PDA

View Full Version : Source for Unfinished Butcher Block?

Steve H Graham
03-02-2021, 1:41 PM
I have been trying to figure out what kind of top to put on my new kitchen cart. I thought I might use thick plywood with some kind of heavy resin on it, but now I'm thinking maybe I'll just get a slab of 1-1/2" unfinished maple butcher block. I can use plywood for the lower shelves.

Can anyone recommend a good source? I found a place that will sell me 32" by 18" for $165, shipped. That's long-grain with hard edges I would relieve with my own tools.

Shawn Siegrist
03-02-2021, 1:46 PM
Lowe’s, Home Depot, and Lumber Liquidators all carry butcher block countertops.

Steve H Graham
03-02-2021, 1:48 PM
Grizzly will sell me a somewhat bigger piece for $150, shipped, but it would be covered with something called Durakryl, which I would have to remove, I guess. Not sure how I would do that. I would also have to run it through the table saw to cut it to size.

Steve H Graham
03-02-2021, 1:53 PM
Lowe's and Home Depot start at about $225. Lumber Liquidators starts at around $250.

Eugene Dixon
03-02-2021, 4:27 PM
Seems to be that always on Craigslist someone is selling some within a 100 miles of here. YMMV (no, literally).

Jim Becker
03-02-2021, 5:16 PM
Grizzly will sell me a somewhat bigger piece for $150, shipped, but it would be covered with something called Durakryl, which I would have to remove, I guess. Not sure how I would do that. I would also have to run it through the table saw to cut it to size.

Do you intend to actually cut directly on the surface? If not, the coating is an advantage. I never cut directly on the top of our island...I use an auxiliary board for that. That said, if the most cost effective source for what you need in the size you need has a coating on it that you don't want, paying a few bucks for someone to run it through their big drum sander or wide belt will get you to bare wood really quickly.

Steve H Graham
03-02-2021, 6:40 PM
People who do metalwork never go to Home Depot or Lowe's because they have almost no selection, and they charge about 4 times as much as metal dealers. I thought maybe woodworkers had a similar secret for getting butcher block cheap. It appears that this is not the case.

I guess $165 is not a bad price.

Dave Sabo
03-02-2021, 7:04 PM
People who do metalwork never go to Home Depot or Lowe's because they have almost no selection, and they charge about 4 times as much as metal dealers. I thought maybe woodworkers had a similar secret for getting butcher block cheap. It appears that this is not the case.

I read this with some amusement.

I was gonna steer you towards Boos, or J. Aaron but then between the lines I realized you don't really want good.

Just because the BORG isn't a good ( read cheap) source for metalworkers , it doesn't mean it's not for other materials. Might not be for block tops either - I'm not shopping for one. But, like amazon; the depot is also a marketplace for lots of things they don't stock. So I had a quick gander at what they're peddling. Seems you can get a 2' x 4' top delivered to a store for under $200 in Ash, Beech, Alder, Birch, Poplar, Oak, and Acacia :confused: - what ever that is. Most are around the $150 mark. For a few bucks more you can get one in maple. So, I'd say $165 is not bad.

How much do you think that much lumber would cost you today if you went to buy some ? Have you seen hardwood prices these days ? I just got a load of walnut for a top and had to wait almost two months for stock to arrive and the price was 30% more than last quarter.

Wes Grass
03-02-2021, 7:37 PM
HD here shows a 6 foot x 25" unfinished for 250. Use the rest in the shop.

I have one in Birch that looks pretty decent for the price. Was going to make a 'desk' in a closet out of it.

As for price, I got 2-1/4" tops from Grizzly for my machine shop cabinets. The extra 1/2" nearly doubled the price. They sure are solid though.

Tom M King
03-02-2021, 8:01 PM
Do a google search for "bally butcherblock". It's sold many places, and you can get about any size you want. I've had a 2' x 8' piece sitting on edge, in a storage building here, since the early 1980's, and it's still flat, and straight.

Jim Becker
03-02-2021, 8:06 PM

If you price out the maple and factor in your time to mill it and construct the top...$165 can look darn good!

