PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Needs HELP!!

Jesse Merino
01-07-2006, 5:50 AM
Ok, Ladies and Gentlemen Start Your Engines!!!
Ooops, wrong place for that http://boards.diynetwork.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<!--graemlin::)--> LOL!

Ok, here is what I am currently going to get into...

I bought a lathe from a truck sale, ooohhh, about 3 years ago, I think...
Today, or tomorrow, I am going to attempt (key word), to do something with this thing<!--graemlin::)-->

I bought a face shield (was told to have one, because of "blow outs"? and chips flying...Even got a dust mask)...
And my buddy is going to give me a few logs, (anywhere from 12-18 inches, probably about 4-6 inches in width), so, today, or tomorrow, I shall "attempt" to do something with this monster...

Now, I am thinking this thing is going to self destruct the wood, and "blow out" all over me, piercing body parts that I have grown to know and love so much, (got all the extra pieces I need with my pacemakers and all that, none extra needed at this time...besides, odd things sticking out of my body will make it a wee bit of a pain to sleep at night, I would venture)...

What does anyone suggest for a first time wood turner (newbie), who is just going to practise a whole lot on this wood, to be wary of?

Any points, hints, stories, hinderances, danger points, and all the other things I can come up with to express this thing about doing it right and not messing it up so that Wife doesnt have to have 911 on hold???

(OOOH, this is a cheap lowes face shield, about 13 bucks {they advertise its the best, but, I dont believe it, since I'm sure there is always better}, so, I dont know if it will do any good if the chips start flying)...

Like, how thin can I make this wood, before it breaks on me and sends it everywhere? 1", 1/2"?? If I feel comfortable, I may even try and "form something", but, thats stretching it for now, I realize..

Oh, this wood is going to be only cut for a few months, so it will be "wet" as they call it, not seasoned all the way, but I dont know how long wood has to be seasoned for turnings??

If I really blow this thing, I may just start back on the stuff I know... and worry about fingers detachting from my body instead of new parts being added with out benefiets of a Surgeon, or maybe I will need a Surgeon, when the new parts are, ahem, abruptly installed??

If ya really want to know the truth, this thing scares me to death, but, I can over come the fear, and try something new, but, I just want to be cautious and have all the advantages go my wayhttp://boards.diynetwork.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<!--graemlin::)--> <!--graemlin::)--><!--graemlin::)-->....

I dont know what type of wood I will be using yet, havent got it from my bud til later today, but it wont be pine, some hardwood, maybe poplar...or oak...

Ok, I have expressed my fears and shortcomings, what do I need to do for my new interest??

Oh, forget about me watching a video...bit late for that, once I have wood in hand...http://boards.diynetwork.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif<!--graemlin::)-->..

Oh, I did own a shopsmith once and tried to turn a piece of ash, it splintered all over me and sold the thing, but, I dont give up easily, now I am on a return mission...Jesse

John Hart
01-07-2006, 6:39 AM
Sounds like you're jumping in head first Jesse!!:eek: If I may make one suggestion...And this is just so you don't die as you get sucked into the vortex....Cut yourself a 2X2X10 of something soft like poplar and put it between centers. Use your gouge and get a feel for the bumpy ride that will ultimately get more intense with the larger pieces. Just turn that stick into a 10 inch cylinder and sand it and finish it....no matter how dissatisfied you might be with it. In that little introduction, you should get a feel for the power of the machine, how the tools feel against the wood, and a sense of before and after. Then move up to the bigger stuff. If you are going to enjoy this ride, it's much more comfortable not to have things stuck in you! :D Good Luck!:) :)

Bob Noles
01-07-2006, 7:07 AM
First off Jesse.... Welcome to SMC and the crazy world of turning addicts. Sounds like you have a plan and that in itself is more than I can say for my approach :eek:

I think John Hart has given you some good advice. Take some time to get the feel of the tools and the lathe. I am assuming you have already taken the steps to start out with some sharp tools. A word of caution would be to wear safety goggles under the face shield. The shield itself will not give full protection and a dust mask would be a wise idea as well.

I am a newbie myself and have high hopes of turning some "first" pens today.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things progress.

Blake McCully
01-07-2006, 8:28 AM
Hey John,
Why don't you stop down and give Jesse a hand:D I mean really get him hooked.

Jim Dunn
01-07-2006, 8:46 AM
Welcome to the Creek Jesse. Good luck with your turnings. Let us know when your fever goes down:p

I knew the spinbotchala disease was spread by the tools and not a visit to this forum.;) But if not for this fourm I wouldn't have touched those tools:(:eek::eek:

Jim

Jesse Merino
01-07-2006, 9:10 AM
Thanks guys for the quick reply... I'm just waiting for the family to get up, Saturday, everyone sleeps in, and then I shall have my wood by hmmm noon or so:)

I'll tell the wife, to keep 911 on hold, daughter will have cell phone handy:)

I have some pine, but everyone tells me that its too soft to "turn", so I dont know...?

