PDA

View Full Version : dresser repair

justin sherriff
02-24-2021, 8:55 AM
I just picked up this dresser think I payed a bit more than I should of but where would I find one again. lol $300 is what I payed
2 questions

1. one of the dust trays is sagging down so the guide is not keeping to drawer straight.
My idea was to just raise up the guide with a spacer. But is there a better way that I am not thinking of?
I bit hard to see in the pic but the dust tray has a bow down in it. does not seam to be a problem with the other drawer.

2. the veneer is delaminating around the bottom. you can not see it yet form the side so I need to glue is back down befor it gets worse.
Should I just use wood glue Titebond 2 and some good tape as a clamp. or is there a better option?

Robert Engel
02-24-2021, 9:40 AM
Personally I'd get rid of those center guides they are horrible and prone to failure.

I'd install some guides on the sides. Simple to do just some strips to build out flush with face frame. Solves sagging divider problem, too.

You can incorporate a kicker for the drawer below.

You can use just about any glue to repair the veneer using clamp blocks.

Leo Butler
02-24-2021, 11:12 AM
1. one of the dust trays is sagging down so the guide is not keeping to drawer straight. My idea was to just raise up the guide with a spacer. But is there a better way that I am not thinking of?

Justin, you can see in the pic above that there's a crack in the green area of that lateral piece of wood which is causing the sagging. If you can replace it, that would be your best option. Alternately, you might be able to use a piece of straight or angle iron to patch in a support if it won't interfere with anything.

justin sherriff
02-24-2021, 7:30 PM
Justin, you can see in the pic above that there's a crack in the green area of that lateral piece of wood which is causing the sagging. If you can replace it, that would be your best option. Alternately, you might be able to use a piece of straight or angle iron to patch in a support if it won't interfere with anything.

That is a knot there.
angle iron would not be to hard to use it would not take much force to keep it up either.

lowell holmes
02-24-2021, 9:33 PM
I would find a scrap of oak and repair it with oak.

Jim Matthews
02-25-2021, 8:14 AM
lol $300 is what I payed
2 questions

1. one of the dust trays is sagging down so the guide is not keeping to drawer straight.
2. the veneer is delaminating around the bottom. you can not see it yet form the side so I need to glue is back down befor it gets worse.
Should I just use wood glue Titebond 2 and some good tape as a clamp.

$300 is about the cost for materials, let alone all the tools and necessary skills required to make something this nice. You paid a fair price.

If the dust tray is loosely tacked or lightly glued to the carcass sides - it would be easier to repair when removed.

Titebond and clamps (with wax paper covering the clamp pad) should work fine.

Drop me a PM for more detail on how I would make a plywood "gusset" to shore up the failed dust panel rail.

I might even take some pictures.

It's a nicely made dresser in VERY good condition.

Kudos on keeping it out of the landfill.