PDA

View Full Version : What are your other hobbies besides Woodworking?

Jim Fox
02-12-2021, 11:08 AM
Responding to another post got me thinking what other hobbies do you partake in? The one specific that made peaked my curiosity as if to others did it..........Scale Model Building

Now I did take a long hiatus from this hobby, but got back into in 2019 heavy and built a lot as a kid, teen and young adult. But scale plastic models. Anyone else build these? I specifically do WWII Aircraft. Airbrush paint jobs, fine details, etc.

Also am big into Photography, shot lots of Middle/High School Sports when my kids were of that age. Lots of landscape, etc. Gotten really lazy over the past few years about shooting. Youtube content creators have all ruined that for me with their beautiful locations. Most the time Michigan (except fall and early spring with leaves are popping) is just boring so I tend to be lazy and not go out.

3 years ago the Kayaking bug bit when some friends invited me to go down the river with them. Not white water......a lazy slow meandering scenic river with lots of trout, salmon and steelhead in the right season. Float all day, drink, eat, drink......did I mention drink. It's a 4 hour round trip just to get to the river, but we stay at their cabin. 2019 we went 8 times and in 2020 I went 13 times in 16 weekends (twice in one weekend). Not sure I can ever top that!

And this year because we are forced to stay home and not go to the office, I upped my bird feeding game. Got stuff I've never seen before. So I guess that's a hobby now.

I tend to swap back and fourth between WW and Model Building by season. Even though my shop has AC (basement advantage) I tend not to build in the warmer months. I hate heat and some switch in my brain goes off and I don't work in the shop as much.

What do you all do for fun besides WW?

Lisa Starr
02-12-2021, 11:29 AM
My other "big" hobby is perennial gardening. Every year I design and install another small garden. I find that once you win the initial weed battle, caring for the established beds is very easy and takes minimal time each week. Of course, I have drip irrigation installed in all my beds, so no watering chores and only the plants get water, not the surrounding areas.

I also enjoy kayaking, hiking and antique shopping.

Rod Sheridan
02-12-2021, 11:47 AM
Like Lisa, I love gardening, and in the winter, enjoy the birds that visit.

We have many cardinals which are striking against the snow, Ckickadees, Nuthatches, and Junko’s.

We have 2 seed feeders, a suet feeder and a heated birdbath. We have several woodpeckers who hang upside down to eat, and completely ignore the dog.

I also motorcycle, this is my 47th consecutive year of riding, I have the following bikes

- 1930 James, 500cc single with hand shift and acetylene lighting

- 1975 Norton Commando, original owner

- 1976 R90/6 BMW, 5000:000 Km

- 2013 BMW F700GS

Regards, Rod

Bill Carey
02-12-2021, 12:10 PM
I used to fly fish a lot and cover local news and sports as a freelance photographer, but have pretty much given them up to focus on the woodworking. I'm sometimes in the shop till 10 or 11 at night. The only other hobby I still pursue is shooting pool and collecting pool cues. Other than that I'm pretty boring.......

Stephen L King
02-12-2021, 12:11 PM
I enjoy fishing and hunting with the grandkids. I used to be the 4H shooting sports instructor for our county, so when the grandkids are around and the weather is nice we usually end up with the guns or bows out for a little range time. Before I retired I was a certified law enforcement firearms instructor and range master. So I do a lot of shooting when I can find and afford the ammo. I build and repair fishing rods mostly for the kids and grandkids. My shop is multi purpose I have my fishing stuff in one corner, my sharpening shop in another, and my woodworking equipment in the other half. My kids are all scared that I will kick the bucket and they will have to help their mom clean out the shop.

Mike Henderson
02-12-2021, 12:12 PM
I do beekeeping - four hives in my backyard. Also play pickleball.

Mike

Jon Grider
02-12-2021, 12:19 PM
I like film photography. Mostly B&W street photography and some landscapes too when I'm doing my other interest, backpacking and hiking. Love reading as well.

roger wiegand
02-12-2021, 12:37 PM
Collecting, restoring, and exhibiting antique mechanical musical instruments:

(I have phonographs, juke boxes, player pianos, barrel, roll, and book operated organs, a violin playing machine, and more)

Worldwide travel -- cancelled a month in Australia and a month in Europe last year :-( (but that left lots more shop time) I try to do serious photography when I travel.

Fly fishing, both saltwater and for trout. Have gotten out pitifully few times this year. I do better when I travel to a destination for the sole purpose of fishing. Any given day at home the to do list is too long.

Model rocketry is on hiatus for the moment, I just don't have time. Playing tuba in the community band is also on hiatus.

House rebuilding (between projects for now, thankfully-- next one will probably be when/if my daughter decides to settle down)

DW is a master gardener. My hobby in that regard is to dig holes and say "yes dear" each time some enormous plant needs to be moved. I also battle the bittersweet as we try to rehabilitate our meadow as wildlife habitat. The orchard is my purview, as is nesting box maintenance, and keeping the feeders filled.

I keep trying to focus so that I can actually get something done. The urge to add new hobbies is overwhelming. I'm always trying to do/learn too many things at once in my woodworking.

Tom M King
02-12-2021, 12:46 PM
Woodworking is not a hobby for me. Main hobbies are sailboat racing, and horses. But with those two things as hobbies, my main "hobby" is maintaining the horse farm on a nice lake. Trails do cross duty for dirt bikes.

Jeff Monson
02-12-2021, 12:52 PM
Restoring old motorcycles is my other main hobby, getting near the end on this 37 WL 451944

ChrisA Edwards
02-12-2021, 12:53 PM
I've had a go at a few things, Wind Surfing, Scuba Diving, Hang Gliding, Moto Crossing, Dirt Biking and street and track riding motorcycles.

The last two, street and track riding motorcycles, has been my main hobby for the last 20+ years.

Just a little taste of some of my fun, recorded a few years ago at the Circuit of the America's (COTA).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEXPZiXD3hY

Played a few racket sports, Tennis, Badminton, Squash and Raquetball.

Also, being of English origin, was a big soccer (come on it's Football) player and still a fan.

Bruce King
02-12-2021, 1:05 PM
I like repairing electronics but in recent years there is less that needs repair. Bicycling turned into ebiking which is actually more exercise because we do it more often and longer distances. Boating got too hard here with the wind so we sold it. Scuba diving and private pilot are items from the past. Home improvement is a common activity and bird watching. Some photography. Used to have three BMW’s that I did all the repairs and maintenance on but sold them and now just a 2003 truck and 2019 X5 that doesn’t need much work. Before covid we took our ebikes every month to islands or mountains to ride. Also like to try new restaurants but not going to pay $60 for takeout so now we get takeout from regular restaurants and park somewhere scenic to eat. I did an electronics invention years ago that is now saving the airlines around the world a massive amount of energy. I’m feeling the need to do some more electronic design but cutting wood is more fun. I didn’t get rich off the patent because after selling to a few companies it was stolen by probably all others and even the US govt pilot training facilities. If anyone wants to patent something contact me first.

