PDA

View Full Version : Need alternative for pear wood

Tom Jones III
01-06-2006, 9:49 AM
I need to make a chest to go along with a kitchen table. The table is store bought, I don't know where, and is reported to be pear wood. The chest does not need to look like a twin to the table, but they should look good together. Does anyone have suggestions on a wood that is commonly available that will look similar to this table? Any reasonably priced wood is fine (like mahog. or walnut prices), but I would prefer that it was a wood I could pick up myself at the lumber yard.

Mark Singer
01-06-2006, 9:53 AM
Tom,
Anigre is similar if unfiguered and a great wood to work with

http://www.redbridgemarquetrygroup.org/Anigre%20-%20Aningeria%20Spp.jpg

Jamie Buxton
01-06-2006, 11:46 AM
That doesn't look like pear to me. Pear has finer pores, and being a temperate-zone wood, it has more distinctive growth rings. Your table looks more like a tropical wood. I'd look at mahogany (which is getting very difficult to buy now), or some wood sold as a subsitute for mahogany -- lauan for instance. See what your local yards have.

Cecil Arnold
01-06-2006, 12:02 PM
I agree with Jamie, it looks like mahogany to me with a clear top coat (maybe super blond shellac) to seal, then something to hold down the red.

Greg Scott
01-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Maybe butternut. Grain is very similar to walnut but quite a bit lighter.

Steve Wargo
01-06-2006, 12:58 PM
Looks like Phillipean Mahogany to me. If it's pear you could always go the veneer route. I've got a few flitches of Pear veneer and it's not too expensive.

Clint Malone
01-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Looks like Phillipean Mahogany to me.

I agree. It is probably a "pear stain" or some other marketing gimmick.

Doesn't look anything like the pear that I have seen.