Mel Fulks
03-02-2021, 8:20 PM
The Bally is real good. Don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those open up.

Bill Carey
03-02-2021, 8:41 PM
Seems to be that always on Craigslist someone is selling some within a 100 miles of here. YMMV (no, literally).

When I bought the butcher block top for the island I made, I found one on CL, called and asked him where is was at, he said Morocco IN. I said no kiddin, what street. He told me and I looked out the back window and asked him if he was standing in his driveway. He was a bit taken aback, but said yes. Told him I would be right there and I picked it up with my golf cart.

Steve H Graham
03-03-2021, 12:13 AM
Not sure how this was supposed to be helpful.

Home Depot is a BAD, not just expensive, place to buy metal. Most people know that. Go in and ask for 6" aluminum channel or 3" round 304 bar, and all you will get will be confused looks from employees who don't know cold-rolled from particle board.

The prices of ash and other woods aren't relevant when the subject is maple.

I asked an intelligent question and got the information I needed. The fact that it amused you is remarkable, and the fact that you felt you should take the time to search irrelevant prices in order to scold me, moreso.

I read this with some amusement.

I was gonna steer you towards Boos, or J. Aaron but then between the lines I realized you don't really want good.

Just because the BORG isn't a good ( read cheap) source for metalworkers , it doesn't mean it's not for other materials. Might not be for block tops either - I'm not shopping for one. But, like amazon; the depot is also a marketplace for lots of things they don't stock. So I had a quick gander at what they're peddling. Seems you can get a 2' x 4' top delivered to a store for under $200 in Ash, Beech, Alder, Birch, Poplar, Oak, and Acacia :confused: - what ever that is. Most are around the $150 mark. For a few bucks more you can get one in maple. So, I'd say $165 is not bad.

How much do you think that much lumber would cost you today if you went to buy some ? Have you seen hardwood prices these days ? I just got a load of walnut for a top and had to wait almost two months for stock to arrive and the price was 30% more than last quarter.

Dave Sabo
03-03-2021, 8:42 AM
It was supposed to be helpful or at least informative as a price comparison or alternate source , since you seemed unable to locate it yourself. Probably because of your metal bias. I wasn’t trying to argue HD is good for metal, only point out that for wood tops they have a large selection, and the pricing is not out of line.

Will any of those products meet your needs ? Don’t know. They certainly have them in your size and price requirements, though the maple version is a bit higher priced than your find. It is bigger though. Maybe you like another species better? After all , you were going to DIY a top from plywood originally. So let’s not get lost in quality or durability discussion.

You already knew 165 was a good price for that top before you asked here in a veiled manner in anyone knew of a cheaper place. This isn’t a price buster shopping site. You asked for a “good” resource an then rebuked Steve for offering one because it wasn’t elCeapo central. Should have asked “can anyone recommend a cheaper source “ if that’s what you were really after.

Peter Kelly
03-03-2021, 9:45 AM
Grizzly will sell me a somewhat bigger piece for $150, shipped, but it would be covered with something called Durakryl, which I would have to remove, I guess. Not sure how I would do that. I would also have to run it through the table saw to cut it to size.I've bought these in the past for a kitchen island at my parent's place, the top has held up after 8 years. That Durakryl finish the tops come with is pretty ugly but it's easy enough to fix with an RO sander, some 180 grit paper and a bit of tung oil.

Jamie Buxton
03-03-2021, 10:42 AM
Check out Ikea. They sell wood countertops for a very competitive price.

Peter Kelly
03-03-2021, 11:35 AM
Check out Ikea. They sell wood countertops for a very competitive price.Just be aware that Ikea wood tops are all veneered with a flakeboard core. Difficult to cover up if any sides of them need to be trimmed down.

Wes Grass
03-03-2021, 11:48 AM
Just be aware that Ikea wood tops are all veneered with a flakeboard core. Difficult to cover up if any sides of them need to be trimmed down.

Not the one I got. Don't remember exactly, but less than 6 years ago ... my girlfriend and I went and got it. I remember having to drive my Prius over one of the islands in their nightmare parking lot to find my way out ;-) I think she laughed all the way to the freeway.