Michael Weber
02-12-2021, 1:35 PM
I used to do beekeeping but stopped after several years. Amazing creatures. I also used to make neon as a hobby. Self taught, I scrounged or built a lot of the needed equipment but bought various burners and the big bombarding transformer and choke. Installed in half a two car garage. The garage door had orange tinted glass windows and my daughter said coming home at night with the burners going it looked like the garage from hell. It was a potentially dangerous and even deadly hobby. 15 thousand volts, huge electromagnetic fields and working with Mercury vapor. What could go wrong! Like everything else I’ve been involved with I got tired of it once I learned the process. Currently have a sidecar rig and the last two years we have taken multi week trips staying on two lanes almost exclusively and to heck with fall rain, snow and cold. Wife’s a trooper and has an electric blanket if needed. Last years trip from Arkansas through Dakotas to Oregon. Wife in the snow in Yellowstone. They closed the park the next day due to ice.

Steve Demuth
02-12-2021, 2:51 PM
I'm impressed with all the other things folks here find time to do. I'm a homebody with, at least until I retire later this year, 50+ hrs/week job. By the time I manage that, and all the work associated with our little farm and its animals, woodcutting, gardening (mostly for food), orchard management, and general upkeep, finding time for more than woodworking as a pastime seems impossible. But I've got a list of things to get to when I do retire. Two at the top of the list are to get back to some plant breeding experiments I abandoned for lack of time 25 years ago, and building some robotic/AI driven mechanisms useful around the farm.

And maybe, if the God's smile on me, someday, some grandkids ... although we're pretty close to running out of runway on that one.

Lee Schierer
02-12-2021, 2:58 PM
I have quite a few activities that keep me going seasonally. In the summer, we go camping, hiking, fishing, boating and traveling. We do day trips in our 1996 Miata with just the two of us or our local Miata club. In the fall hunting season takes priority, I help with two youth pheasant hunts every year and then take my dog out with friends to chase the birds. Then deer hunting comes in. I do home repairs and remodeling for my house and for our two children as needed. I do some woodworking still, though most of the furniture making is behind me until the grand kids start wanting some. I like to walk and ride my road bike in the spring and summer. I did beekeeping for over 30 years, but sold all my equipment last year. I like capturing special moments and wild life with my camera as well as documenting our trips. We go on cruises when we can. I also used to fly radio controlled airplanes but that has become more difficult in recent years due to increased numbers of houses. We used to grow 90% of our vegetables when the kids were at home, but we've found that trips and gardening don't mix as the weeds win. We make home made sauerkraut every couple of years for the family. We feed the birds in the winter and the occasional bear in the spring if we leave our feeders out too long. I also help Habit build houses when the covid doesn't shut us down. We barbque and picnic even in the winter. I cross country ski when the snow allows.

Jim Allen
02-12-2021, 3:04 PM
My other hobby used to be golfing, until we moved to the coast in Oregon, I hate golfing in the rain. Before that, when I was a lot younger I used to dirt bike in the desserts of So. Cal. My WWing has slowed down, 2 or 3 hours on the days I choose to do it.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2021, 3:27 PM
Since I broke my back in 2001, my hobbies have changed a lot! 9 years later when the Meniere's disease set in leaving me deaf and with poor balance it changed my hobbies even more.

Before breaking my back I was a serious elk hunter which amounts to a lot of up/down hiking in central Idaho's dense brushy mountains with 5 other guys. We drove into camp atop the mountain (the elk were in the bottom 2,000' in elevation below), used horses and mules for packing and hunted on foot.

For about 10 years my wife and I down hill skied seriously. Frankly it became all encompassing forcing me to do all the scheduled maintenance in the hospitals before Friday night so I could tune and wax skis and then ski Saturday and Sunday. After I broke my back we gave it up. No, I broke my back jumping the fence into my backyard.

Raised in CO, WY, UT and southern IL, I have hunted and fished starting at age 9 with my father. My balance issues have presented some problems so my hunting days are over and what little time I fish today, it is with my youngest grandkids in some pretty timid lakes.

We love to travel. Have been blessed to travel internationally a limited amount. I love to photograph our travels so I carry a DSLR camera with multiple lens.

Most recently we have been hosting our 3 youngest grandkids for summers here in Idaho so we have scheduled tours of some of the national parks with them. 2 years ago it was Yellowstone. Last year it was Moab for Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. We have another trip planned with them this summer. Family responsibilities keep up busy too as we have 3 kids spread from WA, AZ to CA, grandkids from as far east as IN, KS to AZ, CA, to WA and great-grandkids in the previously listed areas.

John K Jordan
02-12-2021, 5:12 PM
What defines a hobby, something you do regularly. But is it every day, every week, every month, every few months?
I bounce between hobby interests - maybe focus on one for weeks or months then change for a while, some are seasonal, I enjoy some almost every day

Besides woodworking (mostly woodturning, some carving), I enjoy, in no particular order:
Metalworking, both welding/fab and machining.
Beekeeping
Incubating and raising Peafowl and guinea fowl (sell a few but it's still a hobby)
Sawmilling for fun and farm
4-wheeling and e-biking on my trails
Moving dirt and clearing brush (fun and satisfying - with tractor, bobcat, and excavator)
Toolmaking
Helping anyone who needs help or wants to learn something (my wife says I'll drop everything for this)
Gardening - 50x150 plot plus orchard, blueberries, more
Piano playing, mostly improv (plus guitar, a little harmonica, trumpet, learning violin)
Drawing (pencil, pen&ink)
Electronics design and repair
3D modeling and printing
Target and varmint shooting
Collecting guns
Surf fishing on the Outer Banks
Teaching woodturning and other things (never for pay, so must be a hobby)
Teaching kindergartner SS
Photography of everything (75,000+ photos on my drives)
Videography and editing
Photo/Video from drones
Astronomy, especially photographing comets
Exercising and riding horses
Herding llamas
Slow, easy kayaking on local rivers
Hiking in the mountains
Reading - howto, science, and SciFi
Traveling (mostly around Europe - but not this past year!!)
Answering questions on forums

Retired hobbies:
Whitewater kayaking, the wilder the better
Writing poetry
Dirt bike racing
Scuba and cave diving
Underwater photography
Darkroom photography (obviously)
Flying private aircraft

JKJ

Ken Fitzgerald
02-12-2021, 5:46 PM
John,

They do a bit of whitewater kayaking in our neck of the woods.

