PDA

View Full Version : Need help with laser alignment

Rebecca Leedy
01-07-2006, 10:26 AM
We are in the middle of the daunting task of aligning our Epilog 36ext and we are having problems. We get the beam adjusted so that it hits the target dead on,but then when we fire,we have really inconsistent results. (I am having diffuculty upload the images I have to show you) Both the rastering and the vectoring are inconsistent as far as power goes. And it's on all different locations on the table. We have tried calling tech support but they are of limited help. We really need to get this up and running because we have jobs due Monday morning. If anyone has any clue how to fix this or where to find the answer (other than Epilog's website, tech support or the manual.) I would be so very appreciative.
Thanks
Becky

Mark Sipes
01-07-2006, 11:30 AM
I am confused. You said:

We get the beam adjusted so that it hits the target dead on,but then when we fire,we have really inconsistent results.

Are you aligning the mirrors from the laser it self or is the laser firing at different places on the image to give you a double image. ??

Mark

Rebecca Leedy
01-07-2006, 11:43 AM
We are adjusting the mirrors at the rear of the machine on the top and bottom. When we look at it from the side, we are seeing 2 red dots.It was explained to us by tech support that we would have to first get the "laser dot"on the bullseye first and then concentrate on the other dot. The other dot is the pointer dot and not hugely critical just yet.

Mark Sipes
01-07-2006, 12:06 PM
I have a Trotec but the alignment should be the same. . The mirrors control where the "Laser" beam is reflected to hit the lens on your plate surface. The mirrors are the only way to adjust the beam. I have adjusting screws just after the beam leaves the tube..... the first mirror... that is the olny place I can adust from. Once that is set... don't touch.

Fire the laser and see where it hits. then.......

The Red Dot Pointer should have it's own alignment screws. move the pointer to align with the burn mark.

Does this make sense or am I in the wrorg ballpark?

Mark

Ken Frisby
01-07-2006, 12:23 PM
On the 24TT I have 3 mirrors to adjust, the upper, lower and steering miror on the X axis bar. If I just adjust the upper and lower the power is all over the place when lasering. The red dot pointer is alignd last.

Rebecca Leedy
01-07-2006, 12:45 PM
You've left me a little confused Ken. When you adjust the top and bottom and the power is all over the place, what do you do to solve the problem? Should I only be adjusting one mirror?

Hale Reider
01-07-2006, 8:17 PM
I have a 24X36 Xenetech. I have to start at the bottom (or first mirror), putting a piece of masking tape over each carrier and making sure each one is centered, before moving on to the next one.

I visited Epilog earlier this year and they said thier 24X36 machine had to be leveled to run well. I presume so that you can eliminate any flex you may get from an uneven floor. I don't have levelers on my bigger machine, but I have some problems with hot and cold spots on my machine. I try not to move it anymore than I can help.

Good luck. Hale

Ken Frisby
01-07-2006, 8:26 PM
Rebecca,

On the 24TT I have 3 mirrors to adjust, if I just adjust the top and bottom I have problems, but the 3rd mirror (steering mirror) is the one that gives me the evenly distributed power over the entire work surface. I know you have a different Epilog, but I find it hard to beleive it doesn't have a steering mirror.

Joe Pelonio
01-07-2006, 9:53 PM
Rebecca,

I too have a 24tt and I know it's probably different but I have been through this process recently after replacing the tube. The only adjustments I made were to the screws adjusting the mirrors in the
far left at home position. I hope you have the written instructions
that epilog provides along with the aligment tool. I suggest you start over and follow it slowly 1 step at a time. It took me 2 hours but eventually got it right. Make sure the target is pushed in tightly and flat. What I did that helped was to place a felt pen dot in the center of the target on the masking tape so you can see the center better. Then make sure you are in the center before moving on to the next position.

Rebecca Leedy
01-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Once again, my Sawmill friends have saved my ample rear end. We finally mananged to align our laser. My dh was the one primarily working for 12+ hours (my only help was posting here)
Reluctantly, I decided to help so we started at square one. The one step that we had a difference of opinion from the way he had originally been doing it was the shape of the dot. I believed it looked oblong and he thought it was round. Previously he had not made the adjustments to the shape of the dot. We went through those extra steps (removing the periscope adjusting the lower mirror etc.) and that is the step that seemed to do the trick. We still have more testing to do but it looks like we have aligned our laser.
Thank you all so much for your help.I truly appreciate it.Couldn't have done it without you!!
Becky

James Stokes
01-10-2006, 8:32 AM
When I align my lens, I take white poster paper and cut some 3/4 inch circles. These will drop right over the lens. I find this much easier than using tape.

Rebecca Leedy
01-10-2006, 11:29 AM
That reminds me, the other thing we did to help was manufacture "targets" from alder rather than using that plastic one that came with the laser. That helped too.