PDA

View Full Version : Fence placement when jointing narrow boards?

Travis Conner
02-23-2021, 6:25 PM
Do you leave the fence all the all the way to the back or do you move it closer towards you so you don't have to reach as far? I guess you can move it around too to make sure the cutter heads get used evenly.

Bruce King
02-23-2021, 6:33 PM
I try to move mine when I remember to. When I bought it the salesman said You are going to move it after every cut and I thought to myself, yeah right

Robert Hayward
02-23-2021, 6:56 PM
I move my jointer fence around to keep the cutters wearing somewhat evenly. Edge jointing thin stock though I usually keep it close the side I am working from.

Rod Sheridan
02-23-2021, 7:11 PM
I leave mine in the rear position as I joint one face then edge before going on to the next board.....Rod

Andrew Hughes
02-23-2021, 7:14 PM
I set the fence where I think the knives are the sharpest.
I have 12 inches of knife to choose from

Jon Barnett
02-26-2021, 6:41 AM
I leave mine in the rear position as I joint one face then edge before going on to the next board.....Rod

This for me +1

Jim Fox
02-26-2021, 10:08 AM

Me as well +2

glenn bradley
02-26-2021, 10:15 AM
Do you leave the fence all the all the way to the back or do you move it closer towards you so you don't have to reach as far? I guess you can move it around too to make sure the cutter heads get used evenly.

This describes my use.

Andrew More
02-26-2021, 10:27 AM
I've got a helical head, so I don't think position matters as much as it would on a straight knife. Wearing out the carbines in one section can be fixed by just replacing that section of carbides.

So I do the same as Rod, where I have it setup to do both edges and faces.