PDA

View Full Version : Huntin' Tomorrow

John Hart
01-06-2006, 3:51 PM
Hi All,
This is kinda short notice, but I'm going out to a Tree Service dumping ground where there is lots of discarded Cherry, Buckeye, Maple....You know...trees. Anyway, I'm just huntin' for some natural edge possibilities for my own personal use, armed with nothing but a chainsaw and a gallon of gas.

If anyone would like me to look for something for them, let me know.

Bill Stevener
01-06-2006, 4:26 PM
Hay John,
That sounds great. Hows about some awesome Amboyna Burl.:D

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.:)

Don Baer
01-06-2006, 4:41 PM
I'll take all of the Shlamaca you can come up with...:rolleyes:

Mike Ramsey
01-06-2006, 5:17 PM
Don beat me to it :( , but I would like some Crotchy Shlamaca myself!

John Hart
01-06-2006, 5:27 PM
You guys are killing me!!! Ok...One Amboyna Burl and two snow covered Shlamaca.....Would you like syrup with that?;)

Andy Hoyt
01-06-2006, 5:27 PM
I want some SMS. Spalted Myrtle Shlamaca -------- with fries

Mark Cothren
01-06-2006, 5:28 PM
Buckeye... mmmmmmmmm... sounds yummy...

Good luck!

John Miliunas
01-06-2006, 5:50 PM
Hmmmmm...Never tried Buckeye!!!:D 'Course, NE anything is kinda' nice, IMHO!:) Good luck, John!!!:) :cool:

Chris Barton
01-06-2006, 5:55 PM
Hi John,

Normally I would ask that you bring back a couple of truck loads of cherry, maple, and buckeye but, you have been too good to me in the past. I have a new subdivision comming in behind my house where there was nothing but woods so, I now have a nearly unlimited supply of wood for the short term. Maybe I will send you some chinquapine oak, maple, hackberry, WUO...

Carole Valentine
01-06-2006, 5:57 PM
Now that's my idea of huntin'!!! Good luck!:)

John Hart
01-06-2006, 6:32 PM
Ok...I'm hearing "Buckeye" I'll just stuff my lil' car with some of the good stuff and let y'all know tomorrow.

Hey Chris...I've never tried Hackberry but I sure like what I've seen here on the forum. I'll take you up on that. What is Chinquapine Oak?

Bob Noles
01-06-2006, 6:35 PM
John,

I'll keep it simple for ya.... If you see somethning YOU like, you can be sure I will like it even better, so I'll just have a slice of what you're having :D :cool: :p

BTW.... Fedex paid me a visit today :)

John Hart
01-06-2006, 7:37 PM
BTW.... Fedex paid me a visit today :)

Cool!!! They're kinda square though. Yer gonna hafta fix that!!;)

Ernie Nyvall
01-06-2006, 8:15 PM
You say shlamaca, I say shlamuca.

John ole buddy and favorite pal of mine. Would you trade some buckeye for some black walnut... okay how about some pine cones... sweetgum balls?

Ernie

John Hart
01-06-2006, 9:05 PM
You say shlamaca, I say shlamuca.

John ole buddy and favorite pal of mine. Would you trade some buckeye for some black walnut... okay how about some pine cones... sweetgum balls?

Ernie

Why coitenly!! I'm in the mood for some walnut and can't seem to find any! I just hope I can find some Buckeye. There's only about 15 billion of them....I hope the tree services have been cutting them down.:rolleyes:

John Hart
01-06-2006, 9:06 PM
Oh...Yeah...And I gotta remember to get Andy some Fries.

Carole Valentine
01-06-2006, 9:37 PM
I just hope I can find some Buckeye. There's only about 15 billion of them....I hope the tree services have been cutting them down.:rolleyes:
How does Buckeye turn? We don't have any of that here...at least not that I have recognized. I missed a lot of walnut by a day last week. The lady sent me an email, it got caught in my spam trap and by the time I saw it and called her someone had come and hauled it away for firewood.:( I have a little Irish blood but not the luck part!:D

Loy Hawes
01-06-2006, 9:40 PM
I'd like some buckeye.

John Hart
01-06-2006, 10:40 PM
How does Buckeye turn? ....

I don't know Carole....But...
Earl Eyre did this one... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=27830&highlight=buckeye

I thought it was pretty nice.

