PDA

View Full Version : I'm kinda surprised--

Kev Williams
02-08-2021, 1:28 AM
11:25 Mountain Standard Time on Superbowl Sunday, and not one post about it...

But then, I never watch it ;)

Perry Hilbert Jr
02-08-2021, 6:37 AM
The last time I watched any part of a super bowl game was.........never. Played football in school and after the second year became disgusted with the whole attitude, mind set, etc. All things considered, I'd learn more watching some you tube videos.

roger wiegand
02-08-2021, 7:47 AM
Watching people bash their brains out for entertainment has lost its appeal.

Myk Rian
02-08-2021, 9:44 AM
The puppy bowl was more exciting.
:rolleyes:

Bruce Wrenn
02-08-2021, 9:54 PM
You mean the Super Bore? Who played? What was the final score? Did one team actually win it? Get my drift on how I feel about pro athletics? Total waste of time and money. Doesn't NBA stand for not basketball at all?

Bruce Page
02-08-2021, 10:29 PM
To each their own. My wife & I enjoyed watching the game and had some good German Aecht Schlenkerla Marzen beer while doing it. Maybe next year we could actually have friends & family over for SB LVI.

John K Jordan
02-08-2021, 10:32 PM
Did I miss it again this year? I forgot to notice. And I have no friends who notice.

I attended football games in high school in the 60s and that's because attendance was mandatory for those in the band.
All I remember was waiting with my trumpet until the half-time show then waiting until I could go home.
Then I attended a collage that refused to have a football team.

Dave Zellers
02-08-2021, 11:54 PM
Then I attended a collage that refused to have a football team.

Well, to be fair, a bunch of pictures pasted together wouldn't be all that exciting. :D

Dave Zellers
02-08-2021, 11:59 PM
I'm losing my interest in sports too but I still like football.

Rick Potter
02-09-2021, 1:24 AM
I am also not a sports fan. I must admit, that my bride and I watched it, and enjoyed it. Before the game neither of us was sure who was in it. But it was nice seeing sports history made.

Then again maybe it was because we sprung for a very good pizza also.

I will probably see another game next year, if I am not busy.

Jim Koepke
02-09-2021, 1:32 AM
My only interest was if Brady was going to get another ring.

Though my football fandom is more toward Joe Montana. He used to have the most rings. Other than that football isn't my thing.

jtk

Mel Fulks
02-09-2021, 2:52 AM
I don't watch all of the games, but Tom Brady is the best. He has been written off a couple of times ,but doesn't seem to
hold grudges. Bellichek is a really strange guy ; only thing I can figure about the way he treated Brady is he must have
been thinking "I'm the STAR and don't like being upstaged". No one loves the game more than Brady. The tv sports guys
around my burg were doing a lot of serf - like slobbering over the loser QB....but I think they will be off stage for a while.
Some sports "greats" we're admired for being able to play pretty good ,even with a hang-over and drug abuse. Some of
them were envied for being able to go in bar and pick up a girl. Brady is a loving family guy who plays football because
he loves to do it. Why should he give up his hobby-career?

Jon Grider
02-09-2021, 10:32 AM
What is this Superbowl thing, a new breakfast cereal?

Myk Rian
02-09-2021, 9:58 PM
Did I miss it again this year? I forgot to notice. And I have no friends who notice.
You need to get out of the shop more often, John. 😏

John K Jordan
02-09-2021, 10:30 PM
You need to get out of the shop more often, John. 😏

Actually, I need to get INTO the shop more, especially to the lathe! I've been spending too much time feeding llamas and horses, raising peacocks, clearing underbrush, and moving dirt and rocks. Good clean fun, though!

Today I learned how in intubate a bird for feeding/medicating if ill. A vet friend brought the knowledge and all the stuff and another friend and I caught a chicken - it volunteered to be a practice patient by not moving fast enough. I don't have any sick birds now but it's a good skill to have just in case. At the moment I'm nursing one of my breeding peahens for another problem: last week I found her with so much blood on her feathers I thought she was a goner. A closer look revealed a torn toe which is something I can treat!

