PDA

View Full Version : Red Gum

Paul Douglass
01-06-2006, 11:11 AM
I am a new turner. My wife bought me a blank of red gum wood (that is what was printed on it). I want to turn a small bowl out of it but I figure there must be a few do's and don't's for wood with holes in it. It looks like it would break up if turned. My Raffan "Turning Wood" book doesn't discuss this. Can you turn this tpye od wood?:confused:

Tyler Howell
01-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Welcome Paul,
The place is filling up with spin doctors.:D
Glad to have you and would love to see your work.

Andy Hoyt
01-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Paul - All wood is turnable, but some more so than others. Don't know a thing about red gum; so here's what I suggest. Chuck it up and find out. Then fill the rest of us in. Regardless of the outcome, you will have your first bowl, your first red gum bowl, and so forth. As a result it will become a family treasure - even if it ends up as a pencil holder in the shop.

Experience counts and one can never have enough of it.

Enjoy and welcome to the dark side.

Jeremiah Jordan
01-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Enjoy and welcome to the dark side.

But the light side welcomes you as well, for pen turning.

May the spins be with you.

Jeremiah

Don Baer
01-06-2006, 1:07 PM
Well it could be one of two species.

American red Gum..

American sweet gum trees are important sources of lumber and veneer in the United States but the heartwood and sapwood are marketed separately. Usually the heartwood is sold as red gum while the less commercially valuable sapwood is called sap gum.
Red gum and sap gum are not strong enough for use as a structural timber, according to Donald Culross Peattie in his book A Natural History of Trees of Eastern and Central North America. Instead, red gum and sap gum are popular choices for a variety of uses such as wall paneling, cabinetry and furniture fruit boxes, doors, millwork, ...

Or Australian
The River Red Gum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis) is a tree of the genus Eucalyptus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus), and is found across most of Australia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia) especially beside inland water courses. It usually grows to 20 metres, sometimes up to 45 metres tall; its bark streaked and mottled with red, grey and white. The tree produces welcome shade in the extreme temperatures of central Australia, and plays an important role in stabilising river banks, holding the soil and alleviating flooding.
It only germinates when land is flooded. As a result, its numbers are declining due to increased water management. The largest remaining stand of River Red Gum is in the Barmah state forest in the north of Victoria. Red gum is an excellent firewood and a very striking timber. The Barmah forest is carefully managed to produce both fine timber and firewood.
Red gum is so named for its brilliant red wood, which can range from a light pink through to almost black, depending on the age and weathering. It is somewhat brittle and often has a wiggly grain making hand working difficult. It is quite hard and can take a fine polish and carves well. It is a popular timber for wood turners, particularly if the timber has been used for structural work, or fence posts first.

This is a common tree in California. They were broght here to act as windbreaks for the groves.

Rich Stewart
01-06-2006, 1:25 PM
I'm with Andy. Chuck it up and turn it. Start slow and wear a mask. I found some wood in the landfill and took it home. First piece turned great, had really nice colors. Was soft but sanded well. Next piece I tried from the same batch flew all apart as soon as I touched it. Post a pic when you get done.