Myk Rian
02-12-2021, 7:25 PM
I've acquired a number of telescopes in size from 70mm-90mm refractors, a few Meade ETX models, and several Dobsonian reflectors in sizes from a 4.25" mirror, to my Bertha Butt a 1994 Coulter 13.1" Dob.

Another hobby is the motorized bicycles I built. $200 for a motor kit, and slap it on the bike, with a decent amount of mechanical knowledge.
This is my cruiser. I put a BBR 80ccc motor on a 26" Giant Suede forward-pedal frame. Smooth riding bike.

This is the HotRod bike. An 80cc Ridgeview on a 26" aluminum frame IronHorse. It'll get up and go. Lots of fun.

And last Nov. I bought an Ender 3 Pro 3D printer. Having a lot of fun with it.

Larry Frank
02-12-2021, 7:58 PM
My hobbies have changed since I have some serious back problems. I still enjoy woodworking but smaller projects.

I am currently scanning an extensive library of slides and prints so I can leave my kids an organized history of the family.

I got a cheap 3d printer and learning to use it and model things.

Ron Citerone
02-12-2021, 8:16 PM
Geez, and I thought WW, cooking and fishing were the only hobbies!

Jim Becker
02-12-2021, 8:19 PM
Cooking is about the most serious "other hobby", albeit it's kinda my household job. I also dabble in photography a little and am an avid fiction reader, fully getting the value from a Kindle Unlimited subscription. :)

Bill Dufour
02-12-2021, 9:27 PM
Reading internet forums about wood working?

Doug Dawson
02-12-2021, 9:29 PM
What do you all do for fun besides WW?
Gardening, restoring vintage sports cars, mathematics, and research cosmology. Although my wife would tell you it’s mainly real estate and home renovation. :^)

John Terefenko
02-12-2021, 9:47 PM
My hobbies today revolve around woodworking. I love scrollsawing and have been doing it for over 35 years. I expanded that into turning and mainly doing pens, and other small items like ornaments and things of this nature. The next hobby I am wanting to do is model railroad and train made from wood. Thus my attempts to buy Byrnes mini tablesaw and mini thickness drum sander. I have set up a rolling work bench equiped with the tools and a Festool shop vac so that I can do just about anywhere I want. Hopefully by end of the year I will start that up. I still have some interior house work to get done this year so that will take up my summer.

Pete Costa
02-12-2021, 9:47 PM
Collecting woodworking tools I "really need" even if I have no idea when I'll actually use them to build something.

John K Jordan
02-12-2021, 9:49 PM
Cooking is about the most serious "other hobby", albeit it's kinda my household job. I also dabble in photography a little and am an avid fiction reader, fully getting the value from a Kindle Unlimited subscription. :)

I dabble in cooking but it's not even a casual hobby let alone a serious one. The live-in world internationally known chef has things well under control! On one of those rare times I'm actually in the house she occasionally lets me peel or zest or chop or stir but usually it's "don't you have something important to do ouside?" :)

Her other main activity in life is reading. A few years ago she started keeping a diary of every book she read over the year along with impressions, comments, rating.

JKJ

Bruce Wrenn
02-12-2021, 9:52 PM
Used to do beekeeping. When I got to fifty hives, I knew it wasn't a hobby any more. Since retiring, home repair, and cooking are my main hobbies. I enjoy cooking for others, but since Covid, that has been curtailed. Work with a ministry at state fair, which ministers to the fair workers. Even though fair is only two weeks, it takes us a couple months to set up, break down, and store items. We don't do the actual ministry. Instead we furnish ground support. Day before fair opens, friend and I furnish and cook a BBQ for 400 (no cost to workers who attend.) Just giving back some of what has been given to us. We furnish laundry, ice maker, fridge, and water heater, including buildings to house them, along with decking, sinks, tents, stoves, and anything else that's needed. Some how, if it's needed, God shows me where it's available. Do a meals and birthday ministry with several widows in our SS Class. Also do gardening, including rooting Azealas and other shrubs. Seems I'm always helping neighbors. So much so that one referred to me as "the mayor." Another calls me "Dr Bruce." If it's broke, most likely I can fix it. Do repairs for small church next door.

Mel Fulks
02-12-2021, 10:57 PM
For years I couldn’t stand anything about gardening. Then I heard Andre Viette on the radio . He preached beauty ...not digging. I’m mainly
interested in trees . My four favorites are Japanese Umbrella Pine , European Weeping Beech, Stewartia pseudo-camellia ,and Blue Atlas Cedar.
Interested in sundials and noon marks. I’ve written a paper about a noon mark- monument. Interesting how something that was known to
all eventually turned into just being a monument. I’m bringing back the news that ...it still works! Paper just needs a bit of info from the
designer’s drawings and notes; but the college that owns them won’t let me in until the plague cools down.

Charlie Velasquez
02-13-2021, 12:52 AM
Bridge, bicycling, tennis, umpiring, and volunteer as a tutor for at risk students.
Haven’t been able to do anything since I relocated in 2018 though.
Twelve hours after I arrived in our new location in Des Moines, we got 10” of rain in four hours. Our basement, in a neighborhood the realtor said has never had a water problem, flooded and our insurance maxed out at $10,000 on a $30, 000 estimate. Spent the next months doing the restoration work myself to stretch that money.
The next year was building a shop and just trying to get the house the way we wanted. Then covid.

Get my 2nd vaccination in two weeks, then maybe will be able to start again.

Scott Winners
02-13-2021, 4:33 AM
For not having any formal training I am a pretty good cook. I am the crew chief of my church's youth BBQ team. We just got our spring picnic scheduled (May 23, 2021 if you are in town) this week. If you don't mind us telling you about how much Jesus loves you come on over, we are doing brisket, pulled pork, hamburgers and Cubanos, and if you know to ask one of the pit crew there will be some really good sausages on one of the smokers. I cook as much meat as possible outdoors because keeping the house clean is easier, moving away from charcoal towards live coals, moving towards becoming an asador.

Once the arthritis got really bad I cut my hobbies down to two. Woodworking and cooking.

Retired hobbies are scuba diving (about 500 dives, mostly NC shipwrecks), fast motor vehicles (no more new stories), modifying cars and learning to play oddball musical instruments like bagpipe and ukulele.

Jim Becker
02-13-2021, 10:12 AM
I dabble in cooking but it's not even a casual hobby let alone a serious one. The live-in world internationally known chef has things well under control! On one of those rare times I'm actually in the house she occasionally lets me peel or zest or chop or stir but usually it's "don't you have something important to do ouside?" :)

Her other main activity in life is reading. A few years ago she started keeping a diary of every book she read over the year along with impressions, comments, rating.

