PDA

View Full Version : I need your opinion quick...

Josh Goldsmith
01-07-2006, 1:19 AM
I have been looking for a bandsaw for the last couple weeks. Trying to get a good deal and buy the right bandsaw that will last me a while. I have been torn between the grizzly g0555 and g1073. Anyways i couldn't decide when i get an email from a guy who had a g0555 for sale about 2-3 weeks ago and told me the guy never came over and kept calling but never met up. Yeah for me :D . He wants $350 for the g0555 + 6" riser block + shop fox mobile base + 4 sets of 1/2 blades. But i need to include $100 worth of gas. So $450. I might be able to talk my dad into paying some of the gas. Isn't that a great deal? I am waiting to see some pics because he live a couple hours away. He said he only used it a few times. What should i look for? Anything in particular? Is this too good of a deal? I am a little conserned but maybe the woodworking gods helped me out;) ! Thanks

Vaughn McMillan
01-07-2006, 1:59 AM
Having just paid a bit over $650 for a similar Shop Fox bandsaw not too long ago, the $450 price tag on a lightly-used G0555 with riser sounds like a pretty decent price. Take my rookie opinion with a grain of salt, but a couple of months ago I'd have probably jumped on the deal.

Of course, I'd check out everything on the saw to the extent my knowledge would allow. You can go to the Griz site and download the manual tonight and read it to learn what's supposed to be there, and how it's supposed to be set up.

Hope this helps -

- Vaughn

Mark Rios
01-07-2006, 2:04 AM
Sounds to me like a great deal. I owned the same saw set up the same way and it was great. Except for milling large tree parts. Other than that, it was a great saw. It's difficult to get and keep a 3/4" blade properly tensioned though, at least it was for me. Hope you get it, I'm sure you'll like it.

Steve Stube
01-07-2006, 4:03 AM
What should i look for?

A vehicle that gets better gas milage.

2 hours away at 70 MPH yields 140 mile trip each way.
$100.00 worth of gas at $2.50 a gallon yields 40 gallons of gas.
280 miles using 40 gallons of gas equates to 7 MPG, not good.

But the saw deal sounds okay!

John Bailey
01-07-2006, 5:58 AM
Josh,

Sounds like a very good deal with everything that is included. I've read that a 1/2" blade is probably the best on a 14" bandsaw because the saw will be able to tension the blade better than a 3/4" blade.

John

scott spencer
01-07-2006, 7:09 AM
A vehicle that gets better gas milage.

2 hours away at 70 MPH yields 140 mile trip each way.
$100.00 worth of gas at $2.50 a gallon yields 40 gallons of gas.
280 miles using 40 gallons of gas equates to 7 MPG, not good.

But the saw deal sounds okay! Tolls and cheesebergers count as gas costs...;)

Josh - Your actual cost after "travel expenses" will be in the $450 range which puts the whole ensemble at about 60-65% of new, which seems fair to me if it's in the shape he claims. The value to you is somewhat dependent on whether or not you wanted the extras that come with it, and they all seem like great additions to me.

John Hart
01-07-2006, 7:31 AM
Tolls and cheesebergers count as gas costs...;)

The cost of Gas Manufacturing? :D

Tim Marks
01-07-2006, 8:03 AM
go for it. You won't find a better deal for a long time.

Add it all up, original cost was $675. $350 (not including travel) is a heck of deal if it is in decent shape.

Travel cost? I was considering driving to Grizzly for my last purchase (5 hours), but decided that shipping cost of $80 would be the same as I would pay for gas (310 miles / 17 mpg x $2.29/gallon x 2 ways = $83.50), not to mention sales tax. I am bettng you can shave those costs down a bit, unless you have to pay for the drivers time and vehicle!

scott spencer
01-07-2006, 8:59 AM
The cost of Gas Manufacturing? :D
...next time wait until I'm done swallowing my coffee! :D

Josh Goldsmith
01-07-2006, 11:02 AM
I think i am going to get it. How hard is it to find a matching motor for the G0555 with more hp? When i wrote that it would be a 2 hr drive it is actually 4hr each way. I did yahoo maps and it was father than i thought. Still i think it is a great deal.

Jim Becker
01-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Sounds like a good deal to me, Josh.

John Miliunas
01-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Allowing for it being as nice as the owner says it is, I'd say, "Go for it!", as well! :) For a relatively new, well-maintained tool, I think 60-70% of new is a mighty fine deal, especially as to how most WW tools of this nature are rarely discounted very deeply. Once you have that puppy in your shop, you'll be wondering how you got along w/o a BS!!!:) :cool: