PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Holes and Glue?

Jerry Bittner
01-06-2006, 1:47 PM
Working on assembling a cabinet and the case is plywood construction. The sides, top, bottom, shelving and dividers are assembled via pocket holes screws The plans specifically state not to use glue on the assembly of the sides to the shelves but are silent on whether the drawer dividers are glued as well as held in place by the pocket screws.

Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see anything wrong with glueing the dividers also. But perhaps that's overkill -- glue + pocket holes.

What's the prevailing practice among you advanced woodworkers?

Christopher Pine
01-06-2006, 2:07 PM
With plywood I can't see why either... Unless they are worried about a crossgrain situation... (Expansiona and contraction)

Chris

Frank Pellow
01-06-2006, 2:11 PM
Unless I know that I am going to take something apart later on, I always use glue in my pocket hole joints . Danny Proulx in his Pocket Hole Furniture book says that same thing.

Chris Dodge
01-06-2006, 6:22 PM
I'm with Frank on this one. I use glue where I know there will be no need to take it apart again but do not use glue where there may be a need.

A case in point is the cherry bathroom cabinets I built last week. I put a dividing wall between the main cavity (where the sink sits) and the side cavity (where three drawers sit). I did not glue up this interior wall knowing that it would have to come out again when the drawer guides were installed by the customer.

Joe Unni
01-06-2006, 7:41 PM
For this...glue!