PDA

View Full Version : Veritas pocket layout square, it's so tiny!

Andrew Pitonyak
02-25-2021, 7:34 PM
So I bought one, it is less than $10

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/marking-and-measuring/squares/110954-veritas-1-1-2-inch-pocket-layout-square?item=05N5410

It seems to tiny, and I know exactly how I will use it!

Yes that is next to two pens. They are larger than most pens, but, I did not get the sense for size even though Lee Valley has a pencil in their photo.

Curt Putnam
02-25-2021, 8:03 PM
It is so handy that I just bought my 2nd one.

Frederick Skelly
02-25-2021, 8:04 PM
Yeah, I thought the same thing when I bought mine Andrew. Even though they state the dimensions and show a picture, you really just cant visualize it. Nice little tool though.

Rob Luter
02-27-2021, 7:05 AM
Sort of like the Woodpeckers DelVe Square with a few less features and much less expensive.

Jon Barnett
02-27-2021, 8:09 AM
I keep mine in my woodworking apron pocket. It makes a good partner to the LV precision square which also lives there.

Frederick Skelly
02-27-2021, 7:22 PM
In addition to the tiny Veritas square, I recently bought one of these Milwaukee 4 1/2" squares.
LINK (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Milwaukee+4.5+inch+trim+square&ref=nb_sb_noss)

Andrew Pitonyak
02-27-2021, 8:05 PM
That milwaukee square is even the right color to blend with my other red tools :-)

Andrew Pitonyak
02-27-2021, 8:05 PM
Sort of like the Woodpeckers DelVe Square with a few less features and much less expensive.
I own one of those also :-)

Mel Fulks
02-27-2021, 8:53 PM
Starrette has had one with a sliding rule for years. Too expensive as a tool ....but just right for a wife’s birthday!

Dave Zellers
02-27-2021, 10:32 PM
You guys are killing me.

I'm trying to stop.

Ray Newman
02-28-2021, 12:27 AM
A few yeras ago on a whim, I bought a Starrett 14A (2.5"sliding blade). Diminutive, but it has come hand at times.

steven c newman
02-28-2021, 12:39 AM
Hmmm..
Set to a different setting on each....

lowell holmes
03-01-2021, 9:41 AM
The difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys. :rolleyes:

Malcolm Schweizer
03-04-2021, 5:08 AM
I’m glad you posted this, because I thought about buying one and held my fingers apart to the listed dimension and said, “good grief, that’s small.” So do I really need one when I keep a 6” Starrett combination square at all times- even put it under my pillow when I sleep? (Just kidding, but don’t put it past me.). Seems a 4” combo square if you want less bulk in the pocket would still be more useful.

Not hating here- on the contrary, I’m looking for an excuse to get one. It just seems small.

Kurt Cady
03-04-2021, 7:04 AM
I’m glad you posted this, because I thought about buying one and held my fingers apart to the listed dimension and said, “good grief, that’s small.” So do I really need one when I keep a 6” Starrett combination square at all times- even put it under my pillow when I sleep? (Just kidding, but don’t put it past me.). Seems a 4” combo square if you want less bulk in the pocket would still be more useful.

Not hating here- on the contrary, I’m looking for an excuse to get one. It just seems small.

me too. Been looking at it a few months. Was thinking maybe 2” to 2.5”

Andrew Pitonyak
03-04-2021, 7:14 AM
I sometimes have things where 4" feels too large. Checking square for a blade relative to my tormek jig, marking on a small board ( remember I made toothpick boxes). Some things with dovetails. Checking blade squareness to the sides.

You should see my tiny combo square to check tiny dovetail tails for square.

Andrew Pitonyak
03-04-2021, 12:05 PM
I have one of these from Vesper tools. I needed the tiny parts for some of the smaller things that I do. A very nice square to be sure.
https://www.vespertools.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/VT_DS-Metric_Mini-1200x1200.jpg

I also have a woodpeckers mini square

https://cdn.woodpeck.com/media/catalog/product/cache/9c3c55fbde84edb4ff714d8ce8947ea6/m/a/main_minisquare_4_9.jpg

I particularly like this one when I am checking a chisel blade to see if the edge is square to the sides.

Patrick McCarthy
03-04-2021, 1:09 PM
how often does Lee Valley have free shipping? I was going to order the little guy but shipping for the $9.50 tool was $7.95 . . . . so i added it to my wish list

David Bassett
03-04-2021, 1:38 PM
how often does Lee Valley have free shipping? I was going to order the little guy but shipping for the $9.50 tool was $7.95 . . . . so i added it to my wish list

Free shipping at $30 for the entire pandemic period. ( Previously free shipping offers were usually for $40 or more and occurred IIRC for a month every couple of months. Megan Fitzpatrick once wrote a blog entry about useful items to pad orders with. Their economy marking / striking knife led that list, of course that was back when it was ~$10. This square is probably on the current version of that list.)

Jim Koepke
03-04-2021, 2:30 PM

As David mentioned free shipping now starts at $30. This is less than the periodic free shipping in the past.

One the Lee Valley home page is a header to choose which department you are interested in viewing. The drop down menu has Featured Items on the right. In most categories it has Closeout Items. This will take you to a page of some rather neat choices to fill out your shopping experience.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/clearance-products

jtk

Patrick McCarthy
03-04-2021, 2:54 PM
Jim and David, thank you.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-04-2021, 8:06 PM
Free shipping at $30 for the entire pandemic period. ( Previously free shipping offers were usually for $40 or more and occurred IIRC for a month every couple of months. Megan Fitzpatrick once wrote a blog entry about useful items to pad orders with. Their economy marking / striking knife led that list, of course that was back when it was ~$10. This square is probably on the current version of that list.)

If you don’t have the Pica dry pencil yet, get one, and get the white lead for marking darker woods. Thank me later.

David Bassett
03-04-2021, 9:09 PM
If you don’t have the Pica dry pencil yet, get one, and get the white lead for marking darker woods. Thank me later.

Well, it's Patrick trying to pad his order. (I never seem to have trouble with the $40 threshold. :) ) But thank you, I'll look at the Pico pencil.