JKJ

Professor Dr. SWMBO hasn't taken any joy in cooking for quite a few years now for some reason. She bakes occasionally, but prefers our current arrangement of me cooking M-Th + S, local takeout on Friday nights and her cooking on Sunday night. I used to watch a lot of shows like Chopped! and Masterchef (only watch the latter these days) and it made me really think about the possibilities of "you have x ingredients...now what can you make with them?" Some of that is an actual chemistry lesson. :) At any rate, it's my job and I take it seriously. We do eat well here it seems. Just ask the scale. ;)

----

Scott, formal training in cooking can bring a deeper understanding, but it's certainly not a requirement to make really good food! Some of it's practice that includes, um...failing. :D At any rate, I recently read an incredible book Professor Dr. SWMBO gave me that I highly recommend...

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good CookingBook by Samin Nosrat

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HMXV0UQ/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Aaron Rosenthal
02-13-2021, 1:10 PM
When I read about what so many of you have endured and triumphed over in your lives I’m really humbled.
I dabble in woodworking as a hobby; don’t consider motorcycle riding as a hobby (even though I ride every chance I can, summer or winter) because I hate the discipline of riding in a group; and, I’ve started container gardening.
I’m sure it’s not a hobby, but we’re foster parents, and I also chair the maintenance group at my house of worship.

Bernie Kopfer
02-13-2021, 1:43 PM
I really enjoy mountain biking. And with a good ebike it has become even more fun. Except for the part where the bike stops and I don’t.

Kev Williams
02-13-2021, 2:22 PM
Recreation via things with internal combustion engines for as long as I can remember :) -Boating & RV'ing in particular, and whenever possible.
Not all, but many of the recreational toys I/we've owned over the years:
We still own the Sea Ray, the Party Cruiser, the SkipperLiner, the Regal, the Allegro Bus, the 2 motorcycles and the 2 Mustang GT convertibles.

I'm one of those who is NOT taking the move to all-electric well... ;)

John K Jordan
02-13-2021, 5:21 PM
I really enjoy mountain biking. And with a good ebike it has become even more fun. Except for the part where the bike stops and I don’t.

Yikes! A good friend of mine did that a few months ago. He was e-biking on a great trail that he had run many, many times, even as late as the day before. He went over a rise to find a small tree had fallen across the trail sometime in the last 24 hours. Fortunately someone came along soon and called for help - he had been knocked out cold from the impact. :(

I did that on a dirt bike (Hodaka wombat) once, following three other guys on a powerline trail in Rhode Island unfamiliar to me. What I didn't know was just over one jump the trail turned sharply to the right. I saw it too late, had to continue mostly straight on a mostly flat spot through some waist-high grass. The left fork hit a tall rock hidden in the grass which stopped the bike in a pile but sent me flying. I got to experience a broken collar bone from that adventure!

JKJ

Thomas Wilson
02-13-2021, 9:14 PM
I have one different from anyone else so far. I do structural modeling of bicycle wheels for automated truing. I get to talk to the people who build the machines that build a billion wheels a year. I get to solve their math problems. Been doing people’s math homework for fifty years. Would you like to know the optimum tension settings for your spokes? I have the answer. I also build my own wheels.

Harold Patterson
02-13-2021, 11:06 PM
Fly fishing, fly tying and photography.

Peter Kelly
02-14-2021, 11:44 PM
Scott, formal training in cooking can bring a deeper understanding, but it's certainly not a requirement to make really good food! Some of it's practice that includes, um...failing. :D At any rate, I recently read an incredible book Professor Dr. SWMBO gave me that I highly recommend...Failures should be expected with cooking anything new or unfamiliar as I find that I need to make the same thing over and over until I get it nailed down. They say the difference between a cook and a chef is whether you need to follow a recipe or not.

Other than cooking, my three Yorkies take up most of my non-working, non-woodworking time.

Jim Koepke
02-15-2021, 1:56 AM
One of my hobbies is gardening with an emphasis on culinary and healing herbs. Home grown food is almost always better than what can be found in the stores. Same with culinary herbs. Plus many herbs are not available in stores. The main local grocer doesn't carry summer savory. When it can be found locally it is about $5 for a bottle.

Photography is also a hobby that hasn't been done as much as years ago. All my darkroom equipment is gone. Digital photography is enjoyable, but film has so much more depth. Not sure where to buy film these days.

Coin collecting was another hobby that is still in the back of my mind. It is one of those hobbies that gets more expensive as you go. It is even more expensive than woodworking. Coins in circulation still get a close inspection out of habit.

Puttering around the shop is another favorite pastime. Often it is just fettling some metal/mechanical thingamabob or another.

Bicycling was my passion 50 years ago.

Walking and sitting in the woods behind my house is an indulgence during good weather. This summer will be busy down there. At least a half a dozen trees came down in storms this year.

In another post the word dilettante was used. That may describe my bird watching. My bird watching isn't so much as to identify the different bird species as much as it is to delight in watching them interacting around the bird feeding area. Some of the species are known. Others are occasionally looked up in my guide book. As often as not the exact names are forgotten in a few weeks.

There is also cooking. The downside of learning to cook well is often when going out to eat, the food is disappointing. Ever try to get decent sunny side up eggs in a restaurant? Very few do it well. If you are on 4th St. in Berkeley, CA and like omelets, stop at Bette's Oceanview Diner. That is also one of the few places that does good sunny side up eggs.

jtk

roger wiegand
02-15-2021, 8:13 AM
One of my hobbies is gardening with an emphasis on culinary and healing herbs. Home grown food is almost always better than what can be found in the stores.

Would that it were true! If we had to rely on what I could grow we would very quickly starve to death. Even the simplest things fail utterly-- over the last decade I've invested a huge number of dollars in soil improvement, irrigation, and fencing and countless hours in trying to grow a decent tomato. I've gotten a grand total of three. The hornworms move in and decimate them overnight, the squirrels attack, and the vines get some sort of nasty virus, curl up and die. I've tried growing potatoes a couple times, the deer jump over the fence and chew them down to a nub; install 8 ft deer fence and the groundhogs crawl over and/or burrow under and chew them down to a nub. There's a big CSA farm right around the corner from us, they've taken to posting guard dogs 24/7 in the fields in addition to their electric fences to try to discourage the deer and other critters. Apparently it's only partially successful. The farmer's newsletter is always lamenting what won't get harvested due to the animals and bugs having eaten it. I'm afraid it's the farmer's market for me for veggies; I've surrendered on home grown.

