PDA

View Full Version : sharpening fibre wheel, grinder, rouge

Warren Lake
02-09-2021, 3:46 PM
I posted this on the main forum but not response so will try it again here.

I inherited this set up as is but had asked his son if there was an attachment that slide on the tool rest. He said yes and likely it got left at their old home before a move. I havent seen this style of tool rest.

The fibre wheel is not very true but still some green compound and just touch the chisel lightly and its a mirror right away.
Where am I looking for what slides on the tool rest? It was a complete set up purchased from some place, Lee Valley or someone. For now i can use it free hand but would like the proper jig set up it came with

thanks

Chris Hammersley
02-09-2021, 4:11 PM
Is it possibly homemade?

Warren Lake
02-09-2021, 5:26 PM
thanks

dont think so. Son passed sadly months after the father so info cut off. Ill take a photo of the brand. All it is is a regular grinder turned around backwards which is normal I think for this type of grinding just not a thing I we had when I was taught. There is some type of coarse fibre wheel on the other side which also turns backwards like this does, the only way it would be safe to use.

It arrived and ive made sense of the concept right away but since whatever jig was on it dont have the info. From the brand i can talk to the people who supplied it. im wondering if it was more used for carving tools rather than sharpening. He was old school and gave me his old oil stones.

Jim Matthews
02-09-2021, 8:19 PM
Only a suggestion; if you made a plywood jig for this with a cleat (like a bench hook) the moment of force is directed toward you.

Fix the top half of an Eclipse style guide to a plywood "slide" with a cleat and go to town.

Jim Koepke
02-10-2021, 2:38 AM
Is the rotation in the direction of the arrow on the shield?

If it is, then it isn't backwards.

If it isn't there may be a jumper that has the motor turning backwards. Many older AC motors can be wired to spin in either direction. If you can get to where the power input is on the motor there is usually a wiring diagram that will explain it. It is usually just a jumper installed for one direction and removed for the other direction.

jtk

John Keeton
02-10-2021, 7:25 AM
For honing carving chisels it needs to spin opposite the directional arrow on the shield.

I use an MDF disk loaded with compound to hone my carving gouges and freehand them. But, if you want a more positive rest I would think it would be simple enough to fabricate something that would work similar to the Wolverine platform made by OneWay.

Warren Lake
02-12-2021, 1:26 AM
not a great photo but this is the Veritas part, it doesn't fit the plate on the grinder as the space below is not wide enough. Ive had the chisel in the other way then spun the guide and did this now. By chisel extension from the jig I could land where i wanted on the bevel. Make a secondary before on the tip or just land on the hollow grind. Looking from the side to setup how it contacts the wheel.

The Bench Grinder is from Busy Bee.

Have mentioned I asked the son if there was a jig that rode on this plate and he said yes. Have emailed the company and no answer so will email again now. I know this is wrong but its still better than totally free hand. This way I can land consistent once its clamped in the jig part and it does ride fine from side to side on the chisel just have to stay on it.