PDA

View Full Version : Floor-level air filtering?

T.J. Mahaffey
01-06-2006, 2:04 PM
I'm planning a shopmade air filter using an HVAC fan/blower and I have a question.

I currently need a cart to set my lunchbox planer on and roll around. So, I thought I would build the air filter into the cart, much like one I saw posted somewhere in the web last year. (Space is tight in my small 17x17' shop.) The bottom half would be a box with two filter sides and containing the blower fan. The top would hold my planer.

MY QUESTION: Is there any big reason I shouldn't go this route? Would a filter be rendered too ineffective riding near the floor?

Tyler Howell
01-06-2006, 2:13 PM
TJ I'm sure it will work, I run a 2o" window fan with a filter on the input just to move the damp air and catch anything in the area but the fine dangerous stuff is air born up high where the mouth and nose are:( .

T.J. Mahaffey
01-06-2006, 2:46 PM
TJ I'm sure it will work, I run a 2o" window fan with a filter on the input just to move the damp air and catch anything in the area but the fine dangerous stuff is air born up high where the mouth and nose are:( .

So, you're suggesting it wouldn't be terribly effective near the floor since the bad stuff is up high. Correct?

Don Baer
01-06-2006, 3:56 PM
So, you're suggesting it wouldn't be terribly effective near the floor since the bad stuff is up high. Correct?

TJ
It might do more harm then good. It would stire up any fine stuff that on the floor.

Michael Ballent
01-06-2006, 3:59 PM

It all about moving the air around so that the filter can pick up what is in the air. If it is higher then the are will be moving around with out things getting in the way of the air flow. One the floor you may be in the way, tablesaw, workbench etc will prevent the air from cycling back so the filter will pick up more. That is why manufacturers suggest that you place yourself on the outgoing stream of clean air and then as the air and dust moves around the filter picks it up and then the cycle continues....

But as always try to get that dust from the source and out if the way ASAP. If it's in the air you can breath, if you can get it from the machine an into a container before it can pass by your nose/mouth you are much better off. :D

Be Safe!

T.J. Mahaffey
01-06-2006, 4:12 PM
Thanks for your input, gentlemen.
I'll can the rolling-cart-air-filter idea and see if I can make some space on the ceiling for a dedicated (but shop-built) unit.

Tyler Howell
01-06-2006, 5:03 PM

Ya, you've got it. It will filter the air eventually after your lungs got first dibbs.
As Mike says "grab the bad guys at the source". Do you have a DC?? Should be on the short list of new toyls.
Do you have the fixings for an air filter already?? Maybe it can be suspended up high. $.02

T.J. Mahaffey
01-06-2006, 5:30 PM
As Mike says "grab the bad guys at the source". Do you have a DC?? Should be on the short list of new toyls.
Do you have the fixings for an air filter already?? Maybe it can be suspended up high. $.02
I don't have a DC, yet, but I'm planning to go with the Harbor Freight 2HP DC which I've heard lots of good things about. My DC needs are modest with a 17x17' shop. With the amount of dust I generate, I can't justify anything over $200 or so. (Plus piping)

I do have the makings of a filter already. My father-in-law has an HVAC business, so I snagged a perfectly good blower for free just last week. I thought I would just build a 3/4" plywood box, mount the blower inside, and put a filter on each open end.

Jack Wood
01-06-2006, 5:33 PM
I use both a DC and Filtration in my shop T.J. I have a large floor filter and a smaller one suspended from the ceiling in the opposite corner. This subject is wide open as to opinions but for my 2 cents capture as much at the source and then get the rest with the filters. When I can look at my filters and see the dust they have trapped I know that it is working. I know that it is the stuff you can't see that will get you but at least my shop stays cleaner than before I used them. In addition whenever I am working in the shop and making dust I wear a good quality face mask too. So you need a comprehensive program, just to be on the safe side. My floor blower by the way is a whole house 220v squirrel cage, it moves a lot of air no matter what's in the way:D in addition it doubles as a downdraft sanding table. Hope one more opinion doesn't muddy the waters for ya! (PS I use 3 regular furnace filters as prefilters and a filtrete final) (PSS I bought the harbor freight 2hp for $139 a while back and it is a good unit.)

J.R. Rutter
01-06-2006, 7:25 PM
What sort of bags are on that HF dust collector?

When I first started, I had a 2 HP DC with cheap bags that let a lot of fine dust out. The shop was a real mess all the time because of it. I now use Oneida filters and no dust mask.

See if the extra cost of 1 or 2 micron filter bags bumps the HF cost to where a Woodtek or similar unit that comes with better bags would be a better choice.

Jack Wood
01-06-2006, 11:25 PM
I ditched the stock bags immediately and went with heavy burnt felt bags(1-2micron) that I paid 30 bucks for. But now I have gone one better and have the collector and motor on the outside of my shop so no dust at all is vented back.(the noise is gone also:) ) As to the mask, well no DC is perfect and you are still going to have fines floating around that will get into your lungs unless you use a mask of some sort. Everyone has to judge for them selves what level of risk they are willing to take. My Grand father was the wood Shop Foreman at Pullman Standard(rail cars) for forty years and an enthusiastic home wood worker. I can't ever remember him wearing a mask or even being concerned about it and he lived to 84, with no lung problems. But for my self I know that when I don't take precautions my sinuses go ape on me. :(