PDA

View Full Version : Dovetail spacing layout with Leigh jig

Travis Fatzinger
02-08-2021, 5:17 AM
Hi,

I've made quite a few drawers over the years with a 12" porter cable dovetail jig. I just received a new D4R Pro and although the user manual is excellent there isn't too much on the layout of variable spaced dovetails. Is there an online or in print reference that addresses rules of thumb?

How many dovetails do you need per inch for strength on a drawer? Or are there aesthetic spacing rules as well?

Thanks,

Travis

Jim Becker
02-08-2021, 9:13 AM
The beauty of variable spaced dovetails is very much aesthetic. :) Given the increased glue service and inherent nature of a carefully cut dovetail joint, even a low number of pins/tails is going to be "darn strong". So my opinion is that you should shoot for what looks best, keeping in mind the location of any internal grooves. You'll also want to pay attention to the look if you have different height drawer in the same case so that everything looks like it goes together.

Harvey Miller
02-08-2021, 7:06 PM
Here's one "Dovetail Design" 1984 by Mark Dugenske,- https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/dovetail-design.aspx

lowell holmes
02-08-2021, 7:59 PM
I suggest you practice on scraps until you find a spacing that pleases you. An afternoon of this will yield answers you are looking for. This something not all of us will agree on.

Paul Haus
02-08-2021, 10:53 PM
Did you watch the DVD that should have come with you dovetail jig? I think you can get some ideas from that.

Travis Fatzinger
02-12-2021, 5:53 AM
Thanks for all the responses, the link to Highland was especially helpful.

I'm finishing a project with Waterlox in the shop right now so it'll be a few days until I can get out there and start experimenting.

They no longer include a DVD but I'm assuming the video content they have on their site is the same.

roger wiegand
02-12-2021, 8:43 AM
I slide them around until they look good, usually keeping the pins as small as it's possible to make them with the jig. In hardwood you don't need very much to make a very strong joint. I also prefer the narrower angle cutters-- again, skinnier pins. In a three inch tall drawer I'd use one full pin and two half pins top and bottom. In bigger pieces I keep them about an inch and a half apart. I also tend to keep them symmetrical but not strictly evenly spaced, purely for aesthetic reasons. Odd numbers tend to look better than even.