PDA

View Full Version : Project record keeping/documentation

Larry Browning
01-06-2006, 9:46 AM
I am making another piece for the bedroom and SWMBO wants the same hardware I used on the entertainment center. Of course I didn't keep the receipts etc from that project. All I know is that I bought the hardware online at one of those hardware places. I have searched for the place for several hours now and have had no luck.
This got me to thinking that I should really do a better job of documenting and record keeping of the projects I do. So, I thought it would be a good idea to ask you guys that keep detailed records of your projects what kind of information and how you have it organized.
Do you for instance have separate files for each project, or do you have one file for each plan/pattern?
What kind of info do you keep? I am a hobby woodworker, so I probably don't need to keep accounting type records. But I was thinking stuff like where I bought the hardware and other materials along with part numbers etc. would be good.
Do you keep the info in a file cabinet or on the computer?

Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Jones III
01-06-2006, 10:23 AM
I keep a folder on each major project. I drop in any plans I used, receipts, notes, etc. For example the chests of drawers I just made, I used two different sized pulls so I cut out the part number from the package and dropped that into the folder. I also sat down every few days and wrote notes about what went wrong over the last couple days and what to do next time.

Bert Johansen
01-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Larry,
I keep a running log of all projects. I enter plans, photos, notes on finishes, etc. for future reference. When I fill up one log, I start a new one.
I keep a separate file for invoices--mainly for tax purposes. I just toss all the receipts into the file and start a new one each year.
Finally, I keep a boxed set of files in the shop with a separate file for each tool. I keep the instruction manuals in these files.
Bert

Frank Pellow
01-06-2006, 12:40 PM
I have a computer file for each project and in that file keep notes, photos, copies of plans, and a summary of costs.

I also have a "real" file folder where I keep all invoices of material and tools that I have purchased. They are in sequence by date.

Harold Beck
01-06-2006, 1:24 PM
I keep a file in a 3-ring binder for each plan I build, not each individual project. It includes any sketches I made (if I developed it) or where I got the idea from, basic sizes of materials, SOURCES and Model Numbers for Hardware and any other information I pack ratted during the project.

I always include a sheet of paper with notes on what I learned on that project. It makes me think through my mistakes and multiple methods that accomplish the same thing so I can document what worked best. Writing it down helps set it in my mind.

HB

Jerry Bittner
01-06-2006, 1:52 PM
Like the others, I keep the plans but as to cost of materials, I use Quicken to keep track of normal house and living expenditures and find it useful in Quicken to create a seperate cost category for each project I do. That way it's rather simple, if you are used to Quicken, to maintain a historical cost record of each project.

Howard Barlow
01-06-2006, 2:04 PM
It seems like overkill in the beginning, but keep every piece of paper you touch. Well, not THAT paper.:eek:

LOML worked with a woman who could put her hand on every piece of paper that ever came in or went out (copies) of the office. I don't know her system, but she was ready for any explanation, disputes, audit, whatever. She could document everything, every time. When there was no paper, she had notes, good notes.

It can be a real life saver.

Howard Rosenberg
01-06-2006, 2:12 PM
Drawings are done by hand on graph paper but I use Excel for:
- cutlists
and related notes
- finishing details
proprtions and settings
temperature
impromptu notes
- hardware

It's easy to organize - two giant fields:
- categories on the left
- details on the right

As I explain to everyone who watches me work, "I don't like think. If i've got notes, I can always go back to recreate ruined portions etc..."

HTH.
Howard

Don Baer
01-06-2006, 3:59 PM
I pile stuff here there and everywhere. Oh you ment Fileing system...:o

Larry Browning
01-06-2006, 6:20 PM
I pile stuff here there and everywhere. Oh you ment Fileing system...:o I'm sorta like you Don. But sometimes it's better if you find the source of stuff so you can get the same thing again. I think I can remember where I bought my table saw, but trying get the same door knobs is a bit more challenging!

Jack Hogoboom
01-06-2006, 6:26 PM
I always have great ideas after I finish a project....

I've thought about buying a used time clock from EBay and using it to track the time I spend on a project, since I have absolutely no clue about how long it actually takes me to build something. Because shop time is so scarce, it may take me 6 months to get in 15 hours of shop time.

If I were serious about it, I would just scan invoices and parts numbers and burn everything onto a CD or DVD. That way, you wouldn't have to store all the paper, but you could easily access your records on a project-by-project basis.

My .02.

Jack

Frank Chaffee
01-06-2006, 6:27 PM
Howard Rosenberg,
Would you be willing to post a small sample spreadsheet here, or even a template?

I also use spreadsheets for organizing but am not really too skilled in their use.

Frank

Larry Browning
01-06-2006, 6:33 PM
One of my goals for this year is to get my shop more organized. I thought tis would be a good place to start. I would like to actually have a "plan" for how I am going to document and keep the information about each of my projects. I think keeping every piece of paper gathering up everything I can think of really is overkill. I really am not that interested in how much each of my projects cost me to make (I think it would just depress me) I just want to keep the stuff that I will most likely want to reference at a later date. I also want to organize it in such a way that I can actually find it later. I have found that if I keep everything, I usually can't find anything, because of all the mountain of stuff I need to go thru. It's just frustrating.

Frank Pellow
01-06-2006, 6:56 PM
One of my goals for this year is to get my shop more organized. I thought tis would be a good place to start. I would like to actually have a "plan" for how I am going to document and keep the information about each of my projects. I think keeping every piece of paper gathering up everything I can think of really is overkill. I really am not that interested in how much each of my projects cost me to make (I think it would just depress me) I just want to keep the stuff that I will most likely want to reference at a later date. I also want to organize it in such a way that I can actually find it later. I have found that if I keep everything, I usually can't find anything, because of all the mountain of stuff I need to go thru. It's just frustrating.
I find that it is very much easier to keep information organized and easily retrievable if I first put the majority of that information onto a computer.

Larry Browning
01-06-2006, 8:11 PM
I find that it is very much easier to keep information organized and easily retrievable if I first put the majority of that information onto a computer.
Frank,
I am envious of those that are able to have the dicipilne to actually take the time to enter stuff into a computer. I just can't seem to make myself do it. If I have some paperwork like a receipt or invoice It usually gets thrown out with the bag or dropped in between the seats of the car or trolls just eat it. I just know I cannot seem to keep up with this stuff. In the grand scheme of things documentation and record keeping is an afterthought at best. I really don't know how I can change, I have tried, and I guess I will keep trying, but I think it is just not in me.

Barry O'Mahony
01-06-2006, 8:13 PM
I keep everything electronically. Plans are done on Visio. If something exists only in paper form, I scan the image and convert it to a JPEG.

'much better to have a bunch of computer files that take up no room than to have paper file folders. And I can access the files no matter where I am. This does depend on a diligent backup strategy, though. Hard disk drives have limited lifespans, and they often fail with little or no warning.