that a New Yorker would even dare to say anything about Jersey drivers :D, so what do I do change my name to Bubba and get a gun rack?;)

Cecil I will definitely be contacting you at the moment I am looking at renting.

There arent many Cajuns or Coonasses( look it up..not bad a word) named Bubba. Thats more of those rednecks living North of I-10. You might find a few "T-buds" or "T-Boys".

You might check a bit further out from the city. The parishes of St Charles, and St John did not get much flooding or very heavy wind damage. Carl's area down in Terrebonne protects them form direct Gulf impacts.

My parents live in St John and the place is packed with people moving down to work to rebuild. Good luck.

/Proud Coonass :)

tod evans
01-09-2006, 11:24 AM
we have bubba here in the ozarks!

Mike Leone
01-09-2006, 12:06 PM
besides the gun rack, leave the tail gate down, and the split rear window open so the emties don't collect in the back of your truck. Get your self a couple of coon dogs.

Chris Gregory
01-09-2006, 12:08 PM
besides the gun rack, leave the tail gate down, and the split rear window open so the emties don't collect in the back of your truck. Get your self a couple of coon dogs.

sounds like a slice of heaven:)

Mike Leone
01-09-2006, 12:16 PM
I live in BR for 3 years back in the early 90's hericane Andrew was the first herican I experienced. Back then life was much more laid back then it is now after Katrina. I met my wife down there in 92. I remember my time there with fond memories. Crawfish arn't much different then lobster just a little smaller and a little more work. There are some great local brews, Abita beer just across the Causway, some in NO.
Sportsmans paradise.
You will enjoy it.

John Shuk
01-10-2006, 6:34 PM
By the way. If you get a chance to do some fishing down here do it! 47 keepers between 4 guys in a half day on the bayou! Speckled trout, (weakfish where I come from) Sheepshead, and Drum. Alas no Redfish but I trust they do exist.