PDA

View Full Version : This morning, I'm talking to a lot of strangers.

Stephen Tashiro
02-23-2021, 1:08 PM
Apparently someone is spoofing my phone number this morning. I'm getting calls from a lot of people who think they missed a call from me and I haven't called anyone. So far, only one caller has been upset about it.

glenn bradley
02-23-2021, 1:22 PM
I am concerned for the people returning the non-calls. I thought we had educated the masses about NOT returning calls from unknown numbers back in the late 90's. Pearls before swine . . . for shame.

Stephen Tashiro
02-23-2021, 1:40 PM
I am concerned for the people returning the non-calls. I thought we had educated the masses about NOT returning calls from unknown numbers back in the late 90's.

However, a person running a business may suffer by ignoring calls from unfamiliar numbers. People who place For Sale or Lost Pet ads are in a similar situation.

My non-cell home phone has the "advantage" that it doesn't display caller ID. I don't know if buying a more modern phone set would make caller-ID work. I think I'd have to pay Century Link extra for that service.

Barry McFadden
02-23-2021, 1:47 PM
I am concerned for the people returning the non-calls. I thought we had educated the masses about NOT returning calls from unknown numbers back in the late 90's. Pearls before swine . . . for shame.

I agree with Glenn..... if I phoned every number that shows up on my phone that I didn't recognize I would spend all day phoning people....

Stan Calow
02-23-2021, 2:03 PM
Not answering a call from an unfamiliar number, is also currently a problem, when you're waiting for a vaccine appointment and don't know where it might come from.

Brian Tymchak
02-23-2021, 3:12 PM
Apparently someone is spoofing my phone number this morning. I'm getting calls from a lot of people who think they missed a call from me and I haven't called anyone. So far, only one caller has been upset about it.

I actually got call from myself one day...

Lee Schierer
02-23-2021, 3:20 PM
I actually got call from myself one day...

We also received several phone calls from ourselves. Recently we have also been getting lots of phone calls from supposedly local numbers. I answered one by mistake when I was in the shop where the phone doesn't display the caller ID and it was supposedly Amazon calling about an order we had made and wanted me to call a number. We hadn't made any orders recently with Amazon and if it was really amazon, why were they using a local number where there is no Amazon establishment..

Jim Koepke
02-23-2021, 4:10 PM
it was supposedly Amazon calling about an order we had made and wanted me to call a number. We hadn't made any orders recently with Amazon and if it was really amazon, why were they using a local number where there is no Amazon establishment..

Telephone scams are so prevalent it is a wonder there is anyone left who doesn't know.

We receive more scam calls than people we know calling.

As long as the service providers & politicians do not have to do anything they will do nothing to remove this plague from our lives.

jtk