PDA

View Full Version : Makita 5600D Cordless Circular Saw

Thom Hartnett
02-15-2021, 3:50 PM
All, I have a Makita 5600D cordless circular saw that I got 20+ years ago and am having trouble sourcing batteries. Really like the saw but it uses model 1000 batteries that Makita didn't even remember supplying when I called customer service. So, I nursed the two I had along for years but they are as dead as they come now. I split them open and they have 2/3rds D cells which I cannot find. Got 1/2 D cells and pieced together the battery array, but while the battery pack shows some voltage, the charger is not recognizing it. So, long story short, anyone have advice on where to get a replacement battery pack? I've of course checked the web and cannot locate any. Might be time to give up on this tool, but I tend to keep things far longer than I should. (My car has 250k miles and going strong!). As always, thanks in advance for your help. Cheers, Thom

Jim Becker
02-15-2021, 4:14 PM
Have you inquired with a commercial battery rebuilder?

But yea...if you can't provide the juice, it's time for a replacement saw. Current generations of Makita and Milwaukee battery operated circular saws are very nice.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-16-2021, 9:01 AM
I don't now Makita battery "etymology", but is there perhaps an adapter for a new battery design for that saw? Dewalt generally has an adapter available for a while when they come out with a newer type of battery. Allows the older tools to keep working longer if you can find one.

Thom Hartnett
02-19-2021, 2:44 PM
Jim and Steve, thank you for the input. As a follow-up, this story has a happy ending. First off, I did not realize that battery pack rebuilding is a cottage industry and there are multiple source available. While I did not check with any of them directly, none had my battery listed as rebuildable although if I were stuck would certainly have pursued. I suspect it was either because the batteries this pack uses are unavailable, or the market is not demanding it. What I did find in troubleshooting why my "rebuilt by me battery pack" did not work was a blown internal fuse on the Makita charger. So, replaced that fuse, inserted the battery pack and they charged and worked well in the saw. Don''t know mAh of original batteries but worst case is 1/6 less use time, but difference is probably negligible. So, this saw is back in business but Jim, appreciate your advise. Given all the time and effort to get it back in service, next time it will be replaced with a more modern saw, and one that I have newer battery packs for. Cheers, Thom

Jim Becker
02-19-2021, 5:45 PM
'Glad it worked out for you, Thom. I mentioned the newer saws mostly because one of the 'Tubers I happen to follow uses "truckloads" of cordless tools in his post-frame business and regularly reviews stuff. He's a fan of both Milwaukee and Makita for the circular saws and uses a bunch of them, both "normal" and in the case of the Maketa, their track saw, too. He does use the Festool with the captive track for some accurate crosscutting, too. That dude even uses battery power supplies for some tools with tails instead of a generator. :)