JKJ

roger wiegand
02-10-2021, 8:20 AM
Today I learned how in intubate a bird for feeding/medicating if ill.

JKJ

The pedant in me can't resist-- intubation is inserting a tube to supply air to the lungs, what you are learning is gavage. Different pipes, different endpoints.

John K Jordan
02-10-2021, 1:59 PM
The pedant in me can't resist-- intubation is inserting a tube to supply air to the lungs, what you are learning is gavage. Different pipes, different endpoints.

What we learned is often called "gastric intubation", inserting a tube that goes to the stomach instead of the airways. In humans it's more commonly called "nasogastric intubation" since the tube is generally inserted through the nose (with anesthesia). This is sometimes used for treatment and sometimes for diagnostics. Some years ago a medical team used these techniques in a treatment that ultimately saved the life of my youngest son. Sir Google has lots of info.

In birds nasal access is not possible so gastric intubation is done by holding open the beak and sliding the tube down the throat. An important skill learned is to MISS the tracheal passage.
This is sometimes done to break up an obstruction in the crop or to provide nutrients or electrolytes to the stomach to attempt to kick start things if necessary, just one step in a multi-part treatment. Sometimes it can be done with a dropper or syringe but at the risk of putting fluid into the lungs - the tube is safer and more effective. The tubes the vet brought are in sterile packages labeled "feeding tube and urethral catheter for veterinary use only". They are connected to a syringe with catheter tip or an irrigation syringe.

This training session followed a phone conversation a few weeks ago with the vet over a peacock which was fading fast, wouldn't eat or drink. Without training and the equipment I was unable to use this method (lost the bird). There are few vets with strong experience in bird health and unfortunately she was too far away for a visit. She traveled to my farm to teach the techniques to me and another friend. We also learned some new techniques for handling large birds for a variety of treatments. And she wanted no payment for the time and equipment but accepted a peahen in exchange! :) This vet is also a llama expert and did a procedure on a llama while she was here. It was a great day!

I work closely with vets and vet students whenever possible. Something I found out over the years: the best vets love animals and love to help people who love animals! Those in it for the money, not so much...

Just like the human medical field, there is so much to learn in this field, so much to know, lots of ways to help. If fact, in some ways the animal field is more difficult since the human medical field deals with ONE species! Vet schools can often use a variety of specimens for study so I keep a freezer here for that. (So far they haven't wanted any skunks.) Here are some vet students doing a dissection in my multi-purpose shop as practice and to look for clues in a somewhat rare skeletal disorder. Good clean fun!

JKJ

John K Jordan
02-10-2021, 2:25 PM
BTW, I inquired: for this use they consider "intubation" to describe the process of inserting a tube or maybe the presence of the inserted tube; "gavage" to describe the process of introducing substance through the tube, such as forced feeding. Perhaps others use the terms differently.

Rigid, stainless steel tubes are used with some animals.

JKJ

roger wiegand
02-10-2021, 6:29 PM
Ah, I stand corrected. The pedant gets his comeuppance. When we were doing it to rats the stainless cannulas were always called "gavage needles" though they obviously weren't pointed.

John K Jordan
02-10-2021, 7:18 PM
Ah, I stand corrected. The pedant gets his comeuppance. When we were doing it to rats the stainless cannulas were always called "gavage needles" though they obviously weren't pointed.

The instructions on the plastic feeding tubes indicate they can be chilled to make them rigid to aid in insertion but become flexible when warmed to body temperature. That might help with deep insertion and use on long necks.

There is no end of something new to learn. I learned yesterday of "donor" cows who had a port installed into a stomach, solely for extracting gut contents to transfer to and kick start another ruminant needing the microbial population. I also learned that camelids are not ruminants, but modified or pseudoruminants, having three stomach compartments instead of four. The notorious llama spit that almost everyone who visits asks about is regurgitated fermented food from the first and second compartments. Somehow they are able to explosively propel this a good distance with good aim. Unfortunately it is nasty. Fortunately llamas don't spit at people unless they are tormented and abused. There, the pedantic pundit in me revealed once again. :)