PDA

View Full Version : Stains on new table saw top

Tony Guillory
02-15-2021, 2:48 PM
Hello,

i recently purchased the SawStop PCS and these stains have appeared on the cast iron. I have not exposed it to water at all. Can anyone give me an idea of how to get rid of them and prevent in the future?

Rod Sheridan
02-15-2021, 3:34 PM
Hi Tony, I would suggest cleaning it with Varsol and a green Scotchbrite pad, then wipe it down and wax it with paste wax meant for hardwood floors, not automotive wax which could contain silicones.........regards, Rod.

Frank Pratt
02-15-2021, 4:19 PM
Use it till the stains are gone. No matter what you do, if the saw gets used, it's not going to stay looking pristine & new.

Jim Becker
02-15-2021, 4:25 PM
Use it till the stains are gone. No matter what you do, if the saw gets used, it's not going to stay looking pristine & new.
^^ This.......... :) But what Rod mentions is also sound advice.

Bruce King
02-15-2021, 5:09 PM
Both spots look about the same.
Looks like a box with a wet bottom was set down and then moved a foot or so.

Tony Guillory
02-15-2021, 8:50 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice and information. I took Rod's advice and it worked! Thanks so much!

Lee Schierer
02-15-2021, 8:56 PM
Both spots look about the same.
Looks like a box with a wet bottom was set down and then moved a foot or so.

Three identical stains looks like something was set down and moved three times. Or it may be glue. If you haven't done it yet, wax your table top with Johnson Paste wax. You'll be glad you did.

BOB OLINGER
02-16-2021, 7:46 AM
Hi Tony, I would suggest cleaning it with Varsol and a green Scotchbrite pad, then wipe it down and wax it with paste wax meant for hardwood floors, not automotive wax which could contain silicones.........regards, Rod.

Rod,

Where can I purchase Varsol in small quantity? Is it sold under a different trade name?

Thanks.

Jack Frederick
02-16-2021, 2:08 PM
I went to a local paint store that stocks automotive and aviation finishes and picked up a Grease & Wax Remover. No real brand as it was private labeled for that paint store. My table saw, jointer and BS were in need of attention. I wiped the G&W remover, rubbed it well, let dry and hit it with an X-fine sanding block. Wiped down again and applied the Johnson's Paste Wax, and all three came up great. Dispose of the rags carefully. I do have a pesky stain on the BS that had no intention of giving up. I've used the Johnson's Wax with success for probably 20 yrs. with good results...as long as you stay up with it.

roger wiegand
02-16-2021, 2:14 PM
Kind of like that first scratch on the bed of your new work truck. Throw in a few more boulders and get on with life.

Rod Sheridan
02-16-2021, 5:05 PM
Rod,

Where can I purchase Varsol in small quantity? Is it sold under a different trade name?

Thanks.

Hi, it may be called paint thinner or mineral spirits....Regards, Rod

lowell holmes
02-16-2021, 5:46 PM
I keep a can of Johnson's wax and I use it on my saw table and anything else I want to protect. A can will last for years,

Curt Putnam
02-16-2021, 8:26 PM
I like to remove the factory coating as best I can. Then I liberally coat the cast iron with CorrosionX-HD and wipe off excess the next day. A week or two later, I will coat with Johnson's. I do not believe that JPW has any real moisture barrier capabilities. A simple test: Wax some cast iron and set it outside for a week, or just put a damp sponge on your waxed CI.

Alan Lightstone
02-17-2021, 8:43 AM
Varsol's MSDS says its comprised of Mineral Spirits and Naptha. Produced by ExxonMobil.

Never heard of it before. Interesting.... Always love learning new things. Thanks, Rod.

Alex Zeller
02-17-2021, 2:23 PM
Wait til summer comes and you're sweating. Sweat on your hands and dripping from other parts of your body will keep you busy. Yes, brand new and shiny looks nice but you didn't buy it to admire it.

Frank Pratt
02-17-2021, 3:39 PM
Wait til summer comes and you're sweating. Sweat on your hands and dripping from other parts of your body will keep you busy. Yes, brand new and shiny looks nice but you didn't buy it to admire it.

I dunno. Check out the SawStop Facebook group. I think half the members buy one just to look at, caress, and leave angsty posts about the latest fingerprint or smudge :)

Kyle Iwamoto
02-17-2021, 5:26 PM
I dunno. Check out the SawStop Facebook group. I think half the members buy one just to look at, caress, and leave angsty posts about the latest fingerprint or smudge :)

I'm not a member of the group, but personally I'm VERY protective and no liquids whatsoever gets on or near my shiny old SS.:)

Yes as mentioned many times JPW works wonders. Steel wool and JPW from time to time if I accidentally do use the saw and some perspiration gets on it.

I'm going to have to check out that group and have a chuckle.

Dan Cameron
02-17-2021, 5:43 PM

I'm reminded of a posting many years ago on the usenet rec.woodworking forum. A neighborhood cat had stained the op's brand new unisaw and he had tried all sorts of solvents to no avail. The best response suggested he burnish it with a freshly tanned cat pelt and get on with woodworking!

Dave Opsahl
02-17-2021, 7:06 PM
Kind of like that first scratch on the bed of your new work truck. Throw in a few more boulders and get on with life.

This.^^^ 😉

johnny means
02-18-2021, 10:41 AM
Obliagatory meme