As for those of you who have expressed an interest. I'll do my goodest to get it.:)

Travis Stinson
01-06-2006, 10:57 PM
Kindly put me down for some Buckeye too!:D

Ernie Nyvall
01-06-2006, 11:22 PM
How does Buckeye turn?

Round and round?:p

John Hart
01-07-2006, 2:10 PM
Howdy!
Well, it was a good day huntin'....Although a tad snowy. The prey was easy to kill cuz it just laid there. In fact, I think it wanted to go home with me. I was able to fit about 300-400 pounds of wood in the car and these blanks are all fairly large. A lot of the cutting I did was to preserve the natural edge. The Buckeye is multi-colored, going from brownish red to fusia to blonde. Seemed odd to me but the guy that takes care of the place said that it was Buckeye, so who am I to argue? Also, got a great score on some Beech. It's a 2 foot diameter log about 15 feet long. The outer 4 inches of this log is beautifully spalted then going to an awesome color toward the core. Got some burls too.

When I talked to the guy, he gave me permission come back anytime and take as much as I want. It's a gold mine folks.

So...if you want any of this, please speak up. Or if you want to order a custom piece, let me know and I'll cut you one tomorrow. All I ask is that you cover the shipping costs. I got my Fedex account and they'll pick-up at the house now so it's really no trouble.

I'm gonna get that whole beech tree before someone burns it in their fireplace.

I'm posting some pics right now of my trip and I'll do close-up pics after I get everything in the house. Back to work I go!!

John Hart
01-07-2006, 2:12 PM
Here's some more pics

Jason Christenson
01-07-2006, 2:14 PM
So that's where all of our snow is.

Curt Fuller
01-07-2006, 2:26 PM
Now when my wife says "Lets go shopping", that's what comes to my mind. Of course we all know what she's thinking of.

Mike Ramsey
01-07-2006, 3:53 PM
John, I would like a nice bowl size chunk of the buckeye :) .
If you can spare some...
TY
Mike

John Hart
01-07-2006, 8:01 PM
John, I would like a nice bowl size chunk of the buckeye :) .
If you can spare some...
TY
Mike

I can spare 20 Mike! At least today. Tomorrow may bring more!

Ok y'all, If you're interested, I posted the full line of blanks that are available for your choosing in the Handykraft Forum. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=274142&posted=1#post274142

I hope this makes it easier. Happy hunting! :)

John Hart
01-07-2006, 8:45 PM
Oh...I almost forgot. I did a quickie bowl out of the buckeye today to see how it turns. It's a lot like Cherry. Long ribbons come off the tool and it has a nice smell. Kinda reminded me of Avacados. I liked it. This bowl has no finish on it and still has some fuzzies that need to be knocked down. It was wet. (it's still on the faceplate)

Jim Dunn
01-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Ok you convinced, me add some beech to my order. If I owe you more than I've sent let me know. I'm sure your wife could use the money to get the car cleaned up.

Jim

John Hart
01-08-2006, 9:04 AM
Ok you convinced, me add some beech to my order. If I owe you more than I've sent let me know. I'm sure your wife could use the money to get the car cleaned up.

Jim

Oh man...you oughta see the car! Maybe I should just cut the top off and turn it into a pick-up truck!!:D

Chris Barton
01-08-2006, 11:26 AM
John,

You did much better than me. I spent 2 hours dodging track drills and dynamite only to harvest about 200lbs of the illusive eastern TN turdwood tree (AKA cottonwood) thinking it was cherry. What a dumbass...

John Hart
01-08-2006, 2:30 PM
Sorry to hear that Chris.:( I had another decent trip today. Spent most of the time harvesting Beech but got some more Buckeye as well. Next trip won't be for a while. I feel mighty worn out today. Andy asked for a 200 pound Beech blank and I think it tried to kill me. I was able to roll it to the car but was it was too heavy to get it in the car. Luckily, some guys showed up to do some work and one of them helped me pick it up. Andy's gonna need a crane to put it on the lathe. :rolleyes:

Andy Hoyt
01-08-2006, 2:43 PM
....Andy asked for a 200 pound Beech blank and I think it tried to kill me. I was able to roll it to the car but was it was too heavy to get it in the car. Luckily, some guys showed up to do some work and one of them helped me pick it up. Andy's gonna need a crane to put it on the lathe. :rolleyes:

Coooool!

It'll look just peachy setting next to that burl from Vancouver. I wish:mad: