PDA

View Full Version : Bench Dogs?

Andrew Wayland
02-09-2021, 2:30 PM
As I wait for a Parf Guide, I’ve been looking at Bench Dogs. Any recommendations for 20mm dogs? I’ll need two larger dogs for my guide rail, and smaller dogs to support materials for cutting.

I thought this would be simple, but I’m reading that even dogs can have play which leads to inaccuracies...

Jim Becker
02-09-2021, 5:06 PM
I grabbed some 20mm SS dogs from Lee Valley. They have an M8 threaded hole top-center that's been handy for augmenting them, too. They fit "darn snug" in the holes, too.

Curt Putnam
02-09-2021, 8:32 PM
+ 1 for the Lee Valley dogs which are stainless steel. I have some TSO dogs that are aluminum that I also like

scott lipscomb
02-09-2021, 8:48 PM
I've got the Parf dogs which are a perfect fit in 3/4" birch ply made with the bit that I got with my Parf Guide set-even after a few years.

Austin Grote
02-10-2021, 7:43 AM
I use the Parf Super Dogs for the track, they expand when you tighten the adjuster on top, no slop at all.

Andrew Wayland
02-10-2021, 8:04 AM
Thanks guys. I ended up with some parf pups and some super dogs. They are a little more than I was looking to spend, but M8 knobs were out of stock...

I didn’t realize there were so many choices out there, so I appreciate the input.

If anybody had any other suggestions, keep them coming!

Will Blick
02-14-2021, 5:26 PM
even Dogs can become a slippery slope
specially the dog clamps, bases, etc.
TSO, Axminster has great selection
a few UK companies have interesting line up
Seneca in USA, all have something unique...
u really do need perfect fit dogs, as good as the parf system is, its not perfect
so adding errors in the dogs is not worth the risk.
there is several videos showing how to check your 90s with the dogs by doing 5 cut method, or just use a big WP square...