I ripped it in half for bookshelves in the living room, and then ran it though the planer in an attempt to get the linseed oil out of it. I *HATE* linseed oil, the smell, the feel, everything. Took about a 16th off each face, and that was probably 90% effective. It eventually became unnoticeable.

Peter Kelly
03-03-2021, 12:04 PM
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/thick-veneer-countertops-46457/

Mike Heidrick
03-03-2021, 12:16 PM
I think i would still make my own at the current cost. I don't trust some of those store tops. At least I could get the quality I know it should be.

Wish you were closer and I would help you out. Shipping from here to FL would not make it worth it at $165.

roger wiegand
03-03-2021, 4:17 PM
32 x 18 x 1-1/2 is roughly 9 bf of lumber (plus some for waste). 8/4 hard maple is $5.40/bf at my local retailer. So ~$60 for wood, a buck's worth of glue and an hour with a plane and you've got what you need. That's probably about as cheap as it gets. You could do red oak for half that price.

Dave Sabo
03-03-2021, 4:38 PM
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/thick-veneer-countertops-46457/

That's a good source as long as you don't want to re-size them. Since they are all veneered tops, cutting them down exposes the particle board core. Which, is not the end of the world as long as the cut portion is against a wall or cabinet.

Not so great for an island top.

8/4 hard maple is $5.40/bf at my local retailer.

That's a really good price. Last year my go to supplier was just over 7 bucks for FAS 8/4 maple. I'm guessing it's at least $8 now. Maybe more.

Peter Kelly
03-03-2021, 5:42 PM
That's a really good price. Last year my go to supplier was just over 7 bucks for FAS 8/4 maple. I'm guessing it's at least $8 now. Maybe more.$7-$8/bf for FAS hard maple is insane. Still only $5.50 / $5.75 for select grade 8/4 at my local place in Upstate NY. https://ghentwoodproducts.com/price-list-rough-cut-boards-kiln-dried/

I wasn’t necessarily advocating for anyone using an Ikea top, just to be mindful of what you’re actually getting at that place. They might be ok for secondary surfaces in the shop that aren’t getting a ton of abuse though.

roger wiegand
03-03-2021, 5:49 PM
That's a really good price. Last year my go to supplier was just over 7 bucks for FAS 8/4 maple. I'm guessing it's at least $8 now. Maybe more.

Highland Hardwoods (https://www.highlandhardwoods.com/lumber/retail/), Brentwood, NH. Great dealer, huge stock. They will also sell butcher block, but don't quote prices on the web site. That's the retail pricing, if you buy a couple hundred bf it gets even cheaper. They are primarily a wholesaler, but have a huge building for retail sales as well where you are free to pick through the piles--it's pretty much not necessary as it's all quite good. The "shorts" area is a fantastic resource for turners.

Dave Sabo
03-04-2021, 9:49 AM
$7-$8/bf for FAS hard maple is insane. Still only $5.50 / $5.75 for select grade 8/4 at my local place in Upstate NY.

Oh, I agree. But that's the goin rate in ATL.

fred woltersdorf
03-04-2021, 12:33 PM
Just be aware that Ikea wood tops are all veneered with a flakeboard core. Difficult to cover up if any sides of them need to be trimmed down.

I guess things have changed at Ikea since I bought one for the top of my workbench and another for the countertop of a rental apt, both were solid wood because when I cut the countertop for the sink it was all wood.

Alan Lightstone
03-04-2021, 3:44 PM
I got my workbench top from Baird Brothers. Very high quality, but unclear what the size you want would cost. Mine was far larger than that, and I thought the price, quality and service were outstanding. It was funny seeing a This Old House episode from there a few days after I ordered it.

Bill Dufour
03-05-2021, 1:02 AM
Acacia :confused: - what ever that is.
Acacia is in the pea family same as koa wood. It is very dense and does not float in water. The street trees wood I have seen looks like walnut or very dark mohagony. I do not know what commercial wood comes from. I assume Africa.
The tree of tenere was acacia. One of the few trees marked on maps that are not a map of a park.
Bil lD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_T%C3%A9n%C3%A9r%C3%A9