I think this lathe only has one speed, so its all or nothing... and the tools I bought with it, had some "white stuff" on it, like pieces of styrofoam on the things... nothing like that in the boxes, I was wondering if it was water damage or something like that? No rust, but those white flecks sort of irritated me, mold? Who knows, I cleaned them off and put them away until I was ready to use this varmit...Jesse

Jeremiah Jordan
01-07-2006, 9:13 AM
Welcome Jesse to the forum. I have seen that you already have been bitten by the turning bug. Some of these syptoms might be:

Looking into the woods and seeing all bowls

Looking at a bowl blank and thinking to yourself, "wow, look at all of them pen blanks"

Looking and feeling sad for each peice of wood you throw in your furnance to heat your house

Going on a trip just to collect wood

Having Woodcraft your "home away from home"

Have fun here.

Gordon Achterhof
01-07-2006, 9:15 AM
Welcome Jesse, from one newbie to another. I think that you will find that this is one of the best forums going. Every now and then some of the old heads will let a sliver of information excape and you can capture it.

Have fun and be safe.

Cheers
Gordon

Chris Barton
01-07-2006, 9:25 AM
Welcome! John has given you a great way to start and Bob hints at another. Unfortunately for me, my first real lathe project was to turn 4 legs for a reproduction fedral style piece complete with beaded segments, pommels, coves, reeding... not to mention that I chose paduk as my wood:eek: . But, it can out OK. On the otherhand, it was very frustrating because I didn't really know what I was doing (still don't) and was working with a wood that is not known for its ability not to splinter. I would suggest another possibility would be to turn a few pens first. They are simple, inexpensive, provide a great reinforcement of the joy of turning, make great gifts, and are generally the simplest axial turning in the book. But, if you can beg or taunt JH to come down, let me know, I could use some mentoring too!

Bernie Weishapl
01-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Jesse first off welcome. Lots of good people and lots of knowledge here. I am also new to turning. I started out taking a piece of 1" square stock about 8 to 10 inches long and cutting it into a dowel. I then sanded and put some friction finish on it. I did several of these to get used to the lathe and used every tool just to see how each reacted and what they would do. I then cut a few pens and finished those. I have a couple of small bowl blanks 5" X 5" X 2 1/2" that I will try first before I get into the big stuff. One thing I have found is make sure you have sharp tools. I found that is a big key for me anyway. You have got some good advice. Start slow, learn and enjoy.

Andy Hoyt
01-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Jessie - Welcome!

Bernie nailed it. Chuck something/anything up and make it round. Or as close to round as your nerves will allow. Steady hands, sharp tools, and patience.

Relate it to jumping into a swimming hole for the first time ever. You saw others do it and emerge still breathing. Everyone jumps a bit differently, but the end result is the same.

Cecil Arnold
01-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Jessie, welcome to the creek and the dark side. In addition to the good information above, you might want to consider spending another $30. or so for Bill Gumbine's DVD/Video, then, before too long your work will start to look like Bill's (not really but it will improve a great deal).

Jim Ketron
01-07-2006, 12:22 PM
OK here is a few tips I passed on to my class, I had 2 newbies that had never turned on a lathe.

1 Lathes are very dangerous if not used properly
2 Always wear a face shield or safety glasses or both.
3 Put long hair under a cap or tie it back.
4 Before turning the lathe always rotate your blank one full turn or more to make sure it will clear the lathe bed, tool rest ect.
5 Always stop the lathe before adjusting the tool rest.
6 Keep your fingers away from rotating stock (You will need them later)
7 Keep the tool rest close to the turning stock when cutting; this will vary with different tools.
8 When using a scroll chuck check to see if the jaws are tight before turning on the lathe.
9 When turning green wood tighten the chuck jaws often, the wood shrinks as it loses moisture
10 Always remove the tool rest before sanding or finishing a piece.

Jim Becker
01-07-2006, 1:00 PM
Number 11 to add to Jim's list is...

11. Always work with sharp tools. Dull tools are dangerous and don't make for a pleasant turning experience, either... ;)

Jesse Merino
01-07-2006, 1:19 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I am now leaving to go get that wood, my bud has promised me and later I shall return... ...Hmmm does the phrase with my sword, or upon my shield mean anything? LOL... Oh well, lets hope for the best...

I appreciate all the good responses and replies, I will do what you say, and for my first attempt, just make it round...(though, its going to be round already, so I will basically be taking off the bark?? hmmm

I did get to see a portion of a woodworking show on DIY, inbetween a program my wife was watching on cable...but, making a bowl is beyond me, because I dont have a chuck... But, I think I have a face plate, as I recall for that thing...(didnt know what it was for, until I went to another site to see what a "real lathe" (cast iron, and not cheap metal), looks like and the parts an name for each of them... Interesting...

Also, read some other posts on this thing, and others so, lemme get back to you either later on today, or tomorrow, and see if I made it through the first trial....Turning the thing on...LOL... :eek:

Keep making sawdust...Jesse