PDA

View Full Version : Angle Grinder Help

Jim Tobias
01-07-2006, 11:12 AM
I've been watching too much of David Mark's lately and have decided to purchase an angle grinder to help shape chair seats and other thick materials. I noticed that he used what appeared to be a Dewalt. Any advice on manufacturer, size, type, etc would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Phil Ordway
01-07-2006, 11:17 AM
I have the inexpensive all plastic Dewalt which works fine for the limited use I have for it. My welder friends who use these tools constantly recommend Bosch.

Howard Barlow
I have DeWalts, big and little. Let me say this, the 7" ( I think) is for Paul Bunyun. It weighs a ton. The smaller one is available in two different amp ratings. I have the bigger amps, but forget what they are. I use it quite a bit. You can get wheels in a variety of styles at welding shops, some you will not see at ww'ing places.

Jim Becker
Jim, I bought a refurb 4" DeWalt a couple years ago and it's worked fine. I haven't purchased a "carving" head for it, but if I ever get back to my chair project, I just may. Darn thing is very noisy, however...hearing protection is a must. It's about as nasty as my biscuit joiner.

tod evans
01-07-2006, 11:23 AM
bosch for the 4" milwaukee for 7"

Howard Norman
01-07-2006, 12:26 PM
I have the 7" DeWalt and use it mainly for rough work since it is heavy, great for that. I also have a 4" Hitachi with a carving head that is great for smaller work. For work as you are talking about I would go for one of the 4" models because they are lighter and easier to move around.

Howard

Pete Lamberty
01-07-2006, 4:38 PM
I have a small DeWalt. I think it cost just under $50. at Home Depot. I use it to shape chair seats. I use the 4.5 inch rubber backpad with the sandpaper disks. It removes wood very fast. I have to use it outside because of all the sawdust that it kicks up. I think that it works very well for my purposes.

Mark Rios
01-07-2006, 4:52 PM
I have the Makita 4 1/2" angle grionder and, while it's very loud also, it sure gets it on in the grinding department. I really like it but I don't do any wood shaping with it. Just normal grinding stuff.:D I think I got it for under $50 as well with a bonus diamond blade for concrete cutting.

Jim Tobias
01-07-2006, 7:59 PM
Thanks for the quick feedback on the angle grinder. I posted the question, changed clothes, drank a cup of coffee and came back to find a wealth of info and experience with angle grinders. I went out and bought the 4.5 " Dewalt (10amp model). Should be plenty for what I need. Now, if I can just get enough shop time to test it out!

Jim