PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop replaceable inserts - any opinions from owners

Johnny Barr
02-23-2021, 8:06 PM
I just came across this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk66IacfJ6o ) and these look really interesting. I often make cuts at regular angles and widths and to have specific inserts for the these tasks is appealing. Where I come from having these shipped would cost about $150AUD delivered including 2 inserts whereas genuine Sawstop inserts would cost about $90 AUD delivered. Replaceable inserts cost about $20AUD for a pack of 4 including ones to hold the riving knife, splitter and dado. Sounds like a much more cost effective way to go if you need about 5 or 6 inserts for particular tasks

Anyone got these and have an opinion on their durability and accuracy as well as how snugly they fit?

ChrisA Edwards
02-23-2021, 9:01 PM
I have these on my SawStop 3HP PCS. I've had them for about a year now.

No issues, easy to swap the insert, the white part, out for the appropriate blade.

I bought a few extra (white) inserts, so i have ZCI inserts for ripping cross cutting and 1/4" and 3/8" dado.

I dropped one of my OEM Sawstop inserts and cracked it, so that was when I decided to go with the Infinity setup.

No regrets.

Frank Pratt
02-23-2021, 9:48 PM
I've got one & like it a lot. But the inserts they supply are made of a particularly poor grade of MDF & when I need more, I'll be making some out of hardboard or maybe Medex. Even when drilling pilot holes for the 2 screws they strip out if I even look at them funny. I drip a little CA glue in the holes, which helps some.

ChrisA Edwards
02-23-2021, 10:20 PM
I skipped putting those screws in. Once the complete insert is in place, in the table, the white insert isn't going anywhere.

Johnny Barr
02-23-2021, 10:31 PM
Thanks guys, I'm convinced!
Any problems with raising the blade to cut the slots, particularly 45 bevel slots? Is there any chance the blade might hit the plate and set off the brake?

Ray Newman
02-23-2021, 11:33 PM
See "Fine Woodworking" Tools and Shops 2016 for an article and plans for shop-fabricated zero clearance insert for SawStop.

On my ICS I run the improved version of the Infinity/Colliflower ZCI without using screws and agree with Frank pratt's assessment about the MDF replacement inserts. http://www.colliflower-zci.com/store/sawstop.

"Nevva" thought about using hardboard, but is it a "true" 1/4" thick??

Frank Pratt
02-24-2021, 12:15 AM
I skipped putting those screws in. Once the complete insert is in place, in the table, the white insert isn't going anywhere.

But once the slot for the riving knife is cut, there isn't much to keep the 2 ends of the insert secure. I don't know if that matters much cause I guess the RK would keep them from squishing together & flopping around.

Alan Lightstone
02-24-2021, 8:47 AM
The biggest issue I have with the Infinity inserts is that I constantly need to get out my metric Allen wrench to adjust the height as it is different from the stock Sawstop inserts which I normally use. If I just used the Inifinity version, that wouldn't be an issue.

Yes the MDF inserts are an issue and the screws strip out instantly. And I also put crazy glue on them.

You need to take care when raising the blade to cut the slots. But that is true for all of the inserts I have used.

So, mixed feelings about the Infinity version.

Al Weber
02-24-2021, 8:50 AM
What is the difference between the original and improved version? From the information on the site it appears that there is a 7/16" difference in width. Kind of confusing.

Frank Pratt
02-24-2021, 9:16 AM
The biggest issue I have with the Infinity inserts is that I constantly need to get out my metric Allen wrench to adjust the height as it is different from the stock Sawstop inserts which I normally use. If I just used the Inifinity version, that wouldn't be an issue.

I initially dealt with the hassle of adjusting the levelling screws when swapping plates. Then one day I asked myself why I was using the original at all & stuck it in a drawer, never to be used again. No reason too. the Infinity MDF inserts swap out more quickly than the screwing around with the leveling screws.

Alan Lightstone
02-24-2021, 9:21 AM
I forgot to mention that the front set screw is stripped also. For a while I used it exclusively and put the Sawstop on back in a drawer. But the Sawstop one just levels better to the table, and just feels sturdier.

Now I do use mine. Just did today. But it could use sturdier inserts and a better leveling system. IMHO.

ChrisA Edwards
02-24-2021, 9:29 AM
I initially dealt with the hassle of adjusting the levelling screws when swapping plates. Then one day I asked myself why I was using the original at all & stuck it in a drawer, never to be used again. No reason too. the Infinity MDF inserts swap out more quickly than the screwing around with the leveling screws.

Same here, once I was happy with the Infinity, I haven't used my OEM inserts.

I haven't had any issues with the inserts that are split for the riving knife, not using the securing screws, I do handle the white insert piece with care. I usually lower my blade, put the complete insert in the table, and then raise the blade as necessary.

On the white inserts, I did have to sand the leading front edge about 1/64". There was just enough of a lip to feel as you moved the work piece towards the blade.

Jim Becker
02-24-2021, 9:52 AM

A simple rare earth magnet on the cabinet can hold dedicated Allen wrenches for both types of inserts so you always know where it is.

ChrisA Edwards
02-24-2021, 10:20 AM
From The Infinity Tools website, I have version 2, they are now selling version 3.

Why did the design get updated again? Is the new design 3 pieces? It looks like 2 aluminum pieces connected by a white ZCI piece. Is this correct?

Question by: Eric Vatral on Jan 20, 2021, 7:10:26 PM
The New 100-358 is still a one-piece aluminum plate with a replaceable ZCI insert. The Insert itself is now wider so that the anti-kickback pawls on the overarm guard will not touch and potentially scratch the aluminum plate. The inserts are also longer so that the open back inserts are stiffer and do not require the "tails' to be held in place by screws. This makes insert changes easier and more convenient.

Answer by: Andrew - Customer Service (Admin) on Jan 29, 2021, 3:10:02 PM

Alan Lightstone
02-24-2021, 3:43 PM
From The Infinity Tools website, I have version 2, they are now selling version 3.

Now, if they would only swap out the older versions... :rolleyes:

Johnny Barr
02-24-2021, 10:10 PM
I asked this above but didn't get an answer. Is it possible to activate the brake when raising the blade at 45 degrees or is there enough of a gap between the blade and the insert?

Alan Lightstone
02-24-2021, 10:49 PM
Is it possible? I guess. But I was using mine today at 45 degrees.

ChrisA Edwards
02-24-2021, 10:56 PM
I will make a short YouTube video, tomorrow, showing my setup.

I've used mine with the blade tilted at 45 degrees.

Johnny Barr
02-24-2021, 11:26 PM
I will make a short YouTube video, tomorrow, showing my setup.

I've used mine with the blade tilted at 45 degrees.

Look forward to that!

glenn bradley
02-24-2021, 11:35 PM
I got the one that uses an insert remarkably like the Infinity(?). Don't recall the name and it is currently installed on my Saw Stop that is in storage. Looks similar. The name started with a "C" . . . Coliflower maybe. I was able to make my own inserts out of scrap as well as melamine so I have never bought the refills.

Andrew Gibson
02-25-2021, 9:50 AM
I see a few questions that I can help with. I have worked for Infinity now for 7 years as "Resident Woodworker"
Infinity is not the manufacturer of the SawStop Insert. It was invented and is manufactured by Jack Colliflower of Colliflower LLC.

We communicate regularly with jack and he is a great supplier and inventor. We are proud to market, sell, and support his products. We also carry his ZCI insert for miter saws.

We recently introduced the Gen 3. SS ZCI. It has a few nice upgrades over previous versions. The main difference is that the replaceable insert is wider and longer. This makes it stiffer when the saw kerf is cut and also allows the anti kickback pawls on the blade guard to not rest on the aluminum part of the ZCI and possibly dig in. (If you lower the blade with the pawls down they tend to do their job and dig) the pawls tend to slide better on the melamine but if they do catch the insert is replaceable. The new longer inserts are also a little easier to make if you are inclined to make your own replacements.

When you look at the Insert you will notice that the lift hole is directly in line with the saws arbor. This makes it impossible for the arbor to touch the insert and trigger the brake when tilted to 45°. You can even run a full dado stack at full extension and at 45° without issue. This was the biggest change made from V1 to V2 many years ago. The original V1 did not have the lift hole in line with the arbor and the tilted full stack dado scenario could in theory cause a brake activation (you had to back the leveling screw all the way out so the insert sat way done in the throat IIRC). In selling the Colliflower inserts for more than 7 years I don't think this has ever been reported by a customer. I have personally tested and used all three versions and tried to get the saw to trip but have never been able to get the saw to fire... I did do it accidently with an aluminum miter gauge once...

PS. The video in the first post is of the V1 insert and goes back quite a few years, 7 or 8 I think. We are working on a new video of the V3 insert so keep an eye out in the coming weeks if you are interested.

Frank Pratt
02-25-2021, 9:55 AM
Thanks for posting that info Andrew. I have the V2 & like it, but that V3 is definitely an improvement.

Alan Lightstone
02-25-2021, 10:18 AM
Thanks Andrew.

BTW, you give a very nice workshop at Infinity. At least before Covid, sigh.... Infinity is a very nice company to deal with, BTW, and I love that they are local.

It's tempting to get a version 3 to avoid some of the issues.

Has the set screw issues for the height been addressed? (I guess if I keep it in the Sawstop and don't switch out between the Sawstop and the Infinity/Colliflower insert that's a non-issue.) If so, I might be driving over there tomorrow for a pickup.

Jim Dwight
02-25-2021, 10:54 AM
I have one and like it but not the crummy mdf inserts. I've made my own out of plywood and solid wood and they are at least better than the mdf ones. I probably have the original design, the insert is narrow but it can support a 3/4 dado stack. But there is very little insert on the left with mine and if you use a 3/4 dado there will be very little on the right. Wider insert makes sense. I have also ditched the screws for the insert. They do not work and are unnecessary.

I think when I got mine they were guaranteeing it would not set off the cartridge. Did they stop that? I think there is clearance but at least on mine, you can get within about 1/4 of an inch.

Even with it's limitations it's a significant improvement over the SawStop insert. The only thing the SawStop is better at is staying down as you raise the blade. But with the Colliflower properly adjusted it stays down OK.

Andrew Gibson
02-25-2021, 10:56 AM
The screws for the rear, The two pan heads that are actually part of the saw use a 5/16 allen key, all of the set screws in the Colliflowner insert use a 1/8" allen. If your planning to come by, check the web or give is a call to check on stock status. The fist batch of the V3 inserts went like hot cakes. I think you know we are doing pickup only because of the covid thing, so you have to place toe order on line or over the phone. The good news is we will have it ready and waiting when you get here.

Thanks Andrew.

BTW, you give a very nice workshop at Infinity. At least before Covid, sigh.... Infinity is a very nice company to deal with, BTW, and I love that they are local.

It's tempting to get a version 3 to avoid some of the issues.

Has the set screw issues for the height been addressed? (I guess if I keep it in the Sawstop and don't switch out between the Sawstop and the Infinity/Colliflower insert that's a non-issue.) If so, I might be driving over there tomorrow for a pickup.

Andrew Gibson
02-25-2021, 11:08 AM
Hi Jim, in all honesty I think we may have replaced one in all these years. It has just never been an issue. We rarely get asked about a guarantee. Jack always says he will take care of anyone that has an issue. This is the advantage of working with a small American manufacturer.

I have one and like it but not the crummy mdf inserts. I've made my own out of plywood and solid wood and they are at least better than the mdf ones. I probably have the original design, the insert is narrow but it can support a 3/4 dado stack. But there is very little insert on the left with mine and if you use a 3/4 dado there will be very little on the right. Wider insert makes sense. I have also ditched the screws for the insert. They do not work and are unnecessary.

I think when I got mine they were guaranteeing it would not set off the cartridge. Did they stop that? I think there is clearance but at least on mine, you can get within about 1/4 of an inch.

Even with it's limitations it's a significant improvement over the SawStop insert. The only thing the SawStop is better at is staying down as you raise the blade. But with the Colliflower properly adjusted it stays down OK.

ChrisA Edwards
02-25-2021, 1:52 PM
As promised, but remember this is Version 2, one generation behind what Infinity is selling now.

https://youtu.be/VZK8_qgAeGg

Bill Sutherland
02-26-2021, 8:39 AM
They also make a zero clearance for the Jobsite saw as well as inserts for most all brands of table saws. I had the zero clearance inserts on my Kapex as well.