Dave Seng
02-15-2021, 9:32 AM
I don't really call this one a hobby per se, it's more of a second profession, but it pays the same as a hobby - I'm the Assistant Fire Chief for our rural all-volunteer Fire Department. I started as a firefighter late in life - at age 41. 18 years later, I'm a chief. I've done a lot in this career - structural fire fighting, wildland fire fighting, EMS, High-Angle Rope Rescue, Swiftwater Rescue, Ice Rescue, and served as the Engineer on an engine for many years. I still love to get into the thick of things when a fire is really rolling, but as a chief my role has changed to that of being in charge of the crews doing the "fun" stuff. I get to do a lot of instructing and teaching - and teaching young firefighters is one of the most rewarding parts of my work.

Jay Rasmussen
02-15-2021, 9:48 AM
I enjoy shooting all clay target games but spend most time shooting Trap.
Also like Golf.

Jon Grider
02-15-2021, 10:10 AM
One of my hobbies is gardening with an emphasis on culinary and healing herbs. Home grown food is almost always better than what can be found in the stores. Same with culinary herbs. Plus many herbs are not available in stores. The main local grocer doesn't carry summer savory. When it can be found locally it is about $5 for a bottle.

Photography is also a hobby that hasn't been done as much as years ago. All my darkroom equipment is gone. Digital photography is enjoyable, but film has so much more depth. Not sure where to buy film these days.

Coin collecting was another hobby that is still in the back of my mind. It is one of those hobbies that gets more expensive as you go. It is even more expensive than woodworking. Coins in circulation still get a close inspection out of habit.

Puttering around the shop is another favorite pastime. Often it is just fettling some metal/mechanical thingamabob or another.

Bicycling was my passion 50 years ago.

Walking and sitting in the woods behind my house is an indulgence during good weather. This summer will be busy down there. At least a half a dozen trees came down in storms this year.

In another post the word dilettante was used. That may describe my bird watching. My bird watching isn't so much as to identify the different bird species as much as it is to delight in watching them interacting around the bird feeding area. Some of the species are known. Others are occasionally looked up in my guide book. As often as not the exact names are forgotten in a few weeks.

There is also cooking. The downside of learning to cook well is often when going out to eat, the food is disappointing. Ever try to get decent sunny side up eggs in a restaurant? Very few do it well. If you are on 4th St. in Berkeley, CA and like omelets, stop at Bette's Oceanview Diner. That is also one of the few places that does good sunny side up eggs.

jtk Jim, film photography is making a bit of a comeback. B&H for one still sells color negative and B&W film and developing supplies.

Jim Becker
02-15-2021, 10:10 AM
Failures should be expected with cooking anything new or unfamiliar as I find that I need to make the same thing over and over until I get it nailed down. They say the difference between a cook and a chef is whether you need to follow a recipe or not.

What's a "recipe?" :) :D I certainly wouldn't claim to be a chef, but other than a glance for an idea or to cement a technique, I typically don't use them most of the time. I really do like the "here's what I have now what can I do with it" approach to cooking and have three goals in order of importance:

1) Don't poison my family
2) make it at least taste good and have acceptable texture
3) make it look appealing

Mike Soaper
02-15-2021, 10:20 AM
Would that it were true! If we had to rely on what I could grow we would very quickly starve to death. Even the simplest things fail utterly-- over the last decade I've invested a huge number of dollars in soil improvement, irrigation, and fencing and countless hours in trying to grow a decent tomato. I've gotten a grand total of three. The hornworms move in and decimate them overnight, the squirrels attack, and the vines get some sort of nasty virus, curl up and die. I've tried growing potatoes a couple times, the deer jump over the fence and chew them down to a nub; install 8 ft deer fence and the groundhogs crawl over and/or burrow under and chew them down to a nub. There's a big CSA farm right around the corner from us, they've taken to posting guard dogs 24/7 in the fields in addition to their electric fences to try to discourage the deer and other critters. Apparently it's only partially successful. The farmer's newsletter is always lamenting what won't get harvested due to the animals and bugs having eaten it. I'm afraid it's the farmer's market for me for veggies; I've surrendered on home grown.

Sounds familiar, my daughter gave me the book
The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden

Jim Koepke
02-15-2021, 10:47 AM

The $64 Tomato: How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune, and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden

When living in California most years my tomatoes and zucchini were so plentiful they would be taken to work by the grocery bag full to be given away.

Now in a different climate it is a different story. Fortunately the property came with a greenhouse. The deer haven't figured out how to break in to that yet.

jtk

John K Jordan
02-15-2021, 5:10 PM

Is there one about fishing? I read once how much each fish cost an typical fisherman once you consider license, gear, boat, trailer. Don't even consider the time "invested".

Our gardening over the years has been fairly successful, usually corn, beans, cushaws, summer squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, greens, peppers, okra, carrots. Always have fresh produce in season and put plenty in the freezer for later. My fertilizer-factory (the llamas) help.

I figured out how to keep the deer out.

Jim Koepke
02-15-2021, 11:55 PM
I figured out how to keep the deer out.

Care to share?

We have deer walking through our yard all the time.

jtk

John K Jordan
02-16-2021, 12:43 AM
Care to share?

jtk

There are a LOT of deer in our area - we live with woods all around. A whitetail deer can easily jump a 6 or 8' tall fence. But they don't get into my garden with a 4' fence.

I put a the welded wire fence around my garden plot (50'x150') when I put in the garden about 15 years ago. The fence has a single electrified wire on the top. In the growing season I periodically walk around the garden with a jar of peanut butter and a plastic fork. I put small globs of peanut butter on the wire every 4 to 6 feet. If a deer approaches the garden it will smell and then taste the peanut butter and THAT ONE will never come near the garden again. I do this every year and with the exception of one year when I was too busy (er, negligent and lazy) I never saw evidence of a deer in the garden. Rabbits and raccoons, yes, but no deer.

Deer often jump over the electric fence around the horse pasture to get to the grass inside. I once watched one stretch out its neck and touch the fence with its nose. I wish I had a video of that. The deer jumped up and back and almost flipped over then ran wide open across the pasture. When it got near the fence on the other side it slowed and stopped and turned and ran back across. It repeated the traversal several times. I had to go in then but the last I saw the deer was tiptoeing up and down the fence trying to figure out how to get out!

JKJ

Mel Fulks
02-16-2021, 12:48 AM
Care to share?

jtk. Buy some Bitrex on eBay. It’s the worlds most bitter taste. It has no smell, so you need to mix in something that does.
That will stop the varmits from useing your garden as a salad bar.

Clifford McGuire
02-16-2021, 2:38 PM
Downhill skiing and mountain biking. At least as long as my health lets me.

Perry Hilbert Jr
02-16-2021, 3:00 PM
At one time, I lived and breathed match shooting with muskets.. My eyes started to get bad and then a fire burned everything up. I lost all the target guns and equipment. I took up turning again a year after the fire. I also have a 50 acre farm where I raise cattle, hay and berries. We have black berries, blue berries, wineberries, high bush cranberries, Aronia and Josta berries. We also raise a few Cape Gooseberries every few years.

Bob Andre
02-18-2021, 8:06 PM
What a diverse and talented group we have. .You all have such amazing talent. I thought I'd add my hobbies beside woodworking which does produce a little income and savings since I have built most of our furniture and other items-currently building a 4 panel stave core door for our soon to be new house that needs work.
Hunting, shooting, reloading, fly fishing
Mountain biking, kayaking
Enjoy logging and milling on my band mill
Carriage driving, riding
Had a pack of fox hounds and Hunt recognized by Masters of Fox hounds
Have a small horse farm
Long time National Ski Patroller
How have we found time to do all this?

John K Jordan
02-18-2021, 9:00 PM
Carriage driving, riding

One horse carriage? Do you train?
I have three horses, one blind and the second old. One buckskin is wonderful, eager, sensitive, trained for Reining. A young friend comes and works with him every week.

I have some friends who drive carts with llamas. I'd be interested but I'm not sure I have a suitable llama.
I do have an Amish-made miniature horse cart and all the fixings and would love to train a young miniature donkey gelding who seems to be agreeable, far more than the two female minis I have. Problem is I need a second person with enough spare time.

JKJ

Pat Rice
02-18-2021, 9:36 PM
Photography and woodworking have been my passion for many years. Woodworking took a back seat to photography for many years but that started reversing several years ago. It is hard to pursue both at the same time and work full time. I have done a lot of sports photography freelancing for several newspapers over the years but also enjoy travel and other types of photography.

Bob Andre
02-19-2021, 5:02 PM
John
We, my wife, trained all our own horses over the years, many were bred and foaled here on the farm. For foxhunting, combined training, dresage, and driving.We drive for pleasure and combined driving with several different vehicles, antique and contemporary.

Jim Becker
02-19-2021, 5:35 PM
Good stuff, Bob. That was a lot of hard work, but equines are wonderful, empathetic beasts. I miss our two quite a bit some days, but they are right around the corner and I have visitation rights if I need a "fix"...

Don Orr
02-20-2021, 7:27 PM
Other than woodworking, I enjoy hiking, snowshoeing, XC skiing (was out today and yesterday), canoeing, kayaking-both calm and whitewater (mostly whitewater) and trying to get back into bicycling.

Mike Cutler
02-20-2021, 8:18 PM
This last year and a half has been dedicated to bird dog training.
I have been blessed with one of those once in a lifetime bird dogs, for the second time in my life. He's impressive, so we're going to see what he can really do.
I wish I could say that I was good enough to compliment him, but that would be a lie. We're going to fix that though in the next few months. ;)
For many years I was a very high level bicycle racer, but two knee, and shoulder, surgeries have put those days well behind me. I miss those days. I love working with this current dog though!!

Ed Gibbons
02-21-2021, 11:07 AM

Sailing my Marshall Sanderling Catboat.

John K Jordan
02-21-2021, 1:56 PM
This last year and a half has been dedicated to bird dog training.

Nice!

I had a "hunting" dog once, when I was maybe 14 or 15. I named him Nimrod, the mighty hunter. I'd take him rabbit hunting. I'd see the tracks in the snow and even see the rabbit and the dog couldn't find it. . Wait, was I supposed to train first? :)

We have a young friend who works with our horses, llamas, and other critters, seriously the best with animals I've ever known. She told me today she has been working every Sun afternoon with an organization that trains attack dogs. She wears a padded jacket and the dogs are trained to grab and hold the arm (and release) on command. She said she'd send me a video of her and a dog in action. Evidently the training is a very serious effort.

JKJ

Jack Llewyllson
02-21-2021, 2:51 PM
Was an avid motorcyclist for 40+ years, but "retired" due to substantial injuries incurred on one bad day.

Sometimes (more rarely than previously), I write things. Both of the above pursuits occasionally paid actual money.

My sweetie likes to garden. I support that ambition with trellises, holes, raised beds, fencing, etc. I also sharpen, oil, and generally maintain her "armory." We work on the house, trying to enhance our little nest.

Speaking of armories, I shoot a little. It interests me less than it did, but I get to the range once in a while.

We keep a couple of dogs around. I keep an old Willys Jeep parked out back; getting it going a few times a year may constitute a hobby.

Was weightlifting and playing pickle ball quite regularly, pre-pandemic. Now I have a bench in the corner of the shop.

I fish a little, not avidly but as an excuse to hang out with my oldest buddy (50+ years), and polish up our lies.

Are any of these "hobbies?" I dunno. I think they might just be called "living."

Joe Tilson
02-21-2021, 4:08 PM
I like playing golf all year around. My wife and I like doing Thrift Stores and some antiques. Use to do some shooting until it got to expensive.

John K Jordan
02-21-2021, 5:07 PM
I enjoy fishing and hunting with the grandkids.....

And that in addition to all the books you write. Oh, horrors, my mistake. That's Stephen E King... (I suspect you get that all the time.)

John K Jordan
02-21-2021, 5:19 PM
...Use to do some shooting until it got to expensive.

I wish the guy across the ridge would decide that. He's up for shooting any time of the day or night - shots at 1 or 2am, I know who's shooting.
From the sound, sometimes shotguns, handguns, muzzle-loader, high power rifles. Never a dinky 22. Sometimes it's a fully automatic rifle with a big magazine- bambambambambambam... How does anyone afford that much ammo?

I do a fair amount of shooting but primarily at varmints, coyotes, and to encourage stray dogs to go play in someone elses pastures.

JKJ

Mike Cutler
02-21-2021, 6:01 PM
Nice!

I had a "hunting" dog once, when I was maybe 14 or 15. I named him Nimrod, the mighty hunter. I'd take him rabbit hunting. I'd see the tracks in the snow and even see the rabbit and the dog couldn't find it. . Wait, was I supposed to train first? :)

JKJ

Nimrod. What a great name!
Nope, you never "train a dog to hunt", so no worries there. It was either born to hunt, or it wasn't. You just condition them to include you in the process.;)
This current boy is another Vizsla. He hunts like a machine, but someone forgot to tell him he's supposed to be a "Velcro dog". He's fast! He ran down two flying pheasants this past fall!:eek:

I don't know where you're neighbor is getting all of the ammo to be shooting off. Ammo, of just about any type,and all reloading supplies are getting more and more scarce. Have been for the last year.

John K Jordan
02-21-2021, 10:21 PM
I don't know where you're neighbor is getting all of the ammo to be shooting off. Ammo, of just about any type,and all reloading supplies are getting more and more scarce. Have been for the last year.

Maybe he has a bunker full of ammo and is not smart enough to think about replacing it. This guy has repeatedly demonstrated his position on the steep downhill slope of the lower half of the IQ bell curve. Like the time he shot his neighbor's cow for target practice. Like the time he stole someone's pony for a present for his girlfriend's little girl. Fortunately, although I can hear him shoot, he's a long way over the ridge from us.

When I was a kid we had a cat that was a much better hunter. Going out the front door to catch the school bus I always had to step over something - numerous rabbits and squirrels, the typical mice, moles and chipmonks, I remember a snake, a small possum. One time he brought us a full-sized ringnecked pheasant. Gracious. I'm glad he was friendly to us kids.

Roger Feeley
02-22-2021, 9:21 AM
I guess I'm like my father. I am a collector of skills. I find some skill that looks interesting and try to learn it. Many times, once if figure it out, I move on. I generally keep the tools necessary but not always. My dad was much worse in that the skills he pursued took up space and storage. I try to suppress the pack-rat urge.

Keith Outten
02-22-2021, 11:24 AM
My only recreational hobby is trail riding in the mountains of West Virginia these days. I have been riding for five years, 2021 will by my sixth year.
I was able to re-unite with an old friend that I have known for 50 years when we started riding together in 2016. Occasionally we ride with large groups but the majority of the time its just the two of us. Due to the pandemic I only rode one time last year but I plan to break my record this year making every effort to spend as much time in the mountains as I can.

George Yetka
02-22-2021, 12:07 PM
-Shooting/reloading mostly pistol lately but some long range
-Fountain pens
-photography(wish i had more time for this one)

With kids and work dont really have time for any of them.

Osvaldo Cristo
02-22-2021, 7:51 PM
I really like and practice both, Nature Photography (landscape and wildlife) and reading (I love History and Sci Fiction).

...besides Woodworking, of course!

All the best.

Travis Conner
02-23-2021, 9:44 AM
My buddy had one of those kits. Didn't have much luck with it. Then again he's always messing with things

David Lageman
02-23-2021, 8:59 PM
Oddly the hobby I was heavily involved with until recently, saltwater aquaria, is what brought me back to this hobby. I built the stand for my system and it re-lit the woodworking bug. Ended up building several tank stands for friends. An example of mine right after finishing it and adding water.

Bert Kemp
02-23-2021, 11:13 PM
well laser engraving is my main hobby that incorporates some woodworking. Leather work which I laser engrave . Photography with my drone and flying the drone of course and Motorcycling, also my volunteer work with the PGR.

John K Jordan
02-24-2021, 8:47 AM
well laser engraving is my main hobby that incorporates some woodworking. Leather work which I laser engrave . Photography with my drone and flying the drone of course and Motorcycling, also my volunteer work with the PGR.

What is PGR?

Jon Nuckles
02-24-2021, 10:45 PM
Google's suggestions for PGR are below. Most of the results are for Plant Growth Regulator and its use in growing weed, but I guess we'll have to wait for Bert to tell us what his means. Personally, I'm rooting for Paranormal Ghost Research!

Acronym Definition
PGR Procuraduría General de la República (Mexico)
PGR Project Gotham Racing (game)
PGR Patriot Guard Riders (national motorcycle group based in Centennial, CO)
PGR Procuradoria-Geral da República (Portugal)
PGR Pager
PGR Population Growth Rate
PGR Postgraduate Research
PGR Post Grant Review (USPTO)
PGR Progesterone Receptor
PGR Private Game Reserve (South Africa)
PGR Plant Growth Regulator
PGR Plant Genetic Resources
PGR Presentation Graphics Routines
PGR Post Goods Receipt (shipments)
PGR Post-Glacial Rebound
PGR Per Grazia Ricevuta (Italian band))
PGR Progressive Rail
PGR Pretty Good Records (Christian record label)
PGR Progressive Insurance Company (stock symbol)
PGR Parent Governor Representative (UK education)
PGR Parental Guidance Recommended
PGR Post Game Report (podcast)
PGR Perpetuity Growth Rate
PGR Post Glover Resistors, Inc. (Erlanger, KY)
PGR Paranormal Ghost Research (Indiana)
PGR Pure Gum Rubber
PGR Psychogalvanic Reflex/Response
PGR Pinnacle Global Resources, Inc (San Antonio, TX)

Malcolm Schweizer
02-25-2021, 4:00 AM
I am rebuilding a Harley FLSTC. I have built countless hot rods from VW to V8 and always have some noise making contraption in the works. I am an avid photographer since film days and even dabbled in it professionally. I scuba dive, free dive, sail, surf... anything on the water. Most recently I have rediscovered my art, and am really enjoying it.

453038 453039 453040 453041

David Publicover
02-25-2021, 5:45 AM
Beautiful work Malcolm!
There are some folks here with impressive skills and accomplishments.

I’ve been an avid sailor since I was a kid. Maintaining my 80’s vintage sailboat is was got me into woodworking as I built a couple dinghies and made various “ improvements “ and repairs. I also like to garden, ride my bicycle , cross country ski and collect records and listen to music. I enjoy collecting single malt whisky. I used to study and later teach karate but gave that up after an injury forced the issue.
Although it’s still woodworking, I recently started wood turning and have really enjoyed that as I peer over the edge of what appears to be a pretty deep wormhole. Luckily, my woodworking club has lathes and equipment so I can avoid a big upfront expense.

Michael Weber
02-25-2021, 12:07 PM
He rides motorcycles so PGR is Patriot Guard Riders.

bill godber
02-26-2021, 11:25 PM
I have a smoker and often make bacon,hams,sausages, pastrami and more.I have a dry curing setup and make salamis and dried beef (bresaola). My two Beagles get me out walking 2 or 3 times a day so all in all I keep out of trouble

Scott Linge
03-02-2021, 9:26 AM
Way to go Mike, we need more beekeepers! I raise bumblebees and mason bees in my gardens.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-02-2021, 11:31 AM
Way to go Mike, we need more beekeepers! I raise bumblebees and mason bees in my gardens.

I made some beehives for a customer and he is ordering more. I guess he liked them. It sounds like a fun hobby.

John K Jordan
03-02-2021, 12:18 PM
I made some beehives for a customer and he is ordering more. I guess he liked them. It sounds like a fun hobby.

Hey, I'd buy hives bodies from you! Do you deliver? :)

It's a great hobby and can be very satisfying to the soul. However, it can be a lot of work and heart and pocketbook breaking when you lose a hives. I lost one last year but the remaining three seem to be strong at the moment. They all still have plenty of honey from last year so maybe they'll make it. I got started with beekeeping when we moved to this place in '04 and found there were NO honeybees pollinating our garden.

Besides the initial investment in the hive bodies and the bees, you need protective clothing, some special tools, and a good education on how to inspect and what to do when. For example, colonies must be medicated a couple of times a year to treat for mites and other parasites.

If you do it for the honey, beekeeping can turn in to a job if you're not careful. I mostly just give and sell honey to acquaintances and sometimes accidentally make a thousand or two but some people I know are serious about it and have a LOT of hives. That turns in to a full-time job more than one person, at least for part of the year. One guy I know probably has $20k in extractors, tanks, trailers to move hives, and other equipment.

Done in moderation, it can be a lot of fun. I especially like sharing the fun with others. I keep spare bee suits and (when pandemic free!) have teens and even families "help" which gives them a chance to see the inside of a hive for the first time. Sometimes new beekeepers come to learn things, such as how to extract the honey from the hive I even have bee suits that fit little kids.

453456 453459

JKJ

Jim Becker
03-02-2021, 12:29 PM
Nice job on those hive boxes, Malcomb. Your customer's honey bee colonies will be living in style for sure!

Professor Dr. SWMBO has been a beek for about five years now, although she was less active this past season due to distractions. We are currently trying to determine how much will go with us to the new property, but will be evaluating that more closely as the weather turns nicer and we see how many of our 8 colonies survived the winter.

John K Jordan
03-02-2021, 12:34 PM
Nice job on those hive boxes, Malcomb. Your customer's honey bee colonies will be living in style for sure!

Professor Dr. SWMBO has been a beek for about five years now, although she was less active this past season due to distractions. We are currently trying to determine how much will go with us to the new property, but will be evaluating that more closely as the weather turns nicer and we see how many of our 8 colonies survived the winter.

Hey, if you move and decide to not take them all let me know, I might be interested. It would be a bit of a drive but, hey, I could finally visit! (With appropriate precautions, of course!)

Jim Becker
03-02-2021, 12:35 PM
Hey, if you move and decide to not take them all let me know, I might be interested. It would be a bit of a drive but, hey, I could finally visit! (With appropriate precautions, of course!)

I will let The Professor know...

Aiden Pettengill
03-02-2021, 3:18 PM
Gardening and Grafting.

John K Jordan
03-02-2021, 5:14 PM
Oddly the hobby I was heavily involved with until recently, saltwater aquaria, is what brought me back to this hobby. I built the stand for my system and it re-lit the woodworking bug. Ended up building several tank stands for friends. An example of mine right after finishing it and adding water.

That's not so much a "stand" as an installation! Very nice. Lots of room for storage and such, I suspect.

JKJ

Bert Kemp
03-02-2021, 6:11 PM
What is PGR?

PGR
Patriot Guard Riders, We Stand Flaglines at the Cemetery for the Families We do Funeral escorts for Fallen Veteran's and First Responders. Its all Volunteers and its free of charge.All the families of the Fallen Veteran or first responder has to do is to Contact the PGR in your state and request a Mission. Also in AZ we have HOTH Help on the Home front . Were If theirs a Vet in need of just about anything we can help. We've done home repair, yard work, transportation, all kinds of things for Vets that need help also free of charge.We do all the normal Holiday stuff too. We bring Tree's and Toys to families that have come on hard times, Food were needed. Just so many things.453498453499453500

Dennis Peacock
03-03-2021, 6:40 PM
PGR
Patriot Guard Riders, We Stand Flaglines at the Cemetery for the Families We do Funeral escorts for Fallen Veteran's and First Responders. Its all Volunteers and its free of charge.All the families of the Fallen Veteran or first responder has to do is to Contact the PGR in your state and request a Mission. Also in AZ we have HOTH Help on the Home front . Were If theirs a Vet in need of just about anything we can help. We've done home repair, yard work, transportation, all kinds of things for Vets that need help also free of charge.We do all the normal Holiday stuff too. We bring Tree's and Toys to families that have come on hard times, Food were needed. Just so many things.453498453499453500

Yup, I was going to respond with Patriot Guard Riders. I rode several missions with our local PGR group. It was an honor to serve in this capacity.

Ole Anderson
03-04-2021, 12:40 AM
I snowmobile a bit. A bit of saltwater fishing when we are in FL, in our RV for 3 months a year, we have an older 19' center console there. A pontoon at home gets lots of use in the summer. I enjoy blowing snow and mowing the lawn. The single biggest "hobby" is tinkering around the church, I am the chair of the property committee and also head up our livestreaming tech team, running the video switcher most Sundays I am home, a well as recommending and installing new tech equipment.

Derek Cohen
03-04-2021, 12:21 PM
My day job (clinical psychologist in private practice) takes up a great deal of time, plus I sit on a few professional committees. I would not call it a hobby, but I have a large-ish collection of vintage fountain pens which are fun to use and make note taking less of a drudgery. I’ve always tended to burn the candle at both ends, with much competitive sport in the past: tennis, squash and I windsurfed on the state and national circuit for 20+ years. Now I just run on a treadmill every evening after work. Outside of the physical side of woodworking, I run the occasional workshop and teach/demonstrate at woodshows, and write and maintain a website/blog. I spend 12 years restoring a 1957 Porsche 356. I miss that one. I am something of a Porsche fan, and enjoy touring the local vineyards and countryside top down in my old Boxster S. Travel is my wife’s joy, and we generally spent a few weeks somewhere in the world each year.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ron Kanter
03-07-2021, 5:52 PM

I also motorcycle, this is my 47th consecutive year of riding, I have the following bikes

- 1930 James, 500cc single with hand shift and acetylene lighting

- 1975 Norton Commando, original owner

- 1976 R90/6 BMW, 5000:000 Km

- 2013 BMW F700GS

Regards, Rod

Rod,
I am up to 57 years with a few breaks along the way when I temporarily thought "quitting was a good idea."
Those breaks didn't last long and I am happily rolling along on a 1976 BMW R90/6 like yours.
Funny thing is, I sold a 2013 BMW F700GS to buy the R90. It had too much electronics for this old airhead.
Ron

John E. Hobart
03-07-2021, 9:17 PM
Amateur Radio , licensed since 1977. Also photography, both hobbies that can be more costly than woodworking !