PDA

View Full Version : Captured Ring On A Goblet with a Mini In The Cup

Bill Stevener
01-06-2006, 11:33 PM
Hi Gang,
Just so you don't think I have been slacking off, thought I would pop up a couple of photos.
No finish, as when I put the lacquer on the first small one I turned and waited for it to float to the top of the drop, the lacquer dried and I couldn't get it out. :confused:

Just having some fun,

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Bernie Weishapl
01-06-2006, 11:35 PM
Bill that is cool. I hope someday I will be able to make something that small. Good job.

Frank Chaffee
01-07-2006, 12:40 AM
Hey Bill,
You are way outdoing yourself, big guy.
Very nice and precise work.
Frank

Rich Stewart
01-07-2006, 1:30 AM
Another big dime. Where do you guys get them?

Pretty cool.

Dennis Peacock
01-07-2006, 2:20 AM
Very Nice....but how do you SEE something that small on the lathe!???:confused:

Sheesh....you must have some really SMALL tools to do that itty-bitty turning with.

John Hart
01-07-2006, 6:23 AM
Holy Cow Bill! The other day, I had to use a magnifier to see the date on an old penny. You have detail in there that is smaller than the date. Sheesh! The forms are great!!!

Carole Valentine
01-07-2006, 6:27 AM
Holy smoke Bill! Now you are getting to the point of doing things I can't even see.:) You must post pics of the tools you use for something that Micro Itty Bitty.

Michael Stafford
01-07-2006, 7:41 AM
My shavings, noodles, wood chips coming off the tool are bigger than that....:p Incredible, Bill.:D

Andy Hoyt
01-07-2006, 8:02 AM
Who's your optician?

Pete Simmons
01-07-2006, 8:18 AM
How do you make such real looking dimes? Do they work in vending machines, slot machines?

I would like to make some $20 Gold pieces and a few Silver Dollars. Can you help?

Would you consider selling home made Silver Dollars???

Chris Barton
01-07-2006, 9:27 AM
Bill, I am very impressed, I really am but, I have some bigger pieces of wood and would be happy to share them with you.

Dick Parr
01-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Those are really outstanding Bill. Great job.

Jeremiah Jordan
01-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Very nice job Bill. Heck, me being young, I have a hard time SEEING the smaller cup in the photo, and that is enlarged. Fantastic work.

Jeremiah

Jim Becker
01-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Dime, that's nice!!! :D

Keith Burns
01-07-2006, 1:22 PM
Bill, I've heard of being frugal with high dollar wood , but you are just downright cheap.:D :D Great looking micro itty itty bitty mini for sure:)

Curt Fuller
01-07-2006, 1:53 PM
Bill, do you turn those from shavings? They're amazing!

Bill Stevener
01-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Bill, I've heard of being frugal with high dollar wood , but you are just downright cheap.:D :D Great looking micro itty itty bitty mini for sure:)

Hi All,

Thanks for looking, and all the nice words.

Of the posts noted I chose to capture the one from Keith. It relates some what to the subject.

I have always been interested in small turnings, only lately really getting into them. A bit or research on the net, really set me off. I turned a number of minis a week ago and posted 7 on the unmentionable auction page this past week. All seven sold, some higher than others, so far doing well.
I have observed that one other turner does quite well, as well. These little turnings sell as high as $35.00 to $40.00 and up.

If we look at a bowl turned from a blank 12" sq. x 3" tk. that is 3 board ft. We all know that. If we get a 12" x 3" bowl out of it, one is an outstanding turner. If we get $60.00 for our bowl, one has done quite well. Just a shot, but about 80% of the wood winds up in chips, and out in the garden as compost, or bedding for the dog.

Now, I look at the mines this way. In 3 board ft. there are 432 inches. One can get a mini out of an inch. AT $35.00 an inch turning, that comes to $15,120.00. No large amount of chips, just dust and the collector gets that and I never, never got $15,000 for a bowl.

Frugal, Yes. Conservative, Yes. Pleasing others with a passion for small things Yes. Me, having a ton of fun, Yes.

See if I can't post some photos of the mine tools tomorow, today was spent rebulding the computer, power suply wiped out:mad: .

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Ernie Nyvall
01-07-2006, 11:17 PM
Wow Bill, that is really incredible. That's itty itty bitty.

Ernie

Jerry Clark
01-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Wow Bill, that is nice and small. I like your "creative accounting". Sounds like a CEO of a big corp. :rolleyes: Glad you are doing good in sales. Thanks for sharing.:D

Bill Stevener
01-08-2006, 1:45 PM
Some of the tools used when turning the miniatures.

I use several of the Sorby miniature turning tools. When it gets down to the small work, they tend to be quite large. I find a good variety of tools that are intended for wood carving can be adjusted some what for turning, as well as, are available in extremely small sizes.

In the photo is a set of picks from Ace hardware, reground to suit and work very well for excavating hollow forms. Several, of a vast variety of dental picks, excellent steel, regrind to suit. Some wood carving tools, reground. An 0.080'' gouge, 1/8" gouge and a 1/4" skew.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

John Hart
01-08-2006, 2:40 PM
Hot Dog!!! Nice set of tools Bill! :)