PDA

View Full Version : Little gloat

Ed Falis
07-14-2003, 8:02 PM
A month or so back I picked up a long-neglected Foley Belsaw model 985 planer-molder for a few hundred bucks. This thing is 12-3/4 width, 6-1/4 thickness, with a 5HP Baldor motor in it. Today I finished moving electricity around, refurbishing the planer and so on.

Ran some maple through it to try it out: whoo-eee!!! Very nice.

- Ed

Ron Meadows
07-14-2003, 8:06 PM
But where are the pictures????

Ed Falis
07-14-2003, 8:17 PM
But where are the pictures????

I'll see what I can do.

Keith Outten
07-14-2003, 9:25 PM
Ed,

Ten years ago a friend of mine used his Foley Belsaw planer/molder to run a very large batch of red oak trim molding for my workshop when It was under construction. The machine did an amazing job, the molding it produced was and still is flawless. I'm reminded every time I look out any window of my workshop. I hope your machine performs as well.

Ed Falis
07-15-2003, 9:59 AM
Thanks, Keith. At this point, I'm just getting the planing part rolling. Will need to get some additional things to try out making molding. Since we recently moved to a 1900-vintage house, I'm expecting to get some use out of it.

- Ed

"Felix Marti"
04-03-2006, 9:01 AM
Hello all, my first post; hope I'm using proper etiquette.
I have a Foley Belsaw model 912 in excellent shape mounted on casters for "easy" moving.
A Baldor 3HP motor.
8 sets of moulding knives (crown, casing, base, etc).
1 set planer knives.
I used this machine to produce mouldings for three different houses. I'd measure the room lengths and then scarf-joint my stock to a few inches longer than needed, then run the stock through the moulder. This produces one pice mouldings (no field joints) and a much better looking job.
The longest piece I made and installed single-handed was a 25 ftx 3-1/2 oak crown moulding; FUN!
I am now too close to blind to continue woodworking and am selling all my tools and hardwoods.
I believe $1100 for the Belsaw equipment is a fair/fair price.
I may be reached at 970-626-5426 or fmarti@ridgwayco.net.

Ted Jay
04-03-2006, 9:14 AM
Hello all, my first post; hope I'm using proper etiquette.
I have a Foley Belsaw model 912 in excellent shape mounted on casters for "easy" moving.
A Baldor 3HP motor.
8 sets of moulding knives (crown, casing, base, etc).
1 set planer knives.
I used this machine to produce mouldings for three different houses. I'd measure the room lengths and then scarf-joint my stock to a few inches longer than needed, then run the stock through the moulder. This produces one pice mouldings (no field joints) and a much better looking job.
The longest piece I made and installed single-handed was a 25 ftx 3-1/2 oak crown moulding; FUN!
I am now too close to blind to continue woodworking and am selling all my tools and hardwoods.
I believe $1100 for the Belsaw equipment is a fair/fair price.
I may be reached at 970-626-5426 or fmarti@ridgwayco.net.

Felix, can you post any pics?