PDA

View Full Version : Jointer Noise on Startup

Brandon Lemen
02-08-2021, 9:18 PM
I recently purchased a Grizzly G0858 jointer which I've so far been pleased with. Previously, I've milled everything with hand planes, but have decided to take the dive into using machines to mill up my stock. Therefore, this is my first jointer, and I'm unsure of what is normal and abnormal. So far everything is great, but when I start up the machine it makes a very loud and brief (half a second) screech like a car tire peeling out. I haven't attempted fooling with the belt because the manual says to wait for 16 hours of operation which I'm not even close to. I'm only doing hobbiest work. Unfortunately, it's not letting me post a .mov video from my phone.

My main concern is: is this sound possibly causing harm to the machine? Should I make an adjustment before continuing to use? I should just call Grizzly, but I've been busy with work and kids and just forget during business hours.

Thanks,
Brandon

Paul F Franklin
02-08-2021, 9:29 PM
Sure sounds like belt squeal. Go ahead and adjust it, and just check it again after you've used it a while.

glenn bradley
02-08-2021, 9:35 PM
Agree it sounds like belt slip. Since it is new I would pull the belt and cycle the motor to make sure it isn't in the motor but, that's me.

Andrew Hughes
02-08-2021, 10:52 PM
Also spent the time checking the pulleys are tight. Look closely at the set screws sometimes they stack them so you might have to take one out to tighten the one that’s loose.

Brandon Lemen
02-09-2021, 9:30 PM
Thanks guy. I'll give it a look see when I get the chance.

Ken Howell
02-10-2021, 8:44 AM
I've got the same jointer and mine doesn't do that. It's got to be a belt. My table saw had that screech until I replaced the belt.

BTW - I love this jointer.

Myk Rian
02-10-2021, 8:47 AM
Just don't make the belt too tight. You don't want to start ruining bearings.

Brandon Lemen
02-14-2021, 10:58 AM
Just as a follow up to the people of the future with this same issue. It was indeed a floppy belt. I tensioned it just a touch and the sound is gone.

Thanks for the help
Brandon

Bill Dufour
02-14-2021, 1:40 PM
You could let it run with no load for several hours to let the belt settle in. Then adjust it a bit and recheck later after some real run time.
Bill D