PDA

View Full Version : What to do in Dallas?

Steve Evans
01-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Hey everyone. I've got a couple of days off in Dallas later this month. Staying in the Addison area I believe, without wheels, and I'm wondering if there is any trouble I can get myself into up that way. Any and all recommendations will be considered. Also for Dallas area folks, how is public transit in your fair city.

Thanks

Steve Evans

Cecil Arnold
01-05-2006, 11:32 PM
In Dallas, like Houston, without wheels, forgit it.

Paul Prescott
01-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Public transit? What's that?

Randy Meijer
01-06-2006, 12:15 AM
Dallas does have a public bus system that serves 12 surrounding cities including Addison. Getting around during the day should be no problem but may be problematic in the evening hours. There is plenty do do and see in the area. Your problem will not be what to see;but rather what not to see. Being from Canada, you might want to try for a ticket to a Stars hockey game.

Tell us what you are interested in and maybe we can offer some specifics.

Chris Curry
01-06-2006, 2:05 AM
"Go west young man"! at least as far as Fort Worth. The Stockyards is a great place. I know this will be extremely offensive to the folks from D. If you can make time during the day, the 6th Floor Museum is open 'till 6:00pm. It really is a must. Check out www.jfk.org (http://www.jfk.org) if you'd like. Some wheels would really be nice.
I am envious of your opportunity. How large is your suitcase?
Enjoy, Chris

Martin Shupe
01-06-2006, 11:48 AM
There is a good Woodcraft store in Addison. Go to their website, and you can find the store's exact location. If you stay at the Crowne Plaza in Addison, you are within a mile of the Woodcraft and, at this time of year, you can walk it. (I would not walk it in the heat of summer.)

If you like BBQ, check out Spring Creek BBQ, a local chain with a location not too far from the Crowne Plaza. Get their pork ribs and special sauce. Don't forget to get an extra roll when the girls come around, and, if you like ice cream, try some Blue Bell for dessert.

If you are not at the Crowne Plaza, I can't help you, sorry.

Joe Pelonio
01-06-2006, 11:55 AM
Here's what you are looking for:

Link Removed.

Steve Evans
01-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Martin

We stay at the Marriott, looks like it's about mile and a bit from the Crowne Plaza, and about a 3 mile walk from woodcraft,not too far. Will have to give Spring Creek a try

Joe

as much as I'm a fan of the arts (the ballet in particular), ya might want to give a guy a heads up before they open the link in mixed company.

Randy

Probably won't be able to make it to a game this time, but possibly next time, any deals on tickets that you can recommend. We used to go to games in Raleigh-Durham for $16/ticket including a pop and dog. Was part of a family pack. Beat the hundred plus for a ticket here in TO

Chris

Also sounds interesting. Will keep it in mind. Thanks

Steve

Bob Johnson2
01-06-2006, 1:34 PM
The only thing I can remember about a couple trips to Dallas is that all the restaurants give you way too much food.

Eddie Watkins
01-06-2006, 2:11 PM
They have an aquarium and some nice museums at Fair Park just south of Downtown Dallas and usually have some nice events there. You can also look up Madison in Addison according to George Strait.:D Being without a car in DFW metro is bad and good. Its really a BIG sprawling city(s) with less than adequate public transit but you don't have to drive in the Dallas traffic.;) The 635 loop around Richardson may be the worst traffic in the US.

Ken Garlock
01-06-2006, 3:25 PM
Hello Steve.

If you are looking for a unique dining experience, go west on Beltline. Just before you get to Midway Rd, one the south side is Fogo De Chao (http://www.fogodechao.com/locations/addisonTX.htm) . It is a fixed price restaurant, a little expensive(about $35,) but well worth the cost. If you are with a group, get several of you together and take a taxi the 2 miles or so to the place. I will guarantee that you will not leave hungry. Check out the website...