PDA

View Full Version : HNT Gordon Spokeshaves

Stephen Rosenthal
02-09-2021, 4:26 PM
I’m thinking of adding to my spokeshaves and am considering the HNT Gordons. I had a long discussion about them with the US distributor (always a plus when you call the company number and the owner answers the phone), but am curious if anyone has had hand’s-on experience with them. I know Derek wrote about the older version, but before I take the plunge I’d like to know of any opinions (pro or con) of the newer versions, especially the small one.

Kevin Adams
02-09-2021, 10:48 PM
Hi Stephen,

Do you own any spokeshaves now? What do you generally use them for? The Gordon shaves are excellent tools and I own all 3 of them. That said, they wouldn’t necessarily be the first spokeshave I would buy as nice as they are.

Thanks.
Kevin

Stephen Rosenthal
02-10-2021, 12:05 AM
Hi Kevin,

I own a number of Stanleys: #s 151, 53, 54, 55, 63, 64, 65: MF #1 cigar shave; Woodjoy 3 inch blade flat shave and a no-name wooden shave that has seen better days. I make high quality feline, canine and avian furniture and use them on almost every project. I work almost exclusively with hardwoods, some involving gnarly grain and many curves. While I am not unhappy with their performance, I am often left feeling that the Stanleys could use an upgrade. There is life left on all the blades, but some are nearing the point of replacement and rather than spend the money on that, I have begun considering the HNT Gordons or Boggs, the latter of which are all out of stock and who knows when they will be back. I am sure the Boggs are phenomenal, but after watching a few Doucette and Wolfe YouTube videos, I think the Gordons would suit me better. I like that the Gordons can be used as a scraper shave by reversing the blade. If I do get the Gordons, I will likely sell a few of the others.

As you know, these shaves are very pricey, so any input as to your experience with them would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Rob Luter
02-10-2021, 8:59 AM
I can vouch for the Boggs shaves, but as you say availability is an issue. I've had by eye on the small HNT Gordon for tight curves. I had a MF Cigar Shave but it was all but impossible to sharpen.

Kevin Adams
02-10-2021, 9:28 AM
Hi Steve,

It sounds like we both have a spokeshave problem haha! Based on what you have now and the work you do, I think you would enjoy the Gordon shaves. They are extremely well built and have good mass, so with the higher angle do very well in hardwoods, esp with tricky grain. I like mine a lot. Of course, the L-N is excellent as well and you may be able to find one used (albeit for new price). A very nice “replacement” for the Stanley if you like the adjusters is the LV shave and I like mine a lot. It may be the first one I reach for and then the Boggs. I have the O1 blade in my LV as it’s so easy to sharpen on oil stones and stays sharp plenty long. The Gordon is usually taken out if the other 2 aren’t getting it done. You might check out the small Gordon, too, as that is really nice for tight areas and small details.

Hope this helps, take care.

Kevin

Stephen Rosenthal
02-10-2021, 11:37 AM
Hi Steve,

It sounds like we both have a spokeshave problem haha!

Kevin

You might say that.😎 But at least they’re not dust collectors. Obviously the 65 chamfer shave and 55 convex shave are specialty tools that don’t get as much use, but I’ve always been disappointed in the results I get with the 63 and 64. They’re designed for delicate operations a la the LN small bronze shave, but I would argue that they’re anything but. Could be my technique and, sure, I could probably spend a lot of time fettling to improve their performance, but I prefer to work with my tools instead of on my tools. The 53 and 54 are essentially the same except for the handles. And for the reason that Rob cites, the MF cigar shave is a pain in the tuchas to sharpen and I usually try to find a workaround to avoid using it. Used Boggs are now selling for double the new price, which I won’t pay. That’s why I figured the 3 Gordons would fill in all of those blanks. You’re input confirms it and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Thanks,
Steve

Mike Henderson
02-10-2021, 11:51 AM
I can vouch for the Boggs shaves, but as you say availability is an issue. I've had by eye on the small HNT Gordon for tight curves. I had a MF Cigar Shave but it was all but impossible to sharpen.

I have a bunch of spokeshaves but not the HNT Gordon ones. The Boggs from LN are very good for fine work.

Mike

Patrick Whitehorn
02-10-2021, 12:26 PM
Kevin,
You mention that you probably reach for the LV over the LN - do you find that one works better than the other? I have heard that the LN (Boggs) has a very fine mouth; do you have any issue with taking fine shavings with the LV? I ask mostly because I - heretical though it is - don't really like bronze as a tool material.

Thanks!

Patrick

Hi Steve,

It sounds like we both have a spokeshave problem haha! Based on what you have now and the work you do, I think you would enjoy the Gordon shaves. They are extremely well built and have good mass, so with the higher angle do very well in hardwoods, esp with tricky grain. I like mine a lot. Of course, the L-N is excellent as well and you may be able to find one used (albeit for new price). A very nice “replacement” for the Stanley if you like the adjusters is the LV shave and I like mine a lot. It may be the first one I reach for and then the Boggs. I have the O1 blade in my LV as it’s so easy to sharpen on oil stones and stays sharp plenty long. The Gordon is usually taken out if the other 2 aren’t getting it done. You might check out the small Gordon, too, as that is really nice for tight areas and small details.

Hope this helps, take care.

Kevin

Kevin Adams
02-10-2021, 10:24 PM
Hi Patrick,

The LN Boggs shave is just about perfect for fine work. Just really solid, thick blade, great feel. The LV is perhaps not as well balanced given the adjusters on top, however I like that I can quickly move the blade for fine cuts on one side and heavy on the other. You have the best of both worlds and by skewing the cut, can take very fine and chatter-free cuts. Honestly, they are all good and I’ve watched woodworkers a lot more skilled than me take the most beautiful shavings with a Stanley #53 with the original blade.

One of the things I love about spokeshaves is how close you can get to the wood and you can take wonderful shavings, either hogging or fine, with a slight change in position. Lovely tools.

Hope this helps. Take care.

Kevin

Patrick Whitehorn
02-11-2021, 8:06 AM
Kevin,
I appreciate the input - thank you!

Patrick