PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Vase

John Hart
01-06-2006, 11:34 PM
Ok...I wanted to get some practice in tonight to try and get my wall thickness down. This looked like a fairly lousy piece of cherry with lots of cracks so I figured that it was expendable. Inside the blank was some pretty awesome colors though. Used Big Bertha to do the hogging out in the center and then the Sorby to do the rest of the hollowing. Got the walls down to about 1/8". Pretty scarey. Still not as even as I'd like but I'll keep at it. I didn't put any amber into this so I could keep the natural colors. Did the secret finish...only I used Walnut oil instead of BLO and Clear Shellac. It is 5.5" in diameter and 7" high.

Bernie Weishapl
01-06-2006, 11:40 PM
John it is beautiful. I have got to see a picture of Big Bertha everyone talks about. Would not mind seeing a picture of your Sorby. Nice job John. It is awful pretty for being expendable.

David Fried
01-06-2006, 11:42 PM
John,

Very pretty! Nice wood, great shape and finish - even the photo is well done!. Are you sure you're still practicing?

Dave Fried

Travis Stinson
01-06-2006, 11:43 PM
Sweet John! That does have some nice figure/coloring.:cool: Good job on the walls.

Bill Stevener
01-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Over all John, double A+. Quite a nice looking piece of chery.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jim Ketron
01-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Very Nice John!
Beautiful form and wood!

Cecil Arnold
01-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Really pretty John.

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-07-2006, 1:11 AM
To my eye, that form is almost perfect in it's simplicity. I'd like to see this with some 'special' material. :)

KC

Rich Stewart
01-07-2006, 2:23 AM
At the risk of sounding really stupid here, how is that connected to your headstock? Faceplate? Chuck? As usual, a very pretty piece. Gonna try me one this week end.

Michael Stafford
01-07-2006, 6:00 AM
Very pretty, John, nicely shaped and finished!:D

Carole Valentine
01-07-2006, 6:31 AM
Excellent John! Fun to incover grain like that in a chunk that at first glance, looks so blah.:D 1/8" is about as thin as I dare go right now. I'm chicken.:D

John Hart
01-07-2006, 7:00 AM
Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I think I will apply this form to a more gnarly piece as KC suggests. I bet it'll let the wood show off.

John it is beautiful. I have got to see a picture of Big Bertha everyone talks about. Would not mind seeing a picture of your Sorby. Nice job John. It is awful pretty for being expendable.

Lets see.... Here's the thread where I received the Sorby as a gift:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26892

Here's Bertha: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=26673

Very pretty! Nice wood, great shape and finish - even the photo is well done!. Are you sure you're still practicing?

Dave...Something tells me I'll never be done practicing and I'll never be satisfied. Maybe I should give up now???:rolleyes:

At the risk of sounding really stupid here, how is that connected to your headstock? Faceplate? Chuck?....

Rich, I use a 4" faceplate and 4 heavy duty stainless steel screws (1.5" long). I use the SS screws because I was tired of snapping them off while trying to mount the piece. I predrill my holes kinda small so I get a good bite but the torque required while ratcheting them in really stresses them.

Thanks again everyone!

Robert Mickley
01-07-2006, 8:57 AM
John that is beutiful!!! I love the shape

Tom Pritchard
01-07-2006, 9:07 AM
John, this vase is absolutely beautiful! What a great job you did on it! This is the kind of piece that you must sit back and look at and smile knowing that your efforts have produced something beautiful. Great job!

Chris Barton
01-07-2006, 9:16 AM
So tell me JH, how do you sleep at night knownig that you torment the rest of us with your pletheora of cherry to turn, amazing creative drive and artistic flair? Today, while you hunt wood at the tree service dump in relative safety I will be exploring the hillside behind my house where they are beginning construction of a new subdivision (much to my dismay I might add). As I time my forays to avoid the blasting (lots of limestone on this hillside) I will be thinking of you and your vase, hoping that me and my chainsaw can rescue some of the gnarled trunks of the helpless arboreal victims to become the ugly step children of your vase...

Keith Burns
01-07-2006, 9:40 AM
John, this is very, very nice. Love the form and finish. Excellent:) :)

Mark Singer
01-07-2006, 9:41 AM
John,
Really nice! I think the form and finish are great!

Ernie Nyvall
01-07-2006, 9:48 AM
Well that turned out with some really nice grain John. Nice job on form and finish too.

I tried one hat thin without preexisting cracks and it split all the way down, so way to go.

Ernie

Jim Becker
01-07-2006, 1:01 PM
Exquisite, John.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-07-2006, 5:36 PM
John......Simplicity, in and of itself brings beauty to a piece. I wouldn't change a thing with it.

A wonderful